Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2020, 06:35 PM

35 posts, read 29,958 times

Advertisements

Hi all. We bought a house, and it’s a very basic looking ranch. The house is on a hill on a corner lot. The “front” of the house is facing trees and bushes on the upward part of the hill and you can’t really even see it (we do like the privacy) The side of the house is facing the cross street, which is a Main Street and people actually think that’s the “front” of the house because It’s visible from the street when people visit. We have pretty nice windows on the side of the house, and were thinking maybe to add a wrap around porch. Would that look weird on the side of the house? It’s just windows now there. Any other ideas to improve curb appeal with a house where the “side” is facing the front of the Main Street. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2020, 09:04 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,899,749 times
What direction(s) does the potential porch side(s) face; what rooms would be dramatically shaded by the porch construction; would you ever use this expensive porch addition; are you “porch people” who have in the past used and enjoyed being on porches facing public, busy streets; what would the circulation patterns be like at this porch; how would this porch roof engage the existing roof?

Just a few things to think about.

I love porches but I am also an architect so I am trained to think about these things and ask clients.

I’m sure I’m not the only one that would suggest a few pictures or sketches for the generous folks of city-data to help and make suggestions.

Old 08-26-2020, 08:11 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
a picture would help.

Old 08-27-2020, 12:40 PM

10,309 posts, read 6,847,363 times
"Wrap around porches" are the wonderful, if done correctly.

The latest "fad" around here is outside living rooms. Chandeliers, TV's high end furniture, all in a covered porch type room.

Bringing the "Outside, in."

Old 08-27-2020, 01:37 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post

I love porches but I am also an architect so I am trained to think about these things and ask clients.

I’m sure I’m not the only one that would suggest a few pictures or sketches for the generous folks of city-data to help and make suggestions.
This makes so much sense.

OP would you actually USE this porch and how? At the time of year you're most likely to use it, what will it offer (too warm, not warm enough, too much shade, windy, no privacy, noisy street, the right exposure for growing plants, just chairs to gather for conversation, or wanting to cook but its location not having handy access to the kitchen, etc.). Structurally, anything to consider like snowload? If you want a porch just for looks; visual curb appeal would it really be worth that if its not actually functional?

Old 08-28-2020, 12:06 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,569,779 times
Pictures or we're just shooting in the dark. You don't have enough posts to upload pics but you can share links to a picture hosting site like Imgur or Google.

A porch addition can be a major expense so as several previous posters have said think about what you want to accomplish with it. If it's just for looks, landscaping is much cheaper and less disruptive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate