Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2008, 01:38 PM

7 posts, read 27,583 times

Advertisements

We finally sold our home after 6 and half very long months. Now we can't find a home to buy! The home(s) we would and could have bought sold before we sold ours and our choice is to either settle for something we are not crazy about or rent monthly until we can find something. We have 2 young children, 2 cats, and 2 dogs. We will have to kennel the dogs (they are very big) and pray we can find a monthly rental that will let us have 2 cats. This is as stressfull as the past 6 months!
Any advice from families that have been there? We need to find something by this weekend in order to hope to close near the date the buyers will close on our house!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 01:51 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,316,669 times
We had to rent while our home sold due to moving to another area. We had to sign a year contract as it was cheaper than month to month and to break it. After 4 months of renting our home sold and we bought another one pretty quickly. We had to pay to break our lease but was still cheaper than month to month.

I would suggest taking your time and finding the right place. Don't settle...or you may find yourself wanting to sell again in the near future. AND if it isn't the right house for you, it probably isn't the right house for many which will limit your resale someday.
Can your animals stay with a friend or relative while you rent for a few months? I would suggest renting for a 3 month term, or 6 month...should be cheaper than month to month AND by the time you do find your home and settle and move, you may be glad to have the extra time...especially if you want to fix anything up before moving in.
I know how hard it is to rent with a family...we were in a small 2 bed, 2 bath apartment and it was me, my husband, our toddler twins, our large dog, and our mean cat. But, it is worth it to find the right place.
good luck in your search. you are in a good position!

Old 04-29-2008, 02:09 PM

68 posts, read 203,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swvamom View Post
We finally sold our home after 6 and half very long months. Now we can't find a home to buy! The home(s) we would and could have bought sold before we sold ours and our choice is to either settle for something we are not crazy about or rent monthly until we can find something. We have 2 young children, 2 cats, and 2 dogs. We will have to kennel the dogs (they are very big) and pray we can find a monthly rental that will let us have 2 cats. This is as stressfull as the past 6 months!
Any advice from families that have been there? We need to find something by this weekend in order to hope to close near the date the buyers will close on our house!
Check with a realtor for renting a home. Sometimes realtors know people who would be willing to rent short term.

Also, there are places (apartments/town houses) for relocation executives that allow pets. Try doing a google search for that.

Last resort... try checking with local hotels that might rent monthly.

I'm sorry I can't be more specific or of more help. You have my sympathy as I have 4 cats and 2 dogs and we're in the process of moving as well. Please let us know how things work out.

Old 04-29-2008, 03:32 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
I agree. Don't rush. You will most likely regret it.

Out here, many places take pets with a pet deposit. I would also suggest offering to pay a friend to watch your dogs. One of my friends did this for one of my clients that was in a similar situation. It was a lot cheaper and healthier for the dogs. You could also see if a dog sitter would be willing to take the dogs short term.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:13 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,274,687 times
Check with some corporate short term rental places..some are more like hotels, but there are some like town houses..we were in that same situation and we found a townhouse that would rent month to month and allowed 2 dogs...we ended up doing something different, but it was a good solution.

Apartments for Rent and Houses for Rent - CorporateHousing.com

Rent.com: Moving Center

Old 04-30-2008, 01:21 PM

7 posts, read 27,583 times
Thanks for all of your advice. It has helped me to not be in such a panic and to realize we can survive in a rental instead of buying a home right away that we may be unhappy with a year or two down the road.
I am really hoping more homes will come on the market around May 1st and we will find one for us! (No massive amounts of homes for sale in our area in our price range. This is one time I wish there were more to choose from!)

Old 04-30-2008, 02:17 PM

186 posts, read 1,061,942 times
We are in the same boat. The area we are moving to there are only 11 houses that fit our needs. We have looked at all of them and they don't interest us. A new one just came on the market so we are driving the 5 hour drive to go look at it. If it's something we like we need to jump on it fast. Do you have a realtor that will notify you the second something new comes on the market??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate