Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2020, 02:35 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,457,038 times

Advertisements

We have a property purchased early this year thats being renovated into a commercial space. Due to many supply chain issues its taking longer than anticipated.

Last week I was contacted by an individual from the historic district in which the property is located. They expect that we will be participating in some kind of holiday house tour. Apparently all properties on the street are involved and we are being asked to decorate in a very specific fashion/allow individuals to tour the space.

Its not safe for people to walk through our space as its in active renovation status. I said as much and the historic district rep was extremely upset that we are refusing to participate (additional question...why are they even doing tours this year?) There's nothing in the contract or disclosures that this was something that was expected. I said as much to the rep who replied "its part of having property on this street and just something everyone knows."

I have no desire to create ill will in advance of opening a business in this community but im not legally obligated to allow this, am I? I've never been forced to participate in an activity like this and we have owned property in many historic areas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2020, 02:46 PM

9,291 posts, read 14,908,083 times
If there's nothing in your deed, you have zero legal obligation.

You've already told them it's not safe. Stick to your guns and don't be intimidated into anything. Just put a sign on the house "Under Renovation".

Old 11-23-2020, 03:04 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
We used to have mandatory tours here for homes on the Historic Register/District, but only if they were given an improvement grant. It was part of the deal of getting tax dollars to improve a property.

Maybe you can just agree to decorate the exterior to blend in with the other homes?

Old 11-23-2020, 03:10 PM

10,309 posts, read 6,847,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
If there's nothing in your deed, you have zero legal obligation.

You've already told them it's not safe. Stick to your guns and don't be intimidated into anything. Just put a sign on the house "Under Renovation".
Better yet, "QUARANTEEN."

Old 11-23-2020, 09:17 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,414,714 times
Of course you have no legal obligation to allow public tours of your historic building. Don't they realize that there's a pandemic going on? I wouldn't allow a number of strangers to walk through my house for that reason alone. Decorate the outside of the house and note that you'll be happy to open your place to tours once the renovation is completed.

Old 11-24-2020, 04:33 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,986,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
We have a property purchased early this year thats being renovated into a commercial space. Due to many supply chain issues its taking longer than anticipated.

Last week I was contacted by an individual from the historic district in which the property is located. They expect that we will be participating in some kind of holiday house tour. Apparently all properties on the street are involved and we are being asked to decorate in a very specific fashion/allow individuals to tour the space.

Its not safe for people to walk through our space as its in active renovation status. I said as much and the historic district rep was extremely upset that we are refusing to participate (additional question...why are they even doing tours this year?) There's nothing in the contract or disclosures that this was something that was expected. I said as much to the rep who replied "its part of having property on this street and just something everyone knows."

I have no desire to create ill will in advance of opening a business in this community but im not legally obligated to allow this, am I? I've never been forced to participate in an activity like this and we have owned property in many historic areas
I agree that to "spread cheer" you should probably decorate your yard appropriately and reach out to the commission who handles the tours. Start educating yourself for the upcoming years to see if it's something you're going to be willing to participate in each year. This would have been a fact that would have been nice to know before purchasing the home but your agent may have not been familiar with that tradition.
Put a sign in the yard that you're under historic renovations and closed to the public this year but look forward to opening your home next year, something like that. But please go have a meeting with whomever holds these tours (city, historical society, etc) and get to know them and their desires along with expressing your own desires.

Old 11-24-2020, 11:49 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,908,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post

Put a sign in the yard that you're under historic renovations and closed to the public this year but look forward to opening your home next year, something like that. But please go have a meeting with whomever holds these tours (city, historical society, etc) and get to know them and their desires along with expressing your own desires.

Best advice yet. ^

Old 11-24-2020, 11:58 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
"Pound sand. This is a construction site, and it is not available to the public. There's no insurance company on earth that would cover damages should someone get injured due to us allowing them access to an active construction site."

That's how I'd answer any demands for access.

Old 11-24-2020, 01:04 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
A tour in a pandemic of a construction zone? Hitting the holiday eggnog a bit early and hard? My answer would flat out be no. There is no way your insurance company would over this. No way at all. This just SCREAMS liability.

Old 11-24-2020, 03:43 PM

9,291 posts, read 14,908,083 times
Most historic tour coordinators take out a few million in accident insurance for the homeowners in the tour to cover any incidents including theft- but of course- there is also a pandemic right now...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate