Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2020, 12:11 PM

14 posts, read 9,355 times

Advertisements

Hi there. I ask that you please don't think poorly of us or the decision we made. We purchased a house 6 months ago that we expected to stay in long term. We have now had a major change of heart and are thinking we will probably want to move on within 3-5 years. It's in a great neighborhood in western washington, but home ownership just isnt for us right now.

I know if we try to sell this soon that:
1. We probably wont get as much as we paid for it.
2. We won't recoup the sunk costs.

My concern is that if the housing market crashes in the next few years we could be in an even worse spot.

Are my fears justified? I have bad anxiety because of this.

Thanks

Last edited by NoLimitViking24; 05-27-2020 at 01:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2020, 12:22 PM

7,246 posts, read 7,083,322 times
No way to predict the future of the market. I suggest that you work on making it work for your family.

Old 05-27-2020, 12:28 PM

9,895 posts, read 4,656,637 times
It happens but how you deal with it is the issue not that you made the wrong decision.

I'd work on other investments and try to increase your income some how(I know crappy timing). Also if there is the smallest window over the next year to sell at near cost or possibly a profit go for it even if you have to clear out in 30 days, put some stuff in storage.

2 factors still big in real estate location and timing. It's about the market. Play or monitor that local housing market.

Old 05-27-2020, 12:47 PM

2,170 posts, read 1,956,466 times
Buyer's remorse is very real, I had it after buying my home, I've been here going on 6 years now and honestly love it now. We planned on starting a big family so we bought a big house more than we need so we can grow into it, unfortunately God or somebody had other plans and we can't have kids.. go figure.

Also keep in mind when you sell a house you'll have to pay agent commissions so even if you could sell the house for "break even" you really need to be probably 5-10% above what you bought it for to really "break even".

Give it a little time, you may find the anxiety you feel starts to go away like mine did. True, there could be a housing dip, but it's unlikely to be a crash, and if it happens now because of CV19 it's very likely in 3-5 years when you're ready to move on you'll be able to sell the home for more than you purchased for.

Purchasing a home can be a scary thing... pick a room and really make it yours, one step at a time, that can really help. You're not alone in regretting your home purchase at first.

Old 05-27-2020, 01:01 PM

9,361 posts, read 14,119,343 times
Wait at least a year so it isn’t considered a flip. Make sure to look at tax implications. I think you can deduct some of your selling expenses which helps a little.

Old 05-27-2020, 01:03 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,754,968 times
Try not to stress about it. We did the same thing, are selling now. It happens. Your costs won’t be sunk, it’s money you would be paying for rent.

Old 05-27-2020, 01:19 PM

14 posts, read 9,355 times
The main issue is that we are now expecting a baby and the elementary school we are zoned for is a 2/10. That's why we've kind of put a 5 year time frame on it. I hate the feeling that we own a house that we want to move out of within a certain time frame. Makes it hard to enjoy it.

On the other hand am I a bad father if I don't do everything in my power to send my child to a better school?

Old 05-27-2020, 01:56 PM

23,319 posts, read 18,877,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLimitViking24 View Post
The main issue is that we are now expecting a baby and the elementary school we are zoned for is a 2/10. That's why we've kind of put a 5 year time frame on it. I hate the feeling that we own a house that we want to move out of within a certain time frame. Makes it hard to enjoy it.

On the other hand am I a bad father if I don't do everything in my power to send my child to a better school?
Look into ways to enhance your upcoming child's education that don't depend on the school itself. You have time. Find out about local resources/programs for parents, tutoring, extracurriculars, homeschool options, etc.

Old 05-27-2020, 02:16 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,170,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLimitViking24 View Post

This is normal. A 5-year time frame is a long time. I am assuming you don't hate the place and want to move out next month, but rather just don't want to stay long term. I wouldn't worry too much, it is hard to predict the market. Just start planning in a few years time when you're actually ready to move.

Old 05-27-2020, 02:34 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,262,482 times
You have to wait for baby to get here and grow about another 1/2 decade before you have to worry about that. Enjoy your house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate