Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2020, 05:24 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,274,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Hypothetical. I'm not interested.
I am more interested in the OP's described situation. She is not claiming any personal injury.
Time to Pony Up.
Plus it’s clearly not a finished attic. I don’t walk an attic unless plywood or some other flooring is firmly fastened down on top of the joists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2020, 05:57 AM

8,575 posts, read 12,432,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Plus it’s clearly not a finished attic. I don’t walk an attic unless plywood or some other flooring is firmly fastened down on top of the joists.
Then I would assume that you wouldn't invite others to walk in such an attic either, correct?

Old 09-26-2020, 06:45 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,250,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Then I would assume that you wouldn't invite others to walk in such an attic either, correct?
The homeowner did not invite her husband into the potentially unsafe area. She said "the realtor". That could be the listing agent, the buyers agent, an agent who is simply there for an open house etc. If it was not the owners listing agent with permission to allow people into the unfinished attic, the liability isn't the owners.

Old 09-26-2020, 06:57 AM

43,347 posts, read 77,209,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
The homeowner did not invite her husband into the potentially unsafe area. She said "the realtor". That could be the listing agent, the buyers agent, an agent who is simply there for an open house etc. If it was not the owners listing agent with permission to allow people into the unfinished attic, the liability isn't the owners.
Actually, the OP clarified that it was the listing agent.
Owner and listing agent liabilities are probably linked at that point.

Maybe agent should have a signoff:

"Are you a klutz?
No____ (Proceed)
Yes____ (No Attic For You!)"

Old 09-26-2020, 07:34 AM

6 posts, read 4,478 times
Ok just to clarify since you all think I’m looking to get out of paying. I IMMEDIATELY offered to pay for the damages as soon as I made sure my fiancé wasn’t harmed. Yeah his leg is sore but nothing serious. It was the LISTING agent who claimed she wasn’t sure who would pay. Us or the home owner. Seriously some of you are so rude. This was a full on accident. I wrote a letter to the home owner apologizing and expressing our interest in the home. And to follow up the home owner agreed to fix the hole themself because it wasn’t anything serious and I told him to send me the bill for supplies and I plan on throwing in extra for labor and gratitude. They were very understanding of the situation and realized that yes it was an ACCIDENT. I only posted here because we realized this is a completely out of the ordinary situation in a home buying process.

Old 09-26-2020, 07:48 AM

14,534 posts, read 12,171,963 times
Sounds like you guys are gonna work it out amicably then!

The thing you have to understand about forums is, they exist for people to discuss, argue, debate and overthink issues purely for entertainment. So if you ask an interesting question, you may get more than just the one or answers you were actually looking for. :-)

Old 09-26-2020, 07:52 AM

6,491 posts, read 10,375,377 times
I do realize it was an accident but the original post made it sound like you didn't feel it was your fault and shouldn't be held liable. The listing agent was an idiot to suggest you could go look in the attic in the first place. They should have suggested that a home inspector do the job instead. I do wish you the best. Again it all comes down to poor communication and it was always your goal to make things right based on you latest post. I do hope you are feeling better after your slip and I mean no ill will to you.

Old 09-26-2020, 07:56 AM

6 posts, read 4,478 times
Yes I did go back and reread my original response and realize it came off a bit differently than I intended. If it wasn’t obvious I’m a first time home buyer so very naive to the real estate world. I’ve also never used this website before and was trying to be more curious than defensive about the situation. I appreciate everyone’s opinion.

Old 09-26-2020, 08:53 AM

22,681 posts, read 36,841,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoyers View Post
Ok just to clarify since you all think I’m looking to get out of paying. I IMMEDIATELY offered to pay for the damages as soon as I made sure my fiancé wasn’t harmed. Yeah his leg is sore but nothing serious. It was the LISTING agent who claimed she wasn’t sure who would pay. Us or the home owner. Seriously some of you are so rude. This was a full on accident. I wrote a letter to the home owner apologizing and expressing our interest in the home. And to follow up the home owner agreed to fix the hole themself because it wasn’t anything serious and I told him to send me the bill for supplies and I plan on throwing in extra for labor and gratitude. They were very understanding of the situation and realized that yes it was an ACCIDENT. I only posted here because we realized this is a completely out of the ordinary situation in a home buying process.
Relax, this is how the internet works. You asked a question, you got answers, if you're looking for 100% agreement discussion boards are not for you. And in life, common sense goes a long way, so does the ability to "read" people. Real estate agent is in sales, do you really think they want to tell you the damage is yours to pay? They want to sell you the house. THe real estate agent also isn't an expert in negligence and liability laws. And since it came up with the agent, I'm assuming YOU TWO asked the question "omg, I fell through the attic - do we have to pay for that?" Otherwise how did it come up in the first place? It defies logic to believe that you said "I fell through the attic, how can I get a check to the homeowner"...and the agent responded "oh I don't think you're liable for that".

Two sides to every story....and then there's the truth.

Old 09-26-2020, 08:54 AM

43,347 posts, read 77,209,038 times
Quote:
Quote:
Yes I did go back and reread my original response and realize it came off a bit differently than I intended. If it wasn’t obvious I’m a first time home buyer so very naive to the real estate world. I’ve also never used this website before and was trying to be more curious than defensive about the situation. I appreciate everyone’s opinion.
Welcome to CityData!
It IS a fun place most days. But, some days, jumping to confusions is the only aerobic activity some get.

Thanks for your clarifications. Actually, I thought most of the fuss and tussle was between us regulars, more so than directed at you.
And, Kudos for offering to do the right thing! Hope you get the house, if you still want it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate