Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 09:29 AM

3,030 posts, read 2,253,180 times

Advertisements

What you pay for a property does not define its worth. Some people overpay and others get a deal, but that doesn't mean the assessment would change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2019, 09:39 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,255,526 times
as someone else has said, "Immaterial".

I apologize, but my expectation is that I know more about how residential real estate works than you do.

Let's take my county (Wake, NC) for example.

We set values every 8-10 years. Sometimes, they do 1 mid-period across-the-board adjustment. The tax value doesn't change when you buy. We don't do any type of annual or bi-annual re-assessment which is common many places (which could ONLY be algorithmic across-the-board in those locations). Our assessment is not intended to be the "market value of home X" and pays little attention to the home's sale during that 8 year period. It makes an attempt to compare nearby homes based upon square footage, number of bathrooms, a slight variation for lot sizes, and then "condition" of a home they can't see inside.

If you don't like your tax value when you buy - too bad. There is no challenge. WHen they do their 8-10 year re-assessment, THEN you can challenge. But they can do what they want.

Let's say for example you bought a house for $500K 6 years ago. You believe it to be worth $600K today. When you bought, the tax assessment was $540K. They reassess it for $630K today. They reassess all the similar homes nearby for $610-660K. You decide to challenge it. You pay for a certified appraisal that says $600K, which includes the condition noted by the appraiser, and verifies the square footage/bath count. The tax man says "great, we show your home as 2,750 sqft not 2,870 sqft from the appraisal, so we're going to raise your tax value to $635K."

If my math/timeline isn't clear, let me know.

Old 09-12-2019, 10:16 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,982,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
as someone else has said, "Immaterial".

I apologize, but my expectation is that I know more about how residential real estate works than you do.

Let's take my county (Wake, NC) for example.

We set values every 8-10 years. Sometimes, they do 1 mid-period across-the-board adjustment. The tax value doesn't change when you buy. We don't do any type of annual or bi-annual re-assessment which is common many places (which could ONLY be algorithmic across-the-board in those locations). Our assessment is not intended to be the "market value of home X" and pays little attention to the home's sale during that 8 year period. It makes an attempt to compare nearby homes based upon square footage, number of bathrooms, a slight variation for lot sizes, and then "condition" of a home they can't see inside.

If you don't like your tax value when you buy - too bad. There is no challenge. WHen they do their 8-10 year re-assessment, THEN you can challenge. But they can do what they want.

Let's say for example you bought a house for $500K 6 years ago. You believe it to be worth $600K today. When you bought, the tax assessment was $540K. They reassess it for $630K today. They reassess all the similar homes nearby for $610-660K. You decide to challenge it. You pay for a certified appraisal that says $600K, which includes the condition noted by the appraiser, and verifies the square footage/bath count. The tax man says "great, we show your home as 2,750 sqft not 2,870 sqft from the appraisal, so we're going to raise your tax value to $635K."

If my math/timeline isn't clear, let me know.
I am sorry, but I am from Fairfax County, where household income is double that of Wake County, and 8 year assessments would never happen. Now, I live in Bangkok, and prime land is 60 million per acre, and 8 years is an eternity, because the economy tends to grow rather quickly. Assessments occur every four years, but there are almost no annual property taxes. In the highly unlikely event of me buying anything in a county that went 57% Hillary, I will send you a PM, but don't hold your breath.

Old 09-12-2019, 10:49 AM

8,577 posts, read 12,450,789 times
Assessment practices are local. In Michigan, assessments are updated every year and tax assessments can increase dramatically upon a sale.

Generally, however, I think that most foreclosures or REO sales are disregarded in terms of establishing market value. I know that they are in Michigan. I don't totally agree with that (in cases where a property is marketed fully and ample time is allowed for a sale), but assessors tend to disregard them because they feel that the Seller has a more-than-normal motivation to sell, thereby skewing what would otherwise be considered an arms-length market price. The best course of action, when buying a foreclosure, would be to immediately pay for an appraisal to help establish the market value given the condition of the house.

Old 09-12-2019, 11:13 AM

They really came in line in Vegas and Phoenix, but there was almost nothing but REO, especially in the condo complexes. There was even a guy, who still had his place on the market for 125k, when I bought mine for 22k. He mailed the keys in a few months later. Late 2009. I will look it up, if possible, but I think my assessment dropped from 88k to 28500 in one year.

Old 09-12-2019, 11:37 AM

354 posts, read 273,736 times
You can not use distressed sales such as foreclosures as comparable comps. The attorney I spoke to last year told me that those comps are not valid and don't get included. You would have to find regular market sold homes with similiar square footage that sold for less than your tax assessed value for you to have a case. You cannot file a tax appeal based on what you purchased your home at... this simply isn't how tax appeals work and especially if it was a REO distressed property. If you want to try to put a case together you need to do your research on comparable comps and see what they sold at.

Old 09-12-2019, 12:22 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,381,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
Except, nearly every assessor office is staffed with certified appraisers.
Not in my state. I think they now have to take some 1 day course from the state, but they are definitely not required to be certified appraisers or even hire certified appraisers.

Old 09-12-2019, 02:59 PM

79 posts, read 51,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The onus will be entirely on you to demonstrate a market based reason for the difference
vs some less than arms length arrangement with other considerations in the deal.

Tax appraisals are recalculated rather often (3-8 years).
Tax appraisal amount (regardless of mil rate) is almost universally set BELOW market value.
How did this property get appraised mistakenly by no less than 100%? Perhaps even 150%?

Here in Colorado Springs, we get reassessed every TWO years.

Old 09-12-2019, 04:22 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,453,804 times
I protest my taxes every year. And won every year. We've lived here for nearly 15 years, so I use recently sold comps. But I know people who have recently bought who used their sold price alone and won. I also know people who have used an appraisal from a refi and won with no comps presented.

Old 09-12-2019, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
I protest my taxes every year. And won every year. We've lived here for nearly 15 years, so I use recently sold comps. But I know people who have recently bought who used their sold price alone and won. I also know people who have used an appraisal from a refi and won with no comps presented.
What market?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate