Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2020, 04:50 PM

6,478 posts, read 10,347,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Too many words.
Way too many words for a listing description.
Let your photos do more of your talking for you.
Agreed. Most of the specific details could be provided upon request. The physical construction details/materials come to mind. The current draft is just too cluttered to be useful for someone browsing for properties to read all at once.

Overall, not a bad first draft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2020, 05:12 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
Just because I asked advice on the verbiage for the listing? You don't know the house (recently remodeled by an award winning contractor - me), the area (exclusive and in demand) or the inventory (almost zero)....

Not trying to argue, just don't get your logic....
when I need a contractor, I call a contractor. At least weekly. And I don't expect any contractor to return my call if all I'm good for is free estimates.

Verbiage
Price
What to pay a Buyer's Agent
How to navigate the inspection/closing process when I haven't sold a home in 5+ years.

see, there's a % of folks who have all of the above squared away, and don't need a real estate agent. You don't seem like that person, based upon the ?'s you're asking.

As to above - I assume that you obtained permits for all the work that you did? And this isn't a ? of workmanship, it's one of following the process.

Old 01-26-2020, 05:14 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
btw, as best we can tell - I wouldn't be trying to get your listing. I'm just trying to give you my best professional advice, as I believe you would if someone called you to their house with a need.

Old 01-26-2020, 06:26 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,567,655 times
Quote:
Too many words.
Nice to see you agree with my comment above.

Old 01-26-2020, 06:37 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,798,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
when I need a contractor, I call a contractor. At least weekly. And I don't expect any contractor to return my call if all I'm good for is free estimates.

Verbiage
Price
What to pay a Buyer's Agent
How to navigate the inspection/closing process when I haven't sold a home in 5+ years.

see, there's a % of folks who have all of the above squared away, and don't need a real estate agent. You don't seem like that person, based upon the ?'s you're asking.

As to above - I assume that you obtained permits for all the work that you did? And this isn't a ? of workmanship, it's one of following the process.
I understand where you're coming from.....

Yes, everything is permitted, up to code, etc.......

Old 01-26-2020, 06:44 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,798,312 times
Quote:
Too many words.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Agreed. Most of the specific details could be provided upon request. The physical construction details/materials come to mind. The current draft is just too cluttered to be useful for someone browsing for properties to read all at once.

Overall, not a bad first draft.
Thank you guys....I know it was way too rambling, it was just my way of trying to get all of the 'features' down on paper in some sort of order.

We have been looking houses for over a year now, (actually just closing escrow on one next week), and I have noticed when reading the MLS listings, that most of the ones even written by 'real' realtors don't seem all that catchy, very poorly written sometimes. And the pictures....? Good Lord.....
So I didn't know if the more experienced Realtors (on this forum) had some clues....

Old 01-26-2020, 07:35 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,523,008 times
Make a sheet or 2 of upgrades/features that can be an attachment in mls, and add the phrase "see attached docs for upgrades/features list.
Put in features type fencing. (Pipe rail, wood 4 panel, barbed wire, polyguard, etc)
Also put type footing in arena. (Washed sand with clay base, limestone screenings, rubber).
The above is important to horse people.
Also zoning requirements if you know...ie 2 horses per acre, etc.
Are there wash stalls with hot/cold water, cross ties, etc? Auto waterers? Any farm equip that conveys? Trails to ride on nearby? Is it an equestrian community?
The above items shouldnt be in listing, but on a page for attachments.
May want to adverise in your local or state agriculture/ranch/equestrian publications.

Old 01-27-2020, 12:00 AM

351 posts, read 271,510 times
Hire a professional real estate photographer. Great photos really goes a long way. Sounds like you have a beautiful country property.

Old 01-27-2020, 03:54 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,838,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
Why thank you ! Here's what I have, just wrote down all the features I see as desirable. I appreciate any advice, thanks in advance.

RARE OPPORTUNITY! 2 HOMES on 1 ACRE lot in beautiful ________________ Come live in the highly desired area of ___________, where you can enjoy the ranch style living. Bring your horses and enjoy!
Main House and Guest House on 1+ acres. Large decks and covered patios to relax on and enjoy the views. 2 attached and detached Carports will fit 3-4 cars. Complete perimeter fencing. Horse corrals & ring + large goat/chicken facilities, perfect for a 4H family!
Main house is 1840 +/- SF with 4 Bedrooms/3 Baths. 2 Dual/Split Master bedrooms, 2 additional bedrooms, 3 full baths. Great room concept with vaulted ceilings (above kitchen and dining room) with clerestory windows.
Newer Electrical /Plumbing/HVAC in much of house.
Engineered Wood hand-scraped Maple Floors and custom shaker style Maple Kitchen Cabinets. Custom top-grade granite counters.
Plus - a permitted detached ~500 SF Guest House - 1 Bed/1 Bath featuring a full kitchen, fireplace and walk-in closet. Same Maple flooring, Dining bar, Custom Granite countertops. Attached 250 SF workshop/storage shed with washer/dryer hookups
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Features:
• Recent complete remodel .
• 2340 +/- sq ft of total living space.
• Corner lot with flat usable land.
• Incredible views to South and West.
• Large rock formations.
• 400~ ft Corten metal panel privacy fencing.
• New dual-pane windows, doors, carpet, fixtures, baths.
• New Electrical, Plumbing and HVAC throughout the house.
• Kitchen has soft-close custom cabinets, high end Bosch Appliances w/counter depth fridge, beer fridge, breakfast bar, desk area and more.
• Master Ensuite with walk-in closets, large 100+ SF master bath w/separate shower & tub.
• Attic has upgraded R-30 insulation and thermostatically controlled exhaust fan.
• Large covered party Patio w/ fountain, lighting, misters, TV, fan & covered BBQ area
• 4 Raised Planter Beds with irrigation.
• Improved animal facilities with water. (2) 24’ x 36’ corrals with covered areas, 40’ x 80’ turn-out/ring, 8’ x 8’ chicken coop, Goat house with large outside pen. 10’ x 12’ Tack Room/She Shed. 4 x 8’ Hay Shed.
Is it actually any more of a "RARE OPPORTUNITY" than most other properties for sale? If not, don't start out with such fluff.

Is it really two homes? Is the guest house capable of legally being leased out?

Why not put recently remodeled house with guest house right up front instead of burying the cottage down below with all the minutiae? Then list what rooms are on each level.

Put any key points about upgraded materials in one place. Combine all the remodeling details in one short paragraph rather than a bit here and a bit there.

View and geography in another one - nothing nearby worthwhile? No schools, shopping, recreation, Taco Bell across the street?

Facilities like outbuildings in their own section - you're all over the place. How many times and places do you mention fencing?

How many horses can legally be kept on such a small property? Is their only shelter a partially roofed corral? And how big is the lot? 1.0002 acres or 1.9? They will find out.

Is the area really as highly rated as you say? Why? How are the schools?

Don't start sentences with numerals; in most cases write out numbers under ten.

While eschewing the pros I hope you do a much better job with the pictures than with the prose

Old 01-27-2020, 05:17 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,219,988 times
My MLS won't allow bullet points. Wouldn't be a problem as the preceding description would hit the character limit somewhere around goats and chickens. I would think this listing could be summed up pretty well with about a quarter of the words. Instead of RARE OPPORTUNITY try leading with BLUE LIGHT SPECIAL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate