Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2019, 02:26 AM

4,514 posts, read 2,526,250 times

Advertisements

Ask your atty about if filing a lis pendens is an option for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2019, 05:33 AM

8,575 posts, read 12,420,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
Ask your atty about if filing a lis pendens is an option for you.
Good suggestion. Filing a lis pendens would definitely be a good idea if they are going to file a lawsuit to require specific performance. However, if the OP is not going to pursue a legal challenge, then filing a lis pendens could potentially be considered a slander of title. It's good that the OP has an attorney to help them review their options.

Old 09-07-2019, 12:19 PM

10 posts, read 6,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
When you demanded changes to be made to be able to close the contract to suit your needs, you altered the contract.
We did not change anything, and demanded nothing. We only were trying to buy what was offered for sale, and title insurance would not sign off due to the issue on the deed. They will encounter same problem with new buyer, but it may move a bit faster as our 'team' did all the legwork in finding a resolution. By relisting with our amended contracts in hand (which actually were agreements to the sellers changes), they were operating 100% in bad faith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
What changes are you referring to? Although it is unclear from this thread the exact nature of the title issues, it is generally the Seller's responsibility to provide clear title.
Thank you. Yes, no "changes" per our direction were involved. Definitely planning on the lis pendens (and subsequent legal action). But hoping big time to avoid that.

Old 09-07-2019, 08:21 PM

12,852 posts, read 9,067,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarOffShores View Post
The deed issue says that the property cannot be conveyed due to restrictions within the subdivision and its roads. Its complicated, but we did, in the end, find a way around the deed problem (for us. New buyers would start from scratch). Not entirely sure how they managed to list it in the first place, but, I digress.
I'm not a lawyer; I don't play one on TV. And I didn't sleep in a Holiday Inn last night.

So are you saying the deed comes with restrictions saying the property can never be transferred to anyone else? I don't mean to sound obtuse, but someday the owner will pass on and leave an estate that can't be settled. I'm really confused here why this would be and even more confused why a real estate agent would try to sell something that can't be sold or someone would try to buy?

Confused???

Old 09-07-2019, 10:34 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,772,911 times
If there is a deed restriction that the property cannot have title transferred to anyone else, it sounds like the owner may only have a [U]life estate[/u], and then property would possibly revert back to previous owner or their estate on the current owners death.

In a life estate situation, there will be other documents held by the previous owner, that at time of current owners death to be filled at current owners death to revert title back to previous owner or their estate.

If you have not been in contact with previous owner to find if they still have legal rights to the property, prior to spending more time and money. If they still have rights to reclaim the property, suit against the seller would be dismissed as he has no right to sell to you.

If he only owns a life estate, he legally cannot sell the property. He may know this, and could be the reason he did nothing for so long.

If I was you, I would have my attorney contact previous owner, to find purpose of deed restriction for ownership not being transferable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate