Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2020, 03:27 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,639,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I 1099 the 15 year old who mows my grass.

Funny. I have to find a new one every year.
LoL. Seriously? Yeah I can see you doing it as it’s a deduction if you use your house as a office. For me at my house it’s of no use. On my rentals everyone gets paid by check and I need a invoice/receipt at payment if it’s over $100.I have paid cash for some little stuff under $100 no receipt. I usually keep about $500 on me just in case. Drives my wife crazy when I don’t give her receipts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2020, 03:42 PM

37,183 posts, read 41,391,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
How do I know? Because I’ve been in the construction industry for about 25 years and I know wtf I’m talking about. The FACT that he didn’t like the set up bought all the material and made DAILY payments and it was a all cash deal for labor is a HUGE tell that he paid peanuts and the guy was unlicensed. Most f these unlicensed guys get beat up on price and I don’t blame them for not giving paperwork. So the guy doesn’t want to give receipts now because he’s afraid. And OP wants to treat this as some kind of legitimate business deal. Are you f’ing kidding me. If I was a unlicensed contractor I wouldn’t want any paper trail. But keep on with the guy was just a contractor

As far as my not declaring $100 for a small job lol. Do you declare the income from that garage sale? How about when someone pays you cash for doing something for them. That’s income too. Considering the money was used for petty cash, to either buy lunches or given to the helpers why would I bother declaring it. Trust me lady I paid more taxes than most people made in a year. I didn’t get away with anything.
What happens when the OP sends a 1099 to the IRS? Odds are the IRS would never have asked to see OP's cash receipts. Now it is guaranteed to look for undeclared income - and not just from OP.

Those $100 "small jobs" can add up. Undeclared income is undeclared income. I have declared as little as $5 income amounts. When our kids were young we had a live in Nanny for them. We paid payroll taxes for her (even paid her share of them to give her a little more spending money) and workman's comp and unemployment taxes. A receipt is given for every penny of cash received in DH's business and every penny is declared.

The only money from a garage sale that would be taxable is any amount over what you paid for an item you sold. I have had only two garage sales and nothing sold for more than its purchase price. No profit; no tax.

Old 01-15-2020, 03:55 PM

43,378 posts, read 77,299,991 times
Quote:
LoL. Seriously? Yeah I can see you doing it as it’s a deduction if you use your house as a office. For me at my house it’s of no use. On my rentals everyone gets paid by check and I need a invoice/receipt at payment if it’s over $100.I have paid cash for some little stuff under $100 no receipt. I usually keep about $500 on me just in case. Drives my wife crazy when I don’t give her receipts.

NO. Not serious at all.
And, in restaurants and after a haircut, I tip with cash. Seriously.

Old 01-17-2020, 06:12 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,639,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
What happens when the OP sends a 1099 to the IRS? Odds are the IRS would never have asked to see OP's cash receipts. Now it is guaranteed to look for undeclared income - and not just from OP.

Those $100 "small jobs" can add up. Undeclared income is undeclared income. I have declared as little as $5 income amounts. When our kids were young we had a live in Nanny for them. We paid payroll taxes for her (even paid her share of them to give her a little more spending money) and workman's comp and unemployment taxes. A receipt is given for every penny of cash received in DH's business and every penny is declared.

The only money from a garage sale that would be taxable is any amount over what you paid for an item you sold. I have had only two garage sales and nothing sold for more than its purchase price. No profit; no tax.
Get real. If it’s under $600 I don't need to do a 1099.

You should pay those taxes because you hired her as a employee not as a contractor. You literally had a employee. That’s the exact opposite of a contractor.

Well you’re a better person than I am if you declared $5 in income. Which btw I absolutely do not believe. Please get off your high horse.

Old 01-17-2020, 06:32 PM

37,183 posts, read 41,391,387 times
Quote:
Get real. If it’s under $600 I don't need to do a 1099.

You should pay those taxes because you hired her as a employee not as a contractor. You literally had a employee. That’s the exact opposite of a contractor.

Well you’re a better person than I am if you declared $5 in income. Which btw I absolutely do not believe. Please get off your high horse.
Yep, she was an employee and we paid all the required taxes.

Yep, I have declared amounts as low as $5, so I have no respect at all for contractors who do not declare what they get for small jobs.

It was the OP that I suggested filing a 1099.

https://www.efile.com/what-is-form-1...-requirements/

"Since the IRS considers any 1099 payment as taxable income, you are required to report your 1099 payment on your tax return. For example, if you earned less than $600 as an independent contractor, the payer does not have to send you a 1099-MISC, but you still have to report the amount as self-employment income."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate