Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2020, 09:03 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
There are a few obstacles to putting it on the market right now.

Going into winter would not be optimal, so I am thinking spring.

Is your urgency in listing advice based on what you think will happen to the market between now and then?
That's what we are doing. Waiting until spring. We also need time to empty out the house, and that "emptying" includes two of my siblings who are living there and need to relocate. If the flight out of NYC to the burbs continues as it has been, the market should still be strong in my area. We spoke to our realtor about it.

Old 10-07-2020, 09:27 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Would you buy a new home that offered all the upgrades? New home builders spend 100's of thousands in staging their show homes to appeal to the masses. Then they sell upgrades to personalize the homes for your unique tastes.

I recommend you renovate to appeal to the masses, just like a new home builder would.

When you personalize your home to YOUR tastes, you limit your buyer pool come resale time. Best thing to then do is renovate it back to plain mass appealing...
When we built, we stayed away from a spec home for this exact reason. I didn't want the builder spec kitchen, even though one of the spec homes was the floor plan we wanted.

Yes, IF you're going to remodel, you do it for the masses not yourself. In a hot market, I wouldn't bother.

YMMV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2020, 09:29 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,396,092 times
Quote:

Is your urgency in listing advice based on what you think will happen to the market between now and then?
Of course, no one can say for certain what will happen.

My sister is a RE broker in central VA. It's in her opinion that the current real estate market isn't sustainable through next year. While it won't be like it was in 2008, the market will cool off. Inventory will be up, buyers won't be paying more than list price, and homes likely won't go under contract the day they become active. The market will level out to a more "normal" market.

Anyway, that's her opinion about her local market.

Old 10-07-2020, 09:30 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Quote:

We were worried about the same thing back in '18. At the advice of our realtors, we listed it anyway. Hit the MLS just before Thanksgiving, we had a full price offer in 3 weeks and closed just after the 1st of the year.

You never know.

Old 10-07-2020, 11:33 AM

3,493 posts, read 3,204,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp102 View Post
Many people like me don’t want to have to upgrade and live thru construction. When I buy a home , I want it to be done or little work. I purchased a custom build for that reason. When purchasing rentals I want them as up to,date as possible i dont want to have to spend money fixing it up right away.

I will look on realtor sites and I won’t even go look at a home that needs updating..I just dont want the hassle

I'm in your category. It has to be move-in, do nothing to even get me interested.

Why? Well because I'm now at an age that remodeling must be farmed out (I used to do this stuff all by myself + a full time career). Today, where both of my houses are, there are essentially no available competent handymen, willing contractors, "carpenters" whatever you call them, who are available at any cost, to do a remodel.

Using "Home Advisor" (and Angie's BS) and the local bulletin boards, I encountered everything except someone I'd ever consider hiring to redo a kitchen, a bath or god forbid, move a wall. That stuff is like, so yesterday. A clueless slug, a oxycontin addict, a contractor who wouldn't dream of pulling into your driveway unless it was a $200,000 job. Pfft. Nope. It ain't 2000 anymore.

Old 10-07-2020, 11:40 AM

14,251 posts, read 14,745,966 times
Overall I am against updating to sell, especially an expensive update as you never know what someones tastes/demands are. You could spend a small fortune on the kitchen and some will not like it. Let someone say well the place needs some updating so I am offering so and so. Let them make an offer first.

I am not against inexpensive updates like carpeting, painting, cleaning, etc. but I would limit such to around $2,500.00

Old 10-10-2020, 06:34 AM

714 posts, read 722,314 times
In my view, it depends on who's buying the house. In a market where investors are coming in and doing bash-and-builds (such as what is happening here in Durham, NC where developers are buying up charming bungalows and building "modern" monstrosities that look like stacked cargo containers), there's no point in doing ANY remodeling. But if you are in a market where your buyers are looking to live in a house, and especially if it is a "first-time buyer"-type house, then cosmetic changes can make a difference. Paint the cabinet boxes white (and doors if the style is not dated, otherwise get new doors; they are not hard to hang), put in some granite (which is no longer expensive), and replace the flooring and be done with it. If your appliances are white, leave them, unless you can get a great deal on new. A good realtor will tell you what you should replace.

If you can, get rid of wallpaper borders. They scream mid-1990s.

In my case, I had to do extensive renovations in my old house or it would have been bought at bottom dollar for a tear-down. The kitchen was from the 1970s, the upstairs flooring was old commercial carpeting, and the upstairs bath had olive green fixtures and was in bad shape. We'd never had the ready cash to do this stuff because we'd needed new windows, roof, siding, and basement family room renovation following a flood. Then my husband died and I had money to do it.

In my case it turned my house from a $299K tear-down into a family home that I sold for $425K. So I more than made up for the renovation cost.

Old 10-10-2020, 10:58 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,938,904 times
Talk to a realtor. Interview several.

I had an 80s dated kitchen, old laminate flooring and carpet, some not-neutral paint. I painted the cabinets white, painted the counters, the backsplash, installed luxury vinyl planks, neutralized the paint, and listed in summer of 2019 (seller's market in my area). It didn't sell. I pulled the house from the market in the fall.

I got a new realtor who walked in and mentioned 3 very simple things. I did them. Listed in March (right before shut-downs) had an offer in hours and sold. Total cost was about $2500 to prep the house. It was also spotless and staged. Same list price as before. Interestingly, he insisted I have the roof professionally cleaned and that made a world of difference.

Since I failed to sell the house before, I was certain I'd have to upgrade the kitchen (at very least the counters), maybe the bathrooms, etc. That was absolutely not the case and I would've lost money.

FWIW, I wrote my own listing based on prompts from the realtor (why did I buy? why did I stay? what did I love about the house?). It was an awesome listing if I do say so myself.

Old 10-10-2020, 07:33 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,514,775 times
I hate seeing kitchens where it’s obvious they quickly painted the cabinets and put in the cheapest granite they could find. The sellers expect to get all the money back on the granite but the rest of the kitchen still needs renovating, that granite is going to get trashed along with it. New counters and some paint don’t fix 30 year old kitchens.

Old 10-10-2020, 08:25 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,938,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbjen View Post
. New counters and some paint don’t fix 30 year old kitchens.
But they can get the house sold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate