Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2020, 08:54 PM

18 posts, read 15,647 times

Advertisements

We have our house listed for sale we have a lot of custom woodwork the landscaping is beautiful. The comments we are getting are so thoughtfully decorated And so well maintained. We are also getting comments that it is too much house for what they want. A realtor relative says it is a mismatch small kitchen and small living space but huge entertainment area in the basement. She said most people who want a smaller house and don’t mind a smaller kitchen don’t intend to do much entertaining on a large scale. People who entertain a lot want a large kitchen. There is a very large room in the basement that is fitted with kitchen type cabinets it has a bathroom with shower also a double sink it could easily be converted into a large kitchen. We have had some multi-generational families looking at it. This may be our best bet if we can get someone willing to convert the huge recreational area into additional and separate living space. My question is how do we push that idea? Or do we just sit tight and wait and hope we get someone looking who find it perfect for them as it is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2020, 08:59 PM

10,339 posts, read 6,891,570 times
Welcome to the site.

Old 10-19-2020, 09:05 PM

18 posts, read 15,647 times
Thank you

Old 10-19-2020, 09:11 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,425,664 times
Lower your price.

Old 10-20-2020, 06:25 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,997,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyke46 View Post
We have our house listed for sale we have a lot of custom woodwork the landscaping is beautiful. The comments we are getting are so thoughtfully decorated And so well maintained. We are also getting comments that it is too much house for what they want. A realtor relative says it is a mismatch small kitchen and small living space but huge entertainment area in the basement. She said most people who want a smaller house and don’t mind a smaller kitchen don’t intend to do much entertaining on a large scale. People who entertain a lot want a large kitchen. There is a very large room in the basement that is fitted with kitchen type cabinets it has a bathroom with shower also a double sink it could easily be converted into a large kitchen. We have had some multi-generational families looking at it. This may be our best bet if we can get someone willing to convert the huge recreational area into additional and separate living space. My question is how do we push that idea? Or do we just sit tight and wait and hope we get someone looking who find it perfect for them as it is?
If it's not selling, it's not the shiniest penny in the jar.

This comes down to one of three things typically. 1) Price 2) Condition 3) Location

1) Price: This is the usual culprit, most people stretch to get the most they can for a home. If you're getting showings, getting feedback like "we love the home" but they aren't offering, it's price...

2) Condition: If you have items in your home that would turn off a buyer, fix them. Outdated fixtures, jaundiced looking rooms due to old yellow bulbs, bad paint colors, etc.

3) Location: Are you next to a junkyard, loud street, etc? You may have to consider a lesser value if you have an issue with your location.

Old 10-20-2020, 06:59 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,244,339 times
what city.
how long on the market
how many showings
what competing homes have sold./gone under contract since you went on the market

Old 10-20-2020, 07:07 AM

899 posts, read 542,672 times
Location, location, location.

As someone househunting at the moment, I have seen houses that were lovingly overimproved. The owners clearly put money and care into the house. But at the end of the day it's not going to translate into a higher price than the comps. A lot of your finishes may not be what younger buyers want. There are always generational changes in preferences. You may have installed beautiful walnut panelling but a buyer may be thinking that it's "grandma's house" and is calculating the costs of ripping it out or painting over it.

I've seen houses that had beautiful kitchens added. Sure, they were nice. But I don't care about Viking stoves (and I love cooking). When I see Viking stoves I think: expensive repairs. A nice kitchen is a nice feature but it won't sell the house to me over a bunch of other factors, as long as there's a perfectly pleasant and functional kitchen already in place.

Then we have factors outside your house. LOCATION: are the schools good? Yes or no? 70% of buyers have children. That's a stat my agent told me (and she's very experienced). A beautiful house in a crappy school district versus a humdrum house in a top notch school district? Which will sell first and for more money? The humdrum house.

But every market is different. There are certain submarkets that sell well despite mediocre schools because the typical buyer for that neighborhood doesn't have children, for example.

What does your agent say? He/she knows your market.

Old 10-20-2020, 08:48 AM

21,985 posts, read 13,038,107 times
I know someone who put his house on the market and actually left the state to begin a new life; he is shocked -- shocked, I tell you -- that it isn't selling. Well, it's ridiculously overpriced for the location, for one thing. But he did a lot of renovations! Well, he shouldn't have for that location... So now, in desperation, he's lowering it by $1k every day so he doesn't have to come back and live in it. I have twice practically given a house away because no one offered what I was asking. Sometimes it is what it is! If you want to move on, you take whatever.

Old 10-20-2020, 09:03 AM

6,567 posts, read 8,415,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyke46 View Post
Not knowing your market, it's hard for any of us to give advice. However, this seems the opposite of true. The huge entertainment area in the basement allows space for those who do enjoy entertaining. For those that don't (I'm one who doesn't), it's a bonus living space. If I like everything else, I wouldn't pass on a house because it has bonus space. Kitchen-like cabinets in the basement makes me think "Oh! Storage!" It seems I never have enough storage room.

Could the custom woodwork make the home appear dated? "Thoughtfully decorated" is a throwaway comment because folks aren't buying the decor. Is your decor personal and elaborate? Is your home decorated to your tastes or to sell?

Would you be willing to post the link to your listing? Just be aware that could lead to revealing your identity and some posters will be highly critical of your home - some criticism and advise may come across as unkind.

Old 10-20-2020, 09:13 AM

6,833 posts, read 11,573,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
.........some posters will be highly critical of your home - some criticism and advise may come across as unkind.
Oh, c’mon, we’re NICE here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate