Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2020, 11:36 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I agree. Looking at the photographs one has no fear of "what lurks beneath." IE, I'd be satisfied looking at the house that I could see what I needed to see to chose to make an offer (or not.)
As long as there was an explicit commitment that all of the current owner's things would be removed prior to closing, I could see making an offer as well. But I would definitely require a walk through just before closing to make sure the place was empty. Not that it's dirty and a mess or anything but I would not want to have to deal with the clear out even so
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2020, 11:46 AM

14,489 posts, read 12,121,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
As long as there was an explicit commitment that all of the current owner's things would be removed prior to closing, I could see making an offer as well. But I would definitely require a walk through just before closing to make sure the place was empty. Not that it's dirty and a mess or anything but I would not want to have to deal with the clear out even so

This is not a house full of junk.

It's a house full of nice solid furniture that has value. There is a story behind the big drafting desk being there, and this family probably knows that story and someone will want it.

I would not be concerned about it not being cleaned out. I would help, at least with the cookie jar.

I am surprised, honestly, that this house raised any eyebrows.

Old 10-09-2020, 12:17 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
Just looking at it from a marketing perspective.

Old 10-09-2020, 12:45 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,809,020 times
Not how I’d decorate my home and WAY too much stuff for my taste, but not really a big deal. It’s not like Grandma is going to leave all those things.

Old 10-09-2020, 12:57 PM

14,489 posts, read 12,121,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Just looking at it from a marketing perspective.
I know .... I honestly think half the problem is HDR photography, which I said above.

But I have also sat around the dining table with nice old ladies, who have spent their life making cookies in that kitchen and making that house the home their kids come home to at Thanksgiving, and I can't imagine telling them they need to move a lot of their beloved things into storage so their house will sell. Other realtors will tell her that. I won't. Consider it a flaw on my part. I just think it would be rude. Because she's loved that house and everything in it. She's probably read and used all the cookbooks on the shelves!

I say that I look at at lot of houses with people. People of all ages and price ranges... and I think most buyers are a lot better at looking past a few pictures on a table, and a living room with some extra furniture in it, than most HGTV shows give them credit for. We do it all the time.

I think it will sell just fine if it's priced right for well kept, if dated, homes in that market.

Old 10-09-2020, 01:15 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
But that's true of any house that someone's living in, certainly no more of a concern with this place.

Old 10-09-2020, 02:49 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
I think the house is lovely. You aren't buying the collections of stuff. That will all be removed by the seller.

It's organized stuff, not hoarding, and everything looks clean.

On the big plus side, all the clutter might turn off other buyers and leave the house to me.

Old 10-09-2020, 02:57 PM

6,484 posts, read 10,353,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Hopefully the seller will take all the doodads with them when they leave.
If not, you could rent a dumpster to take it all away.

Old 10-09-2020, 04:01 PM

45,411 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I think the house is lovely. You aren't buying the collections of stuff. That will all be removed by the seller.

It's organized stuff, not hoarding, and everything looks clean.

On the big plus side, all the clutter might turn off other buyers and leave the house to me.
You know there are people who think that someone with two of something is a hoarder.

There was a guy on here (not in Real Estate) a few years ago who was complaining because his mother had bought each of his daughters two coloring books. He assertion was that two coloring books was clutter and no one needed more than one anyway.

Old 10-09-2020, 04:03 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
But that's true of any house that someone's living in, certainly no more of a concern with this place.
More of a concern in that there is more stuff than average and therefore more of an effort to clear it out.

you hear lots of stories of sellers still packing their stuff the day of closing and leaving things behind because they ran out of time and energy. I'm not suggesting I know that would happen here, just the idea that more stuff in means that more stuff has to get moved out and I would just want to be sure it was gone before I went ahead with closing - yes, same as with any house, but more effort involved to clear this one out on the seller's part. That's all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate