Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2020, 06:03 AM

6,500 posts, read 10,406,677 times

Advertisements

I would suggest a different tag line instead, how about "Hidden Gem"?

In my mind, the term "Blue Light Special" reminds me of the now defunct K-Mart. When I think of K-Mart, "cheap garbage" comes to mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2020, 06:33 AM

43,389 posts, read 77,320,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post

In my mind, the term "Blue Light Special" reminds me of the now defunct K-Mart. When I think of K-Mart, "cheap garbage" comes to mind.

I accepted "Blue Light Special" as humor. And, I laughed.

Old 01-27-2020, 06:42 AM

9,366 posts, read 14,175,776 times
Just state the facts. Don’t try to build a word picture telling folks how they will love it or what they will experience. Instead point out what features the place has that makes it desirable. And don’t put things like”new kitchen faucet” since that makes it look like you are behind on maintenance. Use the photos to show how lovely it all is but if something is confusing maybe add that to the description.

Old 01-27-2020, 07:25 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,980,359 times
Who is the target buyer? Retired couple? Single person starting out? Family of four?

Craft your description to who would most likely buy your house. Highlight what would be important to them.

Old 01-27-2020, 07:50 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,260,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post

I've seen it used in listings. It was intended as humor and only there to draw potential buyers' attention. RARE OPPORTUNITY makes me think overpriced and BLUE LIGHT SPECIAL makes me think deal. MOTIVATED SELLER also conveys possible deal. Wording matters and too many words in a listing narrative is almost always a mistake, in my opinion.

Old 01-27-2020, 08:20 AM

6,355 posts, read 4,947,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
Just because I asked advice on the verbiage for the listing? You don't know the house (recently remodeled by an award winning contractor - me), the area (exclusive and in demand) or the inventory (almost zero)....

Your realtor WANTS to sell your house and get that commission. He/she will emphasize the positives and minimize the negatives.

You can see that by reading the hype and exaggerated photos in other ads.

You can, of course, meet with the realtor and go over the ad and agree what to put in it.

Old 01-27-2020, 08:32 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,585,884 times
Speak to the younger generation and do your normal write up and the include a TLDR at the top or bottom.

Old 01-27-2020, 08:43 AM

4,021 posts, read 1,810,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
Make a sheet or 2 of upgrades/features that can be an attachment in mls, and add the phrase "see attached docs for upgrades/features list.
Put in features type fencing. (Pipe rail, wood 4 panel, barbed wire, polyguard, etc)
Also put type footing in arena. (Washed sand with clay base, limestone screenings, rubber).
The above is important to horse people.
Also zoning requirements if you know...ie 2 horses per acre, etc.
Are there wash stalls with hot/cold water, cross ties, etc? Auto waterers? Any farm equip that conveys? Trails to ride on nearby? Is it an equestrian community?
The above items shouldnt be in listing, but on a page for attachments.
May want to adverise in your local or state agriculture/ranch/equestrian publications.
Really good suggestions, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by possibleyou View Post
Hire a professional real estate photographer. Great photos really goes a long way. Sounds like you have a beautiful country property.
Definitely will...I notice a lot of listings have poor pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Is it actually any more of a "RARE OPPORTUNITY" than most other properties for sale? If not, don't start out with such fluff. Yes

Is it really two homes? Is the guest house capable of legally being leased out? Yes

Why not put recently remodeled house with guest house right up front instead of burying the cottage down below with all the minutiae? Then list what rooms are on each level.

Put any key points about upgraded materials in one place. Combine all the remodeling details in one short paragraph rather than a bit here and a bit there.

View and geography in another one - nothing nearby worthwhile? No schools, shopping, recreation, Taco Bell across the street?

Facilities like outbuildings in their own section - you're all over the place. How many times and places do you mention fencing?

How many horses can legally be kept on such a small property? Is their only shelter a partially roofed corral? And how big is the lot? 1.0002 acres or 1.9? They will find out.

Is the area really as highly rated as you say? Why? How are the schools? Yes, very good

Don't start sentences with numerals; in most cases write out numbers under ten.

While eschewing the pros I hope you do a much better job with the pictures than with the prose
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Who is the target buyer? Retired couple? Single person starting out? Family of four?
Family of 4-5 with MIL
Craft your description to who would most likely buy your house. Highlight what would be important to them.

Old 01-27-2020, 10:10 AM

1,107 posts, read 555,560 times
Honestly, this is overwhelming. I would totally do without the "Features" list. And as others have said before me, I'd add lots of professional real estate photos. A picture really is worth a thousand words.

Old 01-27-2020, 11:52 AM

10,991 posts, read 22,028,709 times
You just hired yourself as an agent and you're learning on the job. Go read a bunch of descriptions on whatever your preferred site is, zillow, realtor.com, whatever, and see what you like and emulate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate