Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2020, 07:00 AM

2,170 posts, read 1,956,466 times

Advertisements

Most "experts" expect a housing slowdown this fall. If you can wait till November you'll likely see much more inventory and prices cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2020, 09:11 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,010,811 times
OP, I would suggest trying to invest in a new build, rather than an existing home. My wife and I did this a number of years back when we bought in a super hot market. We visited a half dozen or more houses only to always be out-bid or have the house we were scheduled to look at go under contract. It was very frustrating. We just put money down on a new build and waited for it to be built. Was way less stressful and we got to essentially design the interior (colors, fixtures, etc.).
Before that, I remember leaving work (for an hour or two) multiple days when I would see a new house go on the market, just to go see it before anyone else, in case we wanted to put an offer on it. Was stressful!

Old 06-26-2020, 09:29 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,519,582 times
We found the same bidding wars happening in our area. And with 4,000 incoming FBI employees and 4,000 auto workers coming in for a new Mazda-Toyota factory, housing is being built as fast as they can throw up subdivisions.

Sometimes it's best to jump up another $50K-75K where the entry level buyers are not at. You might get so much more house for your money.

We were fortunate to get a 12 year old large home on 1 acre for $90 a square foot. It had new HVAC units and was completely repainted.

One trend we were seeing was attic space finished off into bedrooms with skylights as windows. And they were counting this as expensive square footage when it should have been priced like basement square footage.

Old 06-26-2020, 09:36 AM

4,418 posts, read 2,948,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp501 View Post
Most "experts" expect a housing slowdown this fall. If you can wait till November you'll likely see much more inventory and prices cool.
I might do that. Last fall homes would at least sit for a week before being sold. Now its 24 hours.

Old 06-26-2020, 09:37 AM

4,418 posts, read 2,948,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
OP, I would suggest trying to invest in a new build, rather than an existing home. My wife and I did this a number of years back when we bought in a super hot market. We visited a half dozen or more houses only to always be out-bid or have the house we were scheduled to look at go under contract. It was very frustrating. We just put money down on a new build and waited for it to be built. Was way less stressful and we got to essentially design the interior (colors, fixtures, etc.).
Before that, I remember leaving work (for an hour or two) multiple days when I would see a new house go on the market, just to go see it before anyone else, in case we wanted to put an offer on it. Was stressful!
I thought about that but where I'm looking there isn't land available closer to the city. All new construction is farther out.

Old 06-26-2020, 10:24 AM

11,831 posts, read 34,448,030 times
Be aggressive. B E aggressive. Or not. Your choice.

Old 06-26-2020, 11:20 AM

21,950 posts, read 9,517,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Problem is if you wait interest rates will likely go up also. I didn't know the Chicago suburbs were having inventory problems also. That housing market has been soft for a while. The thing is rents seem to be falling right now because low income people can't afford it, while housing is going up.
No inventory problems in MY Chicago suburb. I would love to know which one you are in.

Old 06-27-2020, 06:18 AM

1,066 posts, read 767,560 times
We received multiple offers, all over asking on our house the day it was officially listed. It was a large, custom home on acreage, view of the entire Front Range from Pike's Peak to Long's Peak. Given our price point, we were pleasantly surprised at the responses. Even before it was ready for market, realtors were contacting our agent wanting to show it. We allowed one showing the night before all of the appointments next day and those people gave us an amazing offer first thing next morning but had to sell a house in another state first. We looked at all 5 offers at the end of the first day and accepted the one that wasn't the highest but with finances ready to go and no contingencies, except an inspection report.

As others have commented, just know the limit on what you are willing to spend, have your ducks in a row with limited contingencies if possible and hang on for a fast ride.

Old 06-27-2020, 09:13 AM

19,814 posts, read 9,376,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
I second the above IF you have time and a good builder. We did that and ended up spending about $75k less for a custom home we actually wanted than a compromise older home that would have required extensive remodeling. (Actually, if you include the cost of the remodeling and repairs, we probably saved about $125k.)

P.S. I just saw the OP's response that new construction in his area was further out, but if you could find a lot with a very old and/or dilapidated home that could be "scraped", that might be a solution. (Of course, you would want to build in a good, or at least decent neighborhood, however.)

Old 06-27-2020, 10:03 AM

2,170 posts, read 1,956,466 times
My brother has been thinking of buying a place, I keep telling him to hold off a year just keep renting. A house in the area he is considering just went on the market 4-5 hours ago. Just on zillow alone it has over 200 views and 10 saves. I bet it gets an offer inside of 24 hours... If you don't have to buy a home right now I don't know why you'd be giving into the sellers market fighting other buyers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate