Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2019, 12:57 PM

34 posts, read 27,465 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, I'm trying to sell my home in probably not the most ideal time of year but I really need it to sell quickly due to some personal issues. My home has been listed for 3 weeks and has had two open houses, lots of showings (I've lost count, probably closer to 20 than 10 but I'd say under 20) but not a single offer. I already know the first thought is PRICE but my home is priced very comparably to current listings and previous sales in my area of Murfreesboro. I'm extremely anxious to sell, again, due to personal reasons but obviously don't want to just start dropping the price and give the house away. The downstairs HVAC is 5 years old, split-unit is 4 years old, 3 year old 3/4-inch hard wood flooring in all the downstairs, 2 year old thick padded, high quality carpet in every other part of the home that isn't a bathroom. I haven't received any feedback that the home is priced high, but have received feedback that the kitchen is somewhat small (it is) and that buyers do not like that all of the bedrooms are upstairs.

Ideally I'd like to be under contract before the end of this month or early October before we hit the dead period/holiday season. Any ideas where I should go from here? There are other homes in the area that have listed around the time that my home listed and are already listed as contingent on Redfin, which was a bit depressing to see.

Listing below:

https://www.redfin.com/TN/Murfreesbo.../home/60850429

https://www.realtracs.com/listings/2...rt=defaultDesc

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...d/?view=public
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2019, 01:11 PM

7,251 posts, read 7,096,061 times
Imo: Dated baths, dated kitchen, not open concept.

Old 09-18-2019, 01:22 PM

34,114 posts, read 83,086,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volfan4life87 View Post
I already know the first thought is PRICE but ...
Assuming the lookers were actually qualified (don't just assume so)...
then it's almost always about price vs location, condition, etc or the new development nearby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
^^ Like that.

Last edited by MrRational; 09-18-2019 at 01:43 PM..

Old 09-18-2019, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Completely agree, but with that said the other homes with offers that have some of those features are priced at $134-$149/SF whereas we're at $131/SF. I don't know if the competing inventory and time of year just means they're going to sell first and we have to wait a bit longer, or if we're priced wrong. A $10-15k drop in price will only change your mortgage by about $50-$60, the annual escrow change can fluctuate more than that lol. So feels like dropping anything less than ~$20k wouldn't do a thing. Maybe I'm just being impatient..

Old 09-18-2019, 01:48 PM

718 posts, read 600,409 times
There are a lot of new construction homes in your area, within the same price point, square footage and beds & baths. The new construction homes may sway buyers towards them and away from you, do to HGTV syndrome.

Though your house looks very nice, I am not sure you can compete with the new construction homes within the same price point, size, etc...

It will come down to your priority of needing to sell quickly, which will require lowering the price.

Old 09-18-2019, 02:08 PM

7,251 posts, read 7,096,061 times
And I would say this isn't the time of year people are looking to move. School has started, cooler weather is coming.

Old 09-18-2019, 02:16 PM

289 posts, read 225,383 times
The only variable you have control of is price so IF you need to sell quickly for reasons that you can’t change, then you have to lower the price. I don’t like the “death by 1000 paper cuts” style of dropping a few thousand every few weeks. My preference on price drops is once and done .. drop it down to where you are willing to sell with a bit of room for negotiation and go from there. Remember, you have some carrying costs every month even if you own the house without a mortgage. Also, don’t look at the price as only a few dollars a more on a mortgage payment for a potential buyer. More and more buyers are cash buyers so they don’t think that way. And those that do think that way are not being smart buyers.

Last edited by Spokaneinvestor; 09-18-2019 at 02:29 PM..

Old 09-18-2019, 02:20 PM

34,114 posts, read 83,086,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volfan4life87 View Post
...priced at $134-$149/SF whereas we're at $131/SF.
You don't buy or sell by the sq ft

Quote:
So feels like dropping anything less than ~$20k wouldn't do a thing.
$20K vs what? $85,000 or $485,000?

Quote:
Maybe I'm just being impatient..
That too.

Old 09-18-2019, 02:39 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,853,012 times
Unless there is some 'fatal flaw' in your home, it sounds like price is likely the culprit. Are other homes in your area moving - or likewise, experiencing multiple showings without sales?

As someone else pointed out, homes don't sell by the square foot, any more than automobiles sell by the pound. The fact that you have focused on this, rather than the overall price of comparable homes, suggests an "adjusted square footage," customized to get you to $131 per (?).

Are similarly sized homes in your development, claiming less square footage? Buyers will quickly pick-up on that, ... even if you believe a higher number is justified. (Have you, for example, converted a garage or patio to living area and are now claiming that added footage?)

Old 09-18-2019, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
You don't buy or sell by the sq ft

$20K vs what? $85,000 or $485,000?

That too.
Did you even look at the listing - $324,999. $20k of said listing price. $/SF in reference to similar homes within 2 min of my home within 10% or so of asking price of my listed home. And yes I suppose I'm being impatient; forgive me for being so whilst going through marital issues and trying to dump a house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate