Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2020, 04:43 PM

46 posts, read 139,995 times

Advertisements

Due to stupidity of my lender, it seems like my mortgage loan may not go through. I am less than a week from closing and I am told that my loan application may get rejected due to lender insisting on employer letter that I can work remotely. I can not get this letter. So, I am planning to buy the home outright. The lender already got the appraisal done and telling me now that underwriter is not going to process the loan. We also got the inspection done and it was all good.

Can someone please let me know what do i need to do to buy the home with cash. Is there any risk of buying home with cash. Its less than 5 year old home. If I buy home with cash, can I ask the seller to give me additional credit/reduce the cost by what they would have spent with closing of the loan ? Anything else I need to take care of if I dont go the mortgage route ?

Thanks

HomeInIndy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2020, 05:21 PM

85 posts, read 112,529 times
You're not saving the seller any costs from using loan vs cash. You typically save money on your loan costs which is paid on your side.

So if you can use cash to buy for now, and refinance later with a cash out refinance that might be a viable way to go.

Just let the title company know you'll be paying by cash. They probably know by now the loan will not fund, so they would probably ask you soon anyway what you want to do.

See if you can get a refund for the appraisal, since the lender is not funding the loan.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 09-15-2020, 05:57 PM

1,784 posts, read 1,557,677 times
I was in such a situation in 2011/12. A week or 2 before closing we learnt that the condo reserves or something else that I can not remember did not meet the FHA guidelines.

Luckily we had the money so we switched to a cash sale transaction but asked the seller for a discount because we "needed to come up with the money" and they too realized any other buyer would face the same hurdle plus it would mean putting the property back in a stagnant market. At this time it was a buyer's market, there was hardly any viewing of houses and they were stuck on the market for months.

The bank gave us a credit for the appraisal but we never went back to them. In any case since we ended up buying the property the appraisal served its purpose.

Old 09-15-2020, 06:00 PM

85 posts, read 112,529 times
It is a hot seller's market right now vs 2011/2012, but it might not hurt to ask for a little seller discount. The worst they can do is say no.

As a seller right now, I'd tell my buyers to take a hike if they asked for any concessions.

Old 09-15-2020, 07:30 PM

14,527 posts, read 12,155,143 times
There is nothing about your situation that costs the sellers less! The money is exactly the same for them.

The fact that you cannot obtain the financing you contracted for - no matter what the reason - causes stress, it doesn't relieve it. I would not recommend coming at them with this news and asking for a discount like you're doing them a favor.

It would be a very good idea to send them proof that you have the available funds. They may well wonder if you're really going to be able to close.

Old 09-15-2020, 07:40 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,365,087 times
What you need to do:
Assuming you have an agent, tell them immediately. They will, or should, tell the title company it's now a cash sale. The closing paperwork will have a few differences.

Get instructions for wiring the funds to the title company and make arrangements with your bank to do so. It's a good idea to call the bank tomorrow to talk to them about it to confirm it will be an easy process. If funds are coming from some other kind of account it can take longer to get the money.

The seller wouldn't have spent anything closing the cost of the loan unless you negotiated some closing costs. Not knowing the exact situation, I'd be cautious with asking for a discount for two reasons. First, the sellers will probably freak out a bit when they find out at this late date. And yes, they do need to be informed asap of the change. Don't be surprised if they want to see proof of funds. Second, it's a pretty fast moving market in the Indianapolis area. It's unlikely at this point, but you don't know if they've received a back-up offer for more money.

Old 09-15-2020, 07:55 PM

46 posts, read 139,995 times
Thanks everyone for responding. I have not received a formal confirmation from the lender that my loan is declined as of now. So I will wait for that to happen. My realtor is aware of the current situation.

Worst case, if the loan is denied I can walk away as I can continue to stay in my rented apartment. I was hoping that by converting this to a cash transaction I would be able to help the seller. There was seller credit associated with the closing of the loan that is why I believe they should give me some discount to offset some of my cost for arranging the funds at such a short notice.

I will keep you all posted.

Thanks,

HomeInIndy

Old 09-16-2020, 01:36 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,422,665 times
What kind of weird ass employer will not shoot a letter that you need?

At that, when I got my mortgage I was working remotely, they did not ask for anything.

Old 09-16-2020, 06:10 AM

5,980 posts, read 7,397,064 times
Gee, I remember the good old days when lenders weren't looking up your *ss with a searchlight. I got a mortgage from a small midwestern S&L that held it's own paper back in 2008 just before everything crashed, and they ran me ragged documenting deposits and all sorts of crazy stuff that occurred years before. Oy.

RM

Old 09-16-2020, 10:44 AM

14,527 posts, read 12,155,143 times
Well, the crash happened because many were doing loans without documenting *anything*.... somewhere in between, I hope, is a good balance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate