Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2020, 08:37 PM

3,576 posts, read 2,198,159 times

Advertisements

I would choose the SFH, its beautiful, you can easily paint the other rooms, remove carpet, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2020, 08:39 PM

75 posts, read 65,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp102 View Post
I would choose the SFH, its beautiful, you can easily paint the other rooms, remove carpet, etc.
I agree, but the SFH backs to a major road and the noise is loud and clear when you open the door to te backyard. Inside you cannot tell that it backs to a major road !

Old 05-21-2020, 09:41 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by md1429 View Post
That is the dilemma!

But this is a small luxury townhouse community of roughly 30 townhomes (and as far I know, mostly retired homeowners). Only 2 attached (so its like a home is divided into 2 in the middle). I have lived in a townhouse for a few months which were 6-7 units attached in a row and there were 100 - 150 units like these. But that is not the case with this subdivision of townhomes; like I said it is only 2 TH's attached and the backyard is facing a golf course with a private pool and mostly travertine decking so minimal backyard maintenance.
Once you get into that level of townhome, a shared wall and noise really isn't an issue.

Old 05-22-2020, 09:10 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Buy the one you like best.

If you are looking for an investment instead of a home - buy stock.

Old 05-22-2020, 10:07 AM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
OP, my HOA fees at my Hawaii high rise are more than what you're paying ($750 a month), but they also cover well more than what you'd be receiving. Specifically, my fees cover daily grounds upkeep, building maintenance (to include roof replacement . . . we replaced our roof a few years ago), 24/7 security team, water, sewage, basic cable, rooftop pool and recreation area, etc.

All of that is to say that $400 a month seems high for what you'd be getting, IMO.

From the HOA picture alone, I would probably go with the SFH IF I had to absolutely choose between the two. But I also expect a reasonable degree of quiet if I'm in a SFH (more so than if in a condo for obvious reasons), so the noise from the major road would be a major problem for me.

Old 05-22-2020, 10:09 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,204,029 times
Can you not find a 4 bdrm single family house without a road in back? Maybe one in an HOA ?

Old 05-22-2020, 11:28 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,938,904 times
Neither. Find something that makes both of you happy.

Old 05-22-2020, 11:34 AM

75 posts, read 65,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaLadyB View Post
Can you not find a 4 bdrm single family house without a road in back? Maybe one in an HOA ?
The problem is that we want an updated home like tge pics I have posted. But most of the homes in our area are outdated. It is a MPC (Master Planned Community) which was built in 1978 - 2005 and majority of the homes are old and outdated.

The ones that are remodeled a little bit go for very high asking price ($1 mil and above) or they have a negative like backing to major roads.

We thoughtof buying an outdated home and remodeling ourselves but even that will make us the most expensive housein the neighborhood.

Old 05-22-2020, 11:39 AM

65 posts, read 42,857 times
Unless you plan on this being your one and only place of residence, which one would appreciate more and sell faster?

Old 05-22-2020, 11:40 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by md1429 View Post
The problem is that we want an updated home like tge pics I have posted. But most of the homes in our area are outdated. It is a MPC (Master Planned Community) which was built in 1978 - 2005 and majority of the homes are old and outdated.

The ones that are remodeled a little bit go for very high asking price ($1 mil and above) or they have a negative like backing to major roads.

We thoughtof buying an outdated home and remodeling ourselves but even that will make us the most expensive housein the neighborhood.
Well, again, I'm going to challenge "outdated".

Does it have hot and cold running water, indoor bathrooms, electrical and telephone service? Air conditioning and heat?

Getting a bit more specific, do the kitchen and bathrooms have adequate counter space and storage (not "ideal", but "adequate"?)

If so, then it's not "outdated", it's just not "according to the latest fads". Whether you buy a house that's already in accordance with current decorating fads, or re-do one to make it so, in another five to ten years it'll be out of fashion again. Your choice: do you want to spend the rest of your life chasing whatever television decorating shows and mass-marketeers decide is "in", or do you want to buy a comfortable home and live in it, repairing and replacing things as they need replacing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate