Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2019, 07:44 AM

21,995 posts, read 9,574,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by volfan4life87 View Post
There were at least 5 within just a short drive's distance that were contingent on Redfin. None that I'm aware of have closed, but they're ahead of me - they have gotten offers which were accepted. I haven't even gotten a bad offer yet.

The realtor wants feels the home itself is fine, it's just the floor plan isn't for everyone and it's going to take the right family. Right or wrong, I tend to agree with you - money can change anything. He wants to do incremental price drops vs one large drop. I'm undecided but open to it. I know my bottom dollar so the increments and the time frame he's suggesting would work out, we'll just be entering months where there are even less buyers.
I wouldn't drop yet. If you drop too soon, it signals desperation. I would drop in no more than $10k increments. But not $1 or $2k.

I think if the floor plan is not as good as the comps, you need to adjust the price for that. If your agent is pricing it the same as the comps but it has a big negative compared to them, that is not the right price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2019, 07:50 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,707,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelfer View Post
It’s so dull looking and the pics don’t do you any favors. (A pic of a railing—really)?

You should have the house restaged with some colorful stuff in it, and pics retaken on a sunny day. One thing you are going to have an uphill battle with is the yard. For $325k, I would expect a nice deck or patio or something that will allow me to entertain outside, especially since your price point is to younger people and it’s Tennessee, which has 900 sunny days a year.

And Boomer is spot on. New construction is getting overlooked because builders just don’t listen half the time and make stupid decisions, then wonder why their product won’t move.
Yes, I agree that the pictures are awful and the home needs some staging. Some just seem to be pictures of what look to be a huge sectional, and they aren’t in any sort of order at all. I looked on zillow and a few appeared to be tiny compared to others, which was also frustrating. If possible, I think taking out that huge couch and putting in something else more to scale (or removing a part of the sectional) would really help that room. That couch is covering up the entryway and the window. That is just one of the issues. Putting in some colorful accents would also help.

Old 09-20-2019, 08:22 AM

28,343 posts, read 16,423,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volfan4life87 View Post
Thank you! Our agent said the only negative feed back that's been received is the kitchen being small and all the bedrooms being upstairs. He specifically has asked some of the buyer's agents if there was a price that would get their buyer interested, answer was no. In summary he's told me he feels the floor plan is not for everyone (dated) and "it's going to take the right family." I can't afford to wait too long but can't afford to give it away either. So we'll continue to wait I suppose and probably do some price reductions along with updates to the listing description, photos, etc.
In a multi-story house, aren't the bedrooms typically upstairs? Perhaps a "master down" or guest room on the first floor, but that seems to be the exception rather than the rule - at least when we were building in NC 5 years ago.

<shrug>

Old 09-20-2019, 08:42 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,680,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
I've seen billboards for:

https://www.homevestors.com/

https://www.webuyuglyhouses.com/how-does-it-work/.

I do not know anything about them, nor do I know anyone who has contacted them.

Given your sense of urgency, it might be worth contacting them.
NO NO! These guys are the bottom feeders of real estate. You will be lucky if they offer you 50% of what your house is worth. The ONLY advantage to them is that they usually offer an immediate, no- contingency closing. If the feds are after you and you have to flee the country ASAP then the webuyuglyhouses crowd might be an option. Otherwise, stay [far, far] away.

Old 09-20-2019, 09:02 AM

32,036 posts, read 36,864,916 times
Looks like a lot of house for the money, and in good shape.

I'd just hang in there, but if it's urgent you can always cut the price.

Old 09-20-2019, 11:30 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,794,986 times
I just went to Realtor.com and you have some things to consider.

1: In your price range, there are a tremendous number of homes for sale in your price range. And that does not include all those homes in your price range for sale by builders, I saw on another source for new homes for sale. For the time of year, the market is saturated which always lengthens the time on market.

2: You are not in a hot time to sell your home.

3: In my research the median price of homes currently listed in Murfreesboro is $289,900.
The median price of homes that sold is $242,200. This is a solid indication that the homes over $300,000 are selling slowly.

4: A lot of buyers look at homes they would like to buy, before they settle down and down grade their search to what they can afford to buy. So just under one showing a day, means your house is not a hot seller and has not had a lot of potential able buyers looking at it, in a market your size.

5: You have three choices.

1: Sit back and wait for a buyer, which can take months.

2: Cut your price considerably.

3: Excite every Realtor in town to want to sell your home. I spent from 1972 until I finally retired as an Investment Real Estate Broker. I bought and sold a lot of homes for my investors, but did not sell homes for personal residences.

Mostly we exchanged several homes from an investor for larger investments. However when we had a home for sale, we wanted it sold immediately. I would line up a vacation package for a week for two to Hawaii or Mexico. I would print up a brochure on the home (back before modern copy machines on a small table top printing press designed for office I had purchased. I would print up another brochure offering the selling salesman on the condition the two brokers involved would give it to the selling salesman the vacation paid for by my sellers. Average cost back then was $1,000 including air fare. I would staple them together along with a vacation brochure supplied by travel agency (good and very cheap advertising for them. We would deliver enough for every salesman/saleswoman and sit back and wait for contracts. The fastest one sold, was within an hour when a couple of agents were getting married bought the home for their own use, and used the vacation package for their honeymoon.

It is just a little more now, and you would go to the Islands or Mexico.

https://www.cheapcaribbean.com/deals...-packages.html

And we never had a low ball offer doing this, as they knew I was going to have a full price offer or above that my sellers would accept.

Bought a lot of vacation packages over the year for salespeople. Never took a whole week to move the home and we always priced at a real market price, not a discount price.

I found this worked a lot better than adding a percentage or two, of commission.

Old 09-20-2019, 12:47 PM

5,297 posts, read 5,251,932 times
So you dropped it $2,000. What move is that supposed to do exactly? Its not even a blip on the screen. When I was shopping for a house with a friend, those teeny drops turned us away; made us think the seller isnt serious about negotiating. How long do you plan on staying at that price before you make another $2,000 drop? And then another? And another? If you will make 3 or 4 of those drops, why not make it entire drop now, so people searching will see it? It sounds like no matter what, you have to sell it. Wouldnt you rather sooner than later?

Old 09-20-2019, 01:31 PM

21,995 posts, read 9,574,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
So you dropped it $2,000. What move is that supposed to do exactly? Its not even a blip on the screen. When I was shopping for a house with a friend, those teeny drops turned us away; made us think the seller isnt serious about negotiating. How long do you plan on staying at that price before you make another $2,000 drop? And then another? And another? If you will make 3 or 4 of those drops, why not make it entire drop now, so people searching will see it? It sounds like no matter what, you have to sell it. Wouldnt you rather sooner than later?

Old 09-20-2019, 02:41 PM

3,157 posts, read 2,273,768 times
Drop the price to the absolute lowest you can possible go and still cover all your necessary costs/expenses. IMO, that is all you can do.

Old 09-20-2019, 03:01 PM

586 posts, read 556,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I wouldn't drop yet. If you drop too soon, it signals desperation. I would drop in no more than $10k increments. But not $1 or $2k.

I think if the floor plan is not as good as the comps, you need to adjust the price for that. If your agent is pricing it the same as the comps but it has a big negative compared to them, that is not the right price.
A price drop for less than $10k in your prince range is meaningless. Someone would just go ahead and offer $5k less on your current price if it were that close for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate