Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2020, 01:29 PM

3,351 posts, read 2,320,196 times

Advertisements

I am curious why parking is so artificially made bad in residential properties whether its single family, townhome, apartment, condos, etc whether its 100 years old 50 years old or built in the 21st century in neighborhoods where most every inhabitant of driving age would likely need their own cars due to lack of other options. Not helping are streets with increasingly restricted parking near these residences. Its all a matter of use of available space. There are plenty of space just poor use of such.

Offices and businesses tend to be able to handle much more parking per 1000sq ft suite/apt unit compared to residential properties
Much of residential property I see are land that is wasted with bunch of useless space that cannot be parked on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2020, 02:12 PM

10,339 posts, read 6,891,570 times
I've never bought a place that doesn't have at least, a 2 car garage. I wouldn't even entertain the thought of a property without a garage.

On the other side, I looked at a house with an 11 car garage (16 cars with skates.)

You know, if you need that kind of room, it's best to build another building. Next to the heli-pad.

Old 11-16-2020, 07:01 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,461,342 times
Its very simple. People are embracing living in cities. Many only have one car or use ride sharing services. Walkable lifestyles are very desirable and for many that means ditching the huge suv and multiple vehicles. As teleworking becomes more normal people want additional interior spaces (offices and dedicated school space for kids distance learning) so they are willing to sacrifice parking. Plus fewer cars lower carbon footprint.

Baby boomers tend to be very distressed by this trend. But the future is here.

Old 11-16-2020, 07:20 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,445,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Its very simple. People are embracing living in cities. Many only have one car or use ride sharing services. Walkable lifestyles are very desirable and for many that means ditching the huge suv and multiple vehicles. As teleworking becomes more normal people want additional interior spaces (offices and dedicated school space for kids distance learning) so they are willing to sacrifice parking. Plus fewer cars lower carbon footprint.

Baby boomers tend to be very distressed by this trend. But the future is here.
Some call it embracing. I call it defeatist. It's remarkably telling of a person's values when they DON'T value a plot of land, personal space, and completely discard car culture. It's part of the American identity.

Old 11-17-2020, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Some call it embracing. I call it defeatist. It's remarkably telling of a person's values when they DON'T value a plot of land, personal space, and completely discard car culture. It's part of the American identity.
Huh?

Expanding your home isn't valuing it? Using land for green space isn't valuing it? Reducing emissions and encouraging people to exercise instead of drinking a 64 oz soda from their gas guzzling SUV is bad? Perhaps if people were more "defeatist" of obesity, sedentary lifestyles and pollution we wouldn't all he experiencing a pandemic, global warming or any of the myriad of ills that plague our "car culture. "

Theres still plenty of space to have a crap load of cars and sit in your lazy boy instead of getting some fresh air. But those are called the suburbs. If you are in an urban area, losing the car is a pretty valid way to go about your day especially as many people are working from home. Don't like that? Find a suburb that suits you. But like the fossil fuels they depend on, this sort of dinosaur lifestyle will soon be extinct. Its just going to take time. Get used to it.

Old 11-17-2020, 04:22 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,425,664 times
I would never have a place that I could not park a car on the property. And yes, even felt that way when I did not own a car, I still rented one every now and then, and had visitors.

Old 11-17-2020, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
I would never have a place that I could not park a car on the property. And yes, even felt that way when I did not own a car, I still rented one every now and then, and had visitors.
To each their own. We have lived in major urban centers where we parked on street. Not a big deal if you are used to it. We have lived in very rural locations with lots of parking. We have owned houses in established neighborhoods that were built before everyone had automobiles where many homes had a single car garage or none or even a carport that wasn't much more than a roof and 4 poles. We lived internationally where most people don't drive if they are urban dwellers.

Not everyone sees the value of being able to reach out and touch your automobile from your kitchen. But as I say there are plenty of 'burbs where you can house the car as if its a sentient being in climate controlled comfort. Just Don let the movement towards more sustainable and walkable lifestyles take you by surprise. This has been going on for awhile and as baby boomers ease into assisted living their kids won't necessarily have the nostalgic view of 1950s drive ins or drag races or any other car centric mania.

Old 11-17-2020, 06:16 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,289,369 times
Quote:
To each their own. We have lived in major urban centers where we parked on street. Not a big deal if you are used to it. We have lived in very rural locations with lots of parking. We have owned houses in established neighborhoods that were built before everyone had automobiles where many homes had a single car garage or none or even a carport that wasn't much more than a roof and 4 poles. We lived internationally where most people don't drive if they are urban dwellers.

Not everyone sees the value of being able to reach out and touch your automobile from your kitchen. But as I say there are plenty of 'burbs where you can house the car as if its a sentient being in climate controlled comfort. Just Don let the movement towards more sustainable and walkable lifestyles take you by surprise. This has been going on for awhile and as baby boomers ease into assisted living their kids won't necessarily have the nostalgic view of 1950s drive ins or drag races or any other car centric mania.
I live in an area where most garages don’t really have the ability to hold a car due to the age. They’re not big enough, they are built in such a way that no matter if you can get your car and you can’t get the doors open. And a number of people have turned the garage that they have into either an apartment or additional living space. It’s just what’s done here.

But I don’t live in the best of neighborhoods. And one of the odd facts and I’ve lived here for 32 years, is that cars that are parked on the street often get vandalized and broken into. Cars that are parked in driveways don’t. Don’t know why just doesn’t happen.

It’s not that I want to be able to touch my car from the kitchen. I want to protect my car from the elements. I’ve lived where I had to spend five minutes scraping all the stuff off of my car before I could move. It was kind of annoying. Where I live now I have leaves — tons and tons of leaves and sticks to get into my car. Occasionally I have to lift the hood and clear out the debris blocking various vents.

And while I get the whole idea behind the “walkable neighborhood“ we are a very very… Very long way away from that. It’s one of the reasons I want to leave California. They are doing their level best to get people out of their cars and onto transit and frankly their transit isn’t good enough. My massage therapist is 20 minutes away in Alameda via car it’s an hour and a half on BART and bus. My favorite bus story. It took me 15 minutes to drive to work, my car went into the shop I took the bus it was an hour and 10. And I’m sorry, that is not acceptable. Call me entitled. I like my car.

Old 11-17-2020, 10:44 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,425,664 times
Quote:

I lived in the middle of London, UK, arguably one of the most walkable places in the world, and had a parking spot, lol. Same in DC, had a parking spot, same in Seattle as well. It is not like it is impossible to have in a walkable area, nor an impediment to it.

And you are wrong, car ownership has exploded over the decades, all those communist block mass transit systems, masses of bicycles in China, etc, all were dumped when people got the funds to get a car. In the last ten years, China added almost 200 million cars to the roads there, that is far, far opposite of what you are claiming.

In Russia where I am from, growing up you would hardly see any cars, and the only way to get around for 99% of everyone was via mass transit, all of that went bye bye and now I go back and the place in jammed packed with cars.

Old 11-18-2020, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350;59706772

[B
[In Russia where I am from[b][/, growing up you would hardly see any cars, and the only way to get around for 99% of everyone was via mass transit, all of that went bye bye and now I go back and the place in jammed packed with cars.
Interesting that we have so many Russian natives on CD with long number string names. Lots of misinformation spread here as well. Draw your own conclusions.

Comparing countries that just got a watered down form of democracy tied up in a totalitarian package or countries that have child labor and human rights abuses with a first world nation that struggles to sometimes do the right thing environmentally while weighing its economic concerns are apples and oranges. In this case individual owners are deciding to do away with parking. You would have to ask each of them for their reasons. I gave you some.already. Blocking this poster as they have outed themselves to have a very different agenda so at least this thread has some practical value.

I would just ask posters who bristle at no parking to identify their age. One previous lived in a house for 32 years so betting shes a baby boomer unless she was born there. Another mentioned some other markers what indicated retirement age. I think of you examined this question along generational lines you would identify some clear differences. In my 30s-40s friends cars and parking in a urban environment is just not as important as it is to older friends. The baby boomers i know struggle to understand why Lyft and Uber are popular and encourage their kids to buy new construction in the suburbs. Again nothing wrong with that but not everyone shares that view. The OP wouldn't have noticed this trend id everyone felt cars/parking were as important as other urban home features. We sold a small urban home a few months ago that did not have dedicated parking on the property but had a space in a lot very close by. The young couple were thrilled. Their 60 something retired parents were such. HUGE PITA because they "couldn't see the car" from the window. The neighborhood is not dangerous and the car was safer from accidental street damage in a dedicated lot but you would have thought we were suggesting they blow up their vehicle instead of parking it safely. We had tenants in the home for years who had zero complaints about parking. Understand that boomer values are not universal.

Last edited by emotiioo; 11-18-2020 at 06:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate