Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2020, 01:26 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp501 View Post
STOP PLANNING SO MUCH!!!.... "Rent from a relative"... you have no idea how things will change in the next 5 years, heck you don't know what'll happen in the next 5 months.

Major life changes happen all the time.. I knew a doctor who eventually quit and started an online business selling perfume years ago, made WAAAY more $ doing that then the doctor gig... do you think a year before he quit being a doctor he could have ever guessed he'd give up all his medical training to start an online store selling perfume????? Like the old saying goes.. life is what happens when you're making other plans.

Your kid could become a movie star and you move to Hollywood, you could get offered a great job that pays for you to relocate, you could get divorced, you could hit the lotto, you could invent x-ray vision, you could start a blog that takes off and allows you to do anything you want... It's okay to have a "plan" but stop "Planning" so much...
On the contrary...if the baby was a surprise, perhaps family planning is in order! Or, if the child was planned, plan on it going to school eventually!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2020, 07:43 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil_fields View Post
Tough lesson to learn. Next time, take some time, do your research. Don't "buy impulsively" again. You knew you were planning to start a family in this house, but you didn't once thing to check the school ratings?

Most people don't stay in their first home forever. This is your starter home. Make the best of it.
I ask all my buyers that don't have kids yet if the schools matter to them. Some people don't plan on having kids so they don't matter. Some do and it didn't occur to them to think about schools when buying a house. First time home buyers don't know what questions to ask or things to think about. That is why they hire agents.

OP, don't worry. It sounds like you picked a desirable area so it will have good resale. When you are ready to sell in 5-6 years, it sounds like you can do that and move into a home that will give you better schools. I can also tell you that if you are in an up and coming area, the schools generally shift along with that growth so they might have better scores by the time your child is ready for school.

Old 06-04-2020, 11:22 AM

14 posts, read 9,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp501 View Post
STOP PLANNING SO MUCH!!!.... "Rent from a relative"... you have no idea how things will change in the next 5 years, heck you don't know what'll happen in the next 5 months.

Major life changes happen all the time.. I knew a doctor who eventually quit and started an online business selling perfume years ago, made WAAAY more $ doing that then the doctor gig... do you think a year before he quit being a doctor he could have ever guessed he'd give up all his medical training to start an online store selling perfume????? Like the old saying goes.. life is what happens when you're making other plans.

Your kid could become a movie star and you move to Hollywood, you could get offered a great job that pays for you to relocate, you could get divorced, you could hit the lotto, you could invent x-ray vision, you could start a blog that takes off and allows you to do anything you want... It's okay to have a "plan" but stop "Planning" so much...
I try not to plan so much, but I have anxiety and a tendency to worry a lot about the future. My wife tries to tell me that nothing is permanent and we can just deal with it down the line. My anxiety makes it hard to enjoy the house and our life. Thank you though for the advice.

Last edited by NoLimitViking24; 06-04-2020 at 11:58 AM..

Old 06-05-2020, 02:28 PM

2,170 posts, read 1,955,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLimitViking24 View Post
I try not to plan so much, but I have anxiety and a tendency to worry a lot about the future. My wife tries to tell me that nothing is permanent and we can just deal with it down the line. My anxiety makes it hard to enjoy the house and our life. Thank you though for the advice.

I was 100% the same way... Honestly, owning a home helped get rid of my anxiety over time. As nervous as I was the dust settled and I realized it really wasn't nearly as bad as I thought. It felt like it was the only thing I'd think about non-stop throughout the day, just worry worry worry. It eventually went away and I'm a better person because of it.. I even bought another home to turn into a rental and self manage, that was 100 times easier even though it involved waaaay more due diligence and risk, I absolutely believe it's because I purchased my own home first and got through all the worry that I realized things weren't even a fraction as bad as I thought they could be. Come back here next year and tell us about how much things have changed... Everything is going to be okay, seriously, ask yourself what is the worst thing that could happen, then ask yourself if it's really worth all the worry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate