Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2020, 04:54 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,856,202 times

Advertisements

my friend is looking for a home in CT .

they are totally frustrated . the supply of nice homes is very low and the homes she had put bids in on were lost in bidding wars where homes are going for premiums .

very few are selling their own homes at this point and looking to go bigger ... so the market is drying up ...if things show they are slowing down it is only because lack of supply .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2020, 03:42 PM

2,170 posts, read 1,955,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unicus View Post
yes sir.

Let the sellers squirm. They deserve it, with their ungodly gains by taking advantage of new home owners and others who just don't understand real estate.

What?! That makes zero sense..

It's not like there's some secret society of home sellers out there taking advantage of new home owners by jacking up prices. Homes are worth what people are willing to buy them for. If a home is listed for sale and there is a bidding war why is that the sellers fault?... It's supply and demand, You need to learn how economics actually work. I'm sure you blame the rich for all your problems too...

Old 07-16-2020, 08:08 PM

496 posts, read 445,958 times
In my area houses are still going under contract in a week. As a first time buyer, I'm not really interested right now. I've been saving up for 8 years, and getting my credit up. Interest rates are low. But the thing is the prices are so high, we are a bit over 2007 pricing now which seems to me to say something is wrong. But lending is still quite strict.

I'm too spoiled since I saw what you could get back in 2010-2014 and what you can get now for that price is a DUMP compared to what you'd have gotten for the same price back then. Not worth messing with, IMO. I didn't save up 8 years to buy an overpriced dump.

Two things though as far as a drop in prices:

1) Many of those jobs that were lost (surely not all but I think many) are not jobs that paid enough to afford a mortgage, and even if so unlikely they'd pay for a mortgage for the kind of house you're probably looking for. So I think there will probably be less forbearance in that price range of a house.

2) This is a virus pandemic. Pandemics historically have lasted 1.5-2 years. We are in a recession, but don't expect world falls apart, banks go under, depression scenarios. Could happen, but not likely. Things will probably slow down for a while, but this pandemic won't be a decade long scenario or anywhere close to it, most likely.

So housing prices may not be affected as much from this virus in particular as much as possibly from a housing bubble that we were already going into, with this maybe being the catalyst. Again, lending is still far stricter than it was during the previous bubble.

Old 07-17-2020, 07:33 AM

779 posts, read 424,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unicus View Post
yes sir.

Let the sellers squirm. They deserve it, with their ungodly gains by taking advantage of new home owners and others who just don't understand real estate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp501 View Post
What?! That makes zero sense..

It's not like there's some secret society of home sellers out there taking advantage of new home owners by jacking up prices. Homes are worth what people are willing to buy them for. If a home is listed for sale and there is a bidding war why is that the sellers fault?... It's supply and demand, You need to learn how economics actually work. I'm sure you blame the rich for all your problems too...

Agreed. Sounds like sour grapes to me. Get back to me after you sell your own home well under market value because it's the right thing to do.

I'm not saying that prices aren't inflated in certain markets. And I do think it's a bit crazy to hear about houses going into 10 offer bidding wars hours after listing. But what is a seller supposed to do? If the market dictated pricing is unfair, how is one supposed to determine a fair price? They should be accepting tens or hundreds of thousands under market out of the goodness of their heart?

The same people crying foul on current market conditions are also the ones saying can't wait for the crash so I can swoop in and buy for pennies on the dollar. So it's wrong for sellers to leverage their position and cash in, but if the market crashes they're totally justified in leveraging their position and cashing in.

I don't judge either side. Sellers should get as much as they can. If a buyer can time the market and scoop up an amazing deal good for them. It's a little self-centered to believe your current position is the fair/noble one, and the other side is the greedy gluttonous enemy.

Last edited by simplechamp; 07-17-2020 at 07:45 AM..

Old 07-17-2020, 08:16 AM

62 posts, read 49,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsgoingon4 View Post
In my area houses are still going under contract in a week. As a first time buyer, I'm not really interested right now. I've been saving up for 8 years, and getting my credit up. Interest rates are low. But the thing is the prices are so high, we are a bit over 2007 pricing now which seems to me to say something is wrong. But lending is still quite strict.

I'm too spoiled since I saw what you could get back in 2010-2014 and what you can get now for that price is a DUMP compared to what you'd have gotten for the same price back then. Not worth messing with, IMO. I didn't save up 8 years to buy an overpriced dump.

Two things though as far as a drop in prices:

1) Many of those jobs that were lost (surely not all but I think many) are not jobs that paid enough to afford a mortgage, and even if so unlikely they'd pay for a mortgage for the kind of house you're probably looking for. So I think there will probably be less forbearance in that price range of a house.

2) This is a virus pandemic. Pandemics historically have lasted 1.5-2 years. We are in a recession, but don't expect world falls apart, banks go under, depression scenarios. Could happen, but not likely. Things will probably slow down for a while, but this pandemic won't be a decade long scenario or anywhere close to it, most likely.

So housing prices may not be affected as much from this virus in particular as much as possibly from a housing bubble that we were already going into, with this maybe being the catalyst. Again, lending is still far stricter than it was during the previous bubble.
i dont understand why people make the statement that house prices are so overpriced now just because they are above the housing bubble in 2007. housing prices will always appreciate over time simply due to inflation. this is like saying "im not going to buy a house today because it was way cheaper in the 1990s, let me wait until it goes back to those prices then i will buy." we may see a small correction, but dont expect pricing levels to retract back to levels 10-15 years ago.

Old 07-17-2020, 08:41 AM

899 posts, read 540,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awaken470 View Post
i dont understand why people make the statement that house prices are so overpriced now just because they are above the housing bubble in 2007. housing prices will always appreciate over time simply due to inflation. this is like saying "im not going to buy a house today because it was way cheaper in the 1990s, let me wait until it goes back to those prices then i will buy." we may see a small correction, but dont expect pricing levels to retract back to levels 10-15 years ago.
There are places in the country where current sales are what they sold for (or even less in a number of cases) 10-15 years ago. Baltimore comes to mind.

https://www.redfin.com/MD/Baltimore/.../home/11008137
Price cut to 499k. Sold for 500k in 2010.

https://www.redfin.com/MD/Baltimore/.../home/11008217
Under contract (Contingent) at 595k. Last sold for 795k in 2006.

Old 07-17-2020, 08:53 AM

4,418 posts, read 2,944,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awaken470 View Post
Adjusted for inflation they are close to 2007 prices.

Old 07-17-2020, 09:17 AM

12,841 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DXBtoFL View Post
There are places in the country where current sales are what they sold for (or even less in a number of cases) 10-15 years ago. Baltimore comes to mind.

https://www.redfin.com/MD/Baltimore/.../home/11008137
Price cut to 499k. Sold for 500k in 2010.

https://www.redfin.com/MD/Baltimore/.../home/11008217
Under contract (Contingent) at 595k. Last sold for 795k in 2006.
That has to be a distressed seller. I wasn't paying attention in 06, but 800k for a 2 br in Baltimore seems like a lot.

Old 07-17-2020, 10:56 AM

899 posts, read 540,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
That has to be a distressed seller. I wasn't paying attention in 06, but 800k for a 2 br in Baltimore seems like a lot.
Nah. Plenty of 800k and above sales in Baltimore. It's not all the Wire. There's plenty of money.

The real estate is just flatlined and cheap. It's never recovered from the 08-10 crash. Suburbs are not immune either.

Philadelphia is somewhat better off but there's still plenty of sales even in nice areas where prices are what they were 15 years ago.

Old 07-17-2020, 11:40 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
People fleeing NYC are flooding North Jersey, Orange and Rockland Co NY. No idea how long it lasts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate