Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 01:37 PM

731 posts, read 936,040 times

Advertisements

Hi All! We have enough money to purchase a house with cash (in the area we are moving to), but we don't want to put all our eggs in one basket, so would prefer to put 50% down.

Question is... Is it better to qualify for a loan to purchase (rates, loan costs, etc) or to purchase the house with cash, then do a cash out refi?

I tried looking on Bank Rate for rates and it looks like it would be the same, but I seem to remember that cash out refi's cost more.

Also, we have stellar credit.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 04:54 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,414,714 times
Unless you feel that you can get a significant discount by making a cash purchase, I'd opt to finance the purchase--primarily because it gives you more certainty as to the rates, loan costs and the amount that you can borrow.

Old 06-05-2017, 05:52 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,922,371 times
With 50% LTV, you shouldn't be paying a cash out premium in your rate (60% is the typical benchmark).

That said, you are better protected with a purchase loan, in that you have a financing contingency and an appraisal contingency. Alternately, with a cash purchase, you could drive a better bargain if you waive both financing and appraisal clauses.

A rule of thumb, it's far easier to get the loan when purchasing, than getting cash out post-closing.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:19 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,414,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
With 50% LTV, you shouldn't be paying a cash out premium in your rate (60% is the typical benchmark).

That said, you are better protected with a purchase loan, in that you have a financing contingency and an appraisal contingency. Alternately, with a cash purchase, you could drive a better bargain if you waive both financing and appraisal clauses.

A rule of thumb, it's far easier to get the loan when purchasing, than getting cash out post-closing.
^^^^ That's really the key consideration.

Old 06-06-2017, 03:54 PM

731 posts, read 936,040 times
Thank you, everyone, for the thoughtful responses. We are putting that much down, because we are trying to get our monthly mortgage payment to a very comfortable level, since are taking a cut in pay to move to the area (lower cost of living). That way if there are any sudden job changes, we won't have any problems making our payments. Also, while house values could go down, the stock market could also experience a correction that would drop the value of the money in there. It just feels safest to have some money to invest and some to help us get a nice house with a small enough mortgage payment.

Old 06-07-2017, 07:31 AM

272 posts, read 216,711 times
Any chance of increasing the number of years on the loan (ie. if you are looking at a 15 year loan have you considered a 30 year loan instead)? Rates are still low and I would be looking to get the longest terms I could as long as the interest rate remained low. Make sure there is no prepayment penalty and then you can pay it off when you choose.

Old 06-13-2017, 08:04 PM

426 posts, read 424,129 times
Make all cash offer and then get a loan when your offer is accepted.

Old 06-13-2017, 08:48 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatedcu View Post
Why didn't I think of that

Old 06-14-2017, 08:27 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,036,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatedcu View Post
In my state you would need to disclose on the contract how you are paying. If you change it after the contract, the contract has to be changed, which gives the chance the sellers won't agree.

OP- As already said, it is way easier to get the loan and pay all transfer taxes at the time of purchase than after the fact.

Old 06-17-2017, 08:54 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,922,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
In my state you would need to disclose on the contract how you are paying. If you change it after the contract, the contract has to be changed, which gives the chance the sellers won't agree.

OP- As already said, it is way easier to get the loan and pay all transfer taxes at the time of purchase than after the fact.
I think most contracts now allow for the borrower to change how to pay for the property, as long as there is no net effect on the seller.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages