Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2020, 09:24 AM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
I think anyone wants to make as much money as possible. What am I not seeing?
Ethics.
Integrity.
Legalities.

It is a service industry. One that can pay well, but never trust someone who is afraid of leaving some of your money "on the table" as a fiduciary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2020, 11:52 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,383,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Wellll... No.
It is not obvious. But, it is a human failing for many people.
And, dual agency certainly embraces presentation of that temptation.
Quote:
Ethics.
Integrity.
Legalities.

It is a service industry. One that can pay well, but never trust someone who is afraid of leaving some of your money "on the table" as a fiduciary.
I am not doing duel agency, but I think any realtor is looking to sell a property and thus make money.

Old 05-21-2020, 12:18 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times
Quote:
I am not doing duel agency, but I think any realtor is looking to sell a property and thus make money.
There is an ethical way to make money, and an unethical way. Unfortunately, most real estate agents aren’t well-versed in ethics and as long as a state board or trade association says something is ok, they don’t look beyond it. Even though the regulations were written by the industry to benefit the industry. But nobody cares about that, as long as double-dipping can be made legal with linguistic treachery, go for it baby!

Old 05-21-2020, 12:19 PM

Quote:
There is a mammoth character gap between "looking to sell a property and thus make money" and stealing your Mom's Social Security Check and her Bingo money so you "...can make all the money you possibly can."

Old 05-21-2020, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
There is an ethical way to make money, and an unethical way. Unfortunately, most real estate agents aren’t well-versed in ethics and as long as a state board or trade association says something is ok, they don’t look beyond it. Even though the regulations were written by the industry to benefit the industry. But nobody cares about that, as long as double-dipping can be made legal with linguistic treachery, go for it baby!
Quote:
There is a mammoth character gap between "looking to sell a property and thus make money" and stealing your Mom's Social Security Check and her Bingo money so you "...can make all the money you possibly can."

It is my belief from my experience with realtors and realtors who I know, that most of them will do anything to make money. I am sorry if that statement offends honest people, but I consider realty to be a predatory industry.

Old 05-21-2020, 12:22 PM

Quote:
It is my belief from my experience with realtors and realtors who I know, that most of them will do anything to make money. I am sorry if that statement offends honest people, but I consider realty to be a predatory industry.

Meh.
"Industry?" Brokerage is a fine pursuit. What one does in any pursuit defines them as a person.
I know far too many really fine people in real estate to consider all of us as predators.

Old 05-21-2020, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Meh.
"Industry?" Brokerage is a fine pursuit. What one does in any pursuit defines them as a person.
I know far too many really fine people in real estate to consider all of us as predators.
Of course, there are many great people in real estate, but the industry as a whole is a predatory one for sure It, like our taxation industry, should not really exist. And, my partner is a CPA lol.

Old 05-21-2020, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Interesting, because very few of them make any real money.

Old 05-21-2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Interesting, because very few of them make any real money.
Really? Closing on our properties ad $500k and $275k at 3%, they aren't going to make any real money?

Old 05-21-2020, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Really? Closing on our properties ad $500k and $275k at 3%, they aren't going to make any real money?
Well you are talking about the industry. 10% of the agents make almost all the money. The typical agent closes a few deals a year and makes about 40 grand. It’s only a lucrative field for those very few talented agents at the top of the heap.

Plus you cite the single closing of a $500K house at 3%. First of all, in most markets it’s more like 2-2.5%. Second, you failed to cite the many listings that don’t sell and the many buyers that don’t buy. For which you spend gobs of hours and also items like gas for the thousands of miles you might drive. And for which you get paid how much? Nothing!

Not saying it’s a terrible business, it’s actually amazingly fun. But it’s not the gold mine you might imagine for the vast majority of agents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate