Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Carpet or Hardwood?
All Carpet. 13 9.22%
All Hardwood. 128 90.78%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 08:29 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,528,318 times

Advertisements

Porcelain tile that looks like hardwood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2019, 09:04 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,613,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
So....
You have to choose between two identical houses in identical settings in the same neighborhood. Both homes fit your needs perfectly.
But, you have a choice to make:
They both have tile or vinyl in wet areas, i.e., baths, kitchen, laundry.
The rest of the house is either hardwood floors or carpet.

Which house will you pick?
You don't have my choice for the poll: Part hardwood, part carpet. I'd have carpet in bedrooms (a special pet-resistant carpet, and not too expensive), but hardwoods in main living areas, if I only had to be concerned with appearance and maintenance. Due to my climate, I'd go for tile in wet areas, and maybe laminate in main living areas. I don't like laminate, but there's no great solid surface covering for slab houses in very high humidity areas. (Ceramic tile would crack over time because of movement.)

Geographic area & climate matter. Here in the very wet, deep south, on a slab...wood is not an ideal choice. They would constantly be shrinking & puffing from the high humidity, both from the air and from the ground, where the water level isn't much below the slab. If there is any flooding, the floors would need replacing...and your already sky high homeowner's insurance premium will reflect that.

A carpet with thick padding is ideal to protect the home from the damp slab. It would need replacing, if there's flooding, but less costly.

Ceramic tile is good for these conditions, but will crack over time, due to movement. Just like a cement patio slab and driveway will crack.

Wood would be fine in a house on a pier & slab, though. Wood is my preference, if I didn't live where I live, or I lived in a pier & beam house.

Last edited by bpollen; 09-16-2019 at 09:16 AM..

Old 09-16-2019, 09:07 AM

43,376 posts, read 77,290,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
You don't have my choice for the poll: Part hardwood, part carpet. I'd have carpet in bedrooms (a special pet-resistant carpet, and not too expensive), but hardwoods in main living areas. Tile in utility room. Kitchen - continuation of wood, if visible from main living areas, or tile.

There are only two houses in the poll.
On purpose.

The trend and consumer desire are clear when those are the choices.

Old 09-16-2019, 09:20 AM

35,133 posts, read 31,431,958 times
Wood. It's much cleaner. Carpet in the bedrooms would be OK if it's well taken care of.

Old 09-16-2019, 10:53 AM

13,723 posts, read 12,486,453 times
Hardwood. I prefer carpet in bedrooms but larger area rugs can suffice. I "Prefer" carpet but face it, it has a short life all things considered. And, harder to keep from stains, etc...

Old 09-16-2019, 01:15 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,193,730 times
The only carpet in our house is in the half finished basement and I like it that way. Yes, we sweep pet hair daily but the dust and hair is still there in carpet, you just don't see it. I'd rather see what needs to be cleaned instead of pretending it doesn't exist. Carpet really grosses me out (I rarely go in the basement). I don't understand why people need carpet in the bedroom. Wouldn't an area rug suffice?

Plus, it just looks WAAAAAAAY better than carpet.

The hardwood in our house is 95 years old. Can't do that with carpet.

Old 09-16-2019, 02:00 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,463,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I agree. I never knew how much dirt was UNDER my carpet until I pulled it up for hardwood floors.

Area rugs can be cleaned, washed depending on size; or just thrown out when they get dusty and dingy.

I have severe allergies and hope to never live in another house/condo with wall to wall carpet.
It's truly eye opening to pull up carpet. Those who call themselves clean freaks are really in for a rude awakening if they think their wall to wall carpeted homes are clean.

Old 09-16-2019, 02:01 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,463,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
There are only two houses in the poll.
On purpose.

The trend and consumer desire are clear when those are the choices.
And the choice is clear.

Old 09-16-2019, 04:24 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,809,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
I can't vote because I like hardwoods and they definitely would help with resale value, but I want carpet in the bedrooms.
We do too, so put in wood floors and use an area carpet, like an 8 x 11.....

Old 09-17-2019, 04:21 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,249,262 times
This wall to wall carpet in the bedroom thing...anybody with solid flooring knows how much more 'stuff' settles under the bed than out in the open. "Swiffering" gets it pretty easy.
But vacuuming under there?? Not an easy or thorough job.
And yes, I did deal with it for years and thankfully, no more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate