Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2019, 07:41 AM

165 posts, read 118,899 times

Advertisements

We've been looking for homes in our area for the last couple of months and have a pretty clear idea of the neighborhoods we're interested in.

We are a bit apprehensive about getting preapproved and having it expire if we don't find a home in time (I'm assuming you have to go through the process all over again? and then also have a hard credit pull again? or am I wrong on that?)

Anyway - we're looking for a set of "must haves" that don't come around often, and the neighborhoods we're interested in seem to have somewhat low inventory/turnover. At the same time, for those very same reasons we want to be ready to move quickly if/when the time comes.

What should we do?

Thanks all.

Last edited by ginan; 10-02-2019 at 08:22 AM.. Reason: Meant preapproved where I said prequalified
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2019, 07:51 AM

11,840 posts, read 34,482,791 times
#1 Get pre-approved.

That way you are contracting writing ready, when you find “it” whenever that happens.

Old 10-02-2019, 08:02 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,862,206 times
Pre-approval is good in a seller's market where homes are often getting multiple bidders. Also, for those who have some question about how much house mortgage they will qualify for. Pre-approval might also accelerate the closing process (?) - Pre-approval means you've already been approved for a specific loan amount.

"Pre-qualification" is only the first step in the mortgage approval process and doesn't really mean much, except that you have a banking relationship and some financial resources. It does indicate to the seller that you are a serious buyer and have a better probability of mortgage approval than someone who has not been "pre-qualified."

Old 10-02-2019, 08:11 AM

34,138 posts, read 83,145,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginan View Post
Should we get pre-qualified?
Absolutely. And whatever number they imply you qualify for? Plan to spend considerably LESS.
Quote:
We've been looking for homes in our area for the last couple of months - we're looking for a set of "must haves"
What should we do?
Stop wasting your time on homes you 'like' ...until you settle on the hard number of what you can actually afford.

Old 10-02-2019, 08:24 AM

Thanks all.

And thanks JGHorton - I had actually used the opposite terms of what I wanted/meant.

I was considering getting PREAPPROVED - but concerned about the hard pull, not finding a home in time, etc.

It seems at the very least we should get prequalified...

JGHorton - not sure what kind of a market we're in...one house we looked at sold in 10 days, the other one in 17. How can I figure out what kind of a market we're in?

Old 10-02-2019, 08:39 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,862,206 times
The "market" is largely determined by how long houses are sitting on the market before selling; and, in a really 'hot' market, if many are selling above asking price, with multiple bidders. You can often tell this through MLS listings (ie; how long houses are sitting on the market).

If the two homes you referenced 'recently' selling in 10 and 17-days are in the same neighborhood/ area and similar to home/s you are considering, you may be in a seller's market (... or a coincidence). This means there are fewer houses than buyers and you will likely pay a higher price.

OTOH, school has just started, which generally signals the end of the spring/summer market. This is important for you to know as part of your own offer and negotiation process, so ask a couple of local realtors what trends they are seeing -- and if the post-school market has slowed considerably.

Old 10-02-2019, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
The "market" is largely determined by how long houses are sitting on the market before selling; and, in a really 'hot' market, if many are selling above asking price, with multiple bidders. You can often tell this through MLS listings (ie; how long houses are sitting on the market).

If the two homes you referenced 'recently' selling in 10 and 17-days are in the same neighborhood/ area and similar to home/s you are considering, you may be in a seller's market (... or a coincidence). This means there are fewer houses than buyers and you will likely pay a higher price.

OTOH, school has just started, which generally signals the end of the spring/summer market. This is important for you to know as part of your own offer and negotiation process, so ask a couple of local realtors what trends they are seeing -- and if the post-school market has slowed considerably.
The homes were in the same neighborhood just a couple of blocks from each other...

I am deducing by your answer that spring/summer market considered the "busier" selling season.

Will realtors just answer those questions for me, even if I'm not working with them?

Old 10-02-2019, 08:53 AM

5,342 posts, read 14,159,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginan View Post
Thanks all.

And thanks JGHorton - I had actually used the opposite terms of what I wanted/meant.

I was considering getting PREAPPROVED - but concerned about the hard pull, not finding a home in time, etc.

It seems at the very least we should get prequalified...

JGHorton - not sure what kind of a market we're in...one house we looked at sold in 10 days, the other one in 17. How can I figure out what kind of a market we're in?
Why are you so concerned about getting a “hard pull” on your credit?

Old 10-02-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
Why are you so concerned about getting a “hard pull” on your credit?
Because it's a hard pull? Lowers credit score? etc.?

Old 10-02-2019, 09:03 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,257,659 times
you shouldn't have concerns - though naturally any folks unfamiliar with the process are concerned - about the preapproval process.

If you're pre-approved today by a reputable local lender (don't use BofA or Wells), then you'd be pre-approved if it expires UNLESS your situation changes negatively.

A mortgage lender's credit pull for preapproval is NOT going to affect your credit score. You need 1 preapproval. if later on (once you find a house), you want to compare programs among different lenders, that's wise too. But you only get pre-approved by 1.

You've done 1 important part - determined a location.

Presumably, you know these neighborhoods are in your price range through some other method (an online calculator?)

You need some general house qualifications - you've done that.
You need to get a real prequalify/preapproval.
You need to find a Realtor.

After you do these 3 things, THEN you're ready to "shop" for houses. And so the ? becomes - if THE house comes up next week, will be ready?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate