Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2020, 04:32 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,229,211 times

Advertisements

Long story short - I'm interested in a house where the backyard faces a golf course. It's fenced off with wired fence and a gate; with tall trees somewhat (but not completely) shielding the yard from the golf players. The backyard is about 100 ft deep. 100 ft away on the opposite side of the gate is the tee-off for Hole #3 and Hole #14; and about 50 feet further away is the hole of #2.

The golf course is privately owned and well taken care of. It's a popular venue for weddings. The owner of the house does not pay HOA nor receive any preferential treatment into the country club.

The neighborhood is secluded and quiet, but I cannot get a feel for how busy the country club is now that it is shut down for the pandemic. There is no fairway lights or night golfing. The house has been on the market for a couple months and just lowered asking - making the price point very tempting. I don't know if it's the pandemic or other reasons that the house couldn't sell. Maybe being close to the golf course has something to do with it. Real estate is hot and cold in this area; with the higher priced home (like this one) more challenging to sell.

I don't play golf and I don't care about being close to golf - the house is attracting me with features that have nothing to do with golf - it just so happens to be next to a golf course, that's all. And since I know next to nothing about golf, I have questions for people who do know something:

- Do people still like living next to golf courses, does being so close to a fairway help/hurt resale value?

- Anyone who plays golf want to comment on having a backyard that is a 100 ft away from two holes' tee-off? Will it be noisy? No privacy?

- The house was built by a commercial developer for self occupancy and he chose to use steel framing instead of wood. The house is priced like a wood framed house. Does it makes you like the house more? No difference? Is it a good bargain to buy a steel frame house with wood frame price? Is there anything one should be aware regarding living in steel frame house?

Thanks for reading this long post, do let me know if you have an opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2020, 04:45 AM

43,275 posts, read 77,073,002 times
Well, if I was going to live on a golf course, next to the tee box would have pluses and minuses.

I think it would be better than 220 yards down the fairway, where errant shots might take out a window or skylight.
I like that there is a fence. Lock the gate.

But, depending on the course clientele, you may hear some cussing, etc, from the tee box when that errant shot is struck.

Old 08-21-2020, 05:37 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,982,275 times
When golfers are teeing off at #3 and #14, are they hitting away from the property or parallel to it? Still, it would take a lot of effort to slice or hook the ball for it travel so far to your back windows. And someone to over-shoot hole #2 by 250' would be near impossible.

Depending on the country club, ie. if it's hoity toity or everyman, that would determine how many are on the course at a time. Some clubs set tee-off times close together while others spread them out. If players are 200' away from your back door, then I don't think lack of privacy would be a problem. Golfing etiquette is "quiet please" - golfers and club members, depending on the club, respect that in various degrees. Either way, I don't think noise would be a problem. The only noise might be grounds maintenance.

A benefit to having a golf course behind a property v. vacant land is that you're assured a housing developer isn't going to come in and build a new neighborhood. Now that would cause privacy and noise issues.

I wouldn't buy a house on a postage stamp lot that borders a golf course, but based on your description of distance I would consider that property - it wouldn't be a deterrent and in fact might be considered a plus since the psychological visual of open expanse would make the yard feel even bigger.

I can't give an opinion on steel v. wood construction other than I would have a heck of a time screwing picture holders into a steel stud. But would that hold me back if the house checked off a lot of other wish list boxes? I don't think so.

Old 08-21-2020, 05:49 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,073,130 times
We looked at a house that faced a golf course fairway. Distances were about what you gave in your OP.

I play some recreational golf, so it was "nice" to be on the course. No preferential treatment to play, but apparently neighbors "sneak" on in the evening and play a few holes near to their properties. For other reasons we didn't buy the house, but to us, being in a "public" setting made us a little cautious.

OP, you have pretty much laid it out and now YOU need to decide. It can be noisy on Saturday morning. Errant hollering. Errant shots that are sure to rattle around your house from time to time. Errant golfers looking for their errant shots in your yard. Nosy golfers just "checking things out". You are living n a "public park" if you will; accept that, or don't buy the house.

Nice to have some open, green space. Much of the time it will be quiet and peaceful.

Metal framing versus wood? Not an issue one way or the other. Just understand how to deal with the difference if you go to making changes, however slight.

Old 08-21-2020, 08:42 AM

3,299 posts, read 3,023,195 times
Like the home you are considering, our home is on a privately owned golf course, about the same distance to the green as the one you're looking at.

We are near Hole #2. We don't golf. It's busy from April until the snow falls, and after that it's dead quiet, not a soul to be seen, which I love. They also host weddings and other gatherings, and once in a while we will be able to hear music from the clubhouse area. The latest that has ever gone on was about 11PM.

We get golf balls in our backyard on a regular basis. One hits the house once or twice a year. There is some swearing to be heard at times, and quite a bit of just general rambunctious yelling and laughter, which I don't mind since it's a nice change from the winter silence.

For me, the biggest drawback is extremely loud heavy maintenance equipment starting at 5AM most weekday mornings when I would prefer quiet. The other day I think they were running a large wood chipper that sounded like it was in the room with me. That can be pretty obnoxious, and when we first moved here it was a real issue, but after living here for six years, at this point I can actually just roll over and go back to sleep.

Old 08-21-2020, 08:50 AM

8,573 posts, read 12,400,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
A benefit to having a golf course behind a property v. vacant land is that you're assured a housing developer isn't going to come in and build a new neighborhood. Now that would cause privacy and noise issues.
There's no guarantee that a golf course won't become a large housing development. In fact, golf courses are prized as potential development sites. As property values rise, and golf courses struggle to make a profit, golf course owners are increasingly tempted to cash out and sell to developers. In Michigan, a number of golf courses have been developed into housing subdivisions (and other developments) and that trend is likely to continue.

Old 08-21-2020, 09:16 AM

3,607 posts, read 7,917,540 times
Golf courses fail. At least in the recent past this has been an issue. Apparently they have been overbuilt. A good reason not to live next to one.

Old 08-21-2020, 09:26 AM

581 posts, read 1,303,164 times
Take a video of the backyard, and a golfer will be able to tell you if you can expect errant golf balls to be landing in the yard.

Old 08-21-2020, 10:20 AM

8,144 posts, read 8,341,971 times
I have had 2 houses on golf courses and am under contract for a new home right now, also on a golf course. I love looking out at great expanses of green. My present house (2nd of 2 on golf course) is on the 9th tee box so I do hear some cussing. And occasionally balls do hit the house.

The pluses: no back yard neighbors, a great spot to sneak on to after dawn and take a beautiful walk, a whole groomed, green expanse of land that I don’t have to tend to.

The minuses: fear the golf course will close and sell out to developers, occasionally golfer who pees on the course w/i my eyesight. Sometimes yells and curses that I can hear.

Our course holds lots of events and parties; and since I live right at the teebox, they set up tents on the teebox and music and often beer stations. We find that all very entertaining and enjoy the energy. But some people probably don’t like that.

Old 08-21-2020, 10:22 AM

10,300 posts, read 6,822,244 times
If golf balls can land in your yard, plan on stoopid/drunk golfers entering your yard, looking for their ball. Unbelievable, but true. Signage does help. (Especially if they mention "rattlesnakes...")
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate