Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2020, 03:42 PM

10,119 posts, read 6,475,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Then why did you sell it???
I had a widow maker heart attack (and heart stoppage) and living alone at age 68 in a semi-rural area felt I needed to be much closer to medical care. My current mid-century home is only 5 minutes from the same hospital where I was treated. The county where I lived before is seriously medically underserved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2020, 04:13 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,954,203 times
[quote=nep321;59824054
1. How much square feet is your home? Only include finished, heated areas. Do not include garages, basements, attics, porches or attached sheds or anything of the like.

2. Are you the homeowner or a tenant?

3. How many people live there?

4. How many bedrooms? Does more than one person sleep in any bedroom?

5. What purpose is each room in the house used for?[/quote]

1. 3200 by real estate rules. Finished and heated areas are about 5100.

2. Homeowner.

3. Right now there are four. It varies.

4. Again it depends. There are six usable bedrooms. Real estate rules say four. My wife and I have always shared the MBR. The boys shared a bedroom for a while when all the kids lived at home and we had an exchange student or had need for a guest bedroom. Right now our daughter (adult 26) seems to be occupying most of three bedrooms. That will change soon (when our son comes home from college - assuming he gets cleared from having covid).

Front parlor. This is the nice room that is kept clean and orderly for entertaining guests. Also for reading, knitting, or just sitting by the fire if you want quiet. This room has four couches, a tete a tete and a coule of side chairs (currently elsewhere) and no electronics except the light fixture. However right now it is being used as a bedroom because my father needed a first floor living space while he recovers from a fall, so it also has a bed and a dresser in it right now.

Back parlor. This is the hang out area for the family. Watch Tv/movies, or watch the fish channel, or sit by the fire and talk or play a game. This is where my Dad keeps his oxygen machine and a lift chair, so he spends most of his day in this room.

Dining Room. This is really the core of the house. Everyone has to walk through this room to get to other parts of the house. Dad does his reading of mail and papers, puzzles bookkeeping etc here. Kids did their homework here. Oh we also eat in the dining room. This is where we have dinner when we are entertaining (unless there are more than 16 people, then some have to eat in the kitchen nook, or we set up tables in the back parlor).

Kitchen. For kitchen things. There is a nook area with curch pews and a small table. Five to seven people can eat in here, but right now the table is mostly storing things that need to be put away. Also has a fold up treadmill in there for now (primarily for dad). I keep my in-the-house toolbox under the pews that form the kitchen nook. Sometimes we eat breakfast in the kitchen. Kids used to do their homework in the nook sometimes. Table gets used for crafts and easter egg decorating and the like sometimes.

Scullery. Hides the dish sink, dishwasher and stores pots and pans and cookbooks, serving trays, chafing dishes, etc.

Pantry. This is where you keep dry food. Also garbage bags, zip lock bags, paper towels and small appliances like the mixer and bread machine, air fryer, and some other things I do not know what they are for. Sometimes our kids used to go hide in the pantry to be left alone or to cry.

Sun-room. This is where the dog(s) sleep(s), or did until this year. Otherwise this room holds a chest freezer and we keep our camping gear out there. We never really used this room. It is pretty but it was a waste to build it.

Mudroom keep coats and boots, and shoes, and weapons, and hats and gloves and spray cans and spare toiletries for the bathroom. In the summer towels and pool stuff might be in here.

Main floor bathroom. This is where everyone showers right now. Also for pooping.

Pool room. This holds a swimming pool that we quickly discovered is too expensive to heat all winter despite being kinda sorta inside. Also a fireplace with a concrete deck area that had some tables in front of it, where the kids used to entertain friends during winter, or at least fall and early spring. Right now its only purpose it to store some firewood and suck money out of our bank account.

Library. Computers, birds and books. This room gets used a lot becuase the desktop computers are in here, also the large birds.

Game room (basement). This used to be where the kids hung our with their friends and played air hockey or video games when it was too cold to swim or jump on the trampoline. It served as an extra bedroom in a pinch. Now it houses my daughter's cat and some of her junk.

Jungle room (Basement). This is one of the bedrooms that does not count. No one uses it right now except my daughter's cat. It is cool because the bed hangs from the cieling on chains disguised as vines and the walls and cieling are covered with plastic vines and flowers. It is a PITA to clean though.

Beach room (Basement). Formerly a daughters bedroom it has been converted into a weightlifting room. The closet is where we store winter gear.It has carpeting the part looks like beach and part looks like water. It was decorated in a beach theme, but the carpet is rolled up because of a leak and because the weight lifting stuff would probably damage the carpet.

Basement bathroom. This bathroom has a really fancy steam shower thingy, but one of the curved glass doors broke and replacements are not available. So, no one uses this bathroom much anymore. It also has a double sink. We have no need for a double sink in there now. It was formerly the twin's bathroom.

Master bedroom. We sleep here. also watch tv get dressed and do other bedroom things.

Master bathroom. The fabulous shower in here started leaking. We had to save up money and now are trying to get someone to come rebuild it. Toilet and sink are still fine, so we do our morning routine in here other than showering.

Boys bedroom. Was unused for a year or two but our daughter moved up here form the jungle room last week.

Another son's bedroom. Currently filled with the junk our daughter moved out of her brothers bedroom to make room for her stuff. Needs to get cleared out before he comes home for Christmas. (If he is cleared from his bout with covid).

Main bathroom. At the moment, nothing really works in here except the toilet and that does not work great. Normally this is the bathroom for everyone upstairs who is not using the master bathroom.

Guest bedroom. We mostly use this room for sorting socks. My wife has her computer and printer set up in here, but she uses her netbook while sitting in our bed more often than the desktop.

Office (above the carriage house). This was my office when I worked at home. For a while it was a bedroom suite for our daughter. Now it is just storage.

Old 12-05-2020, 04:27 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,367,546 times
My house sits on 18 acres of land. It has 132 rooms, with 16 family and guest rooms, 3 kitchens, and 35 bathrooms. The floor area is about 55,000 square feet. It’s the hugest and most beautiful house in this city. My wife and I sometimes live here; I’m not sure who else does. But they’re not as important as I am, so who cares?

Some people say I’m a renter and that my lease is up the third week of January. But I disagree. I might just hang out here. It’s so luxurious. I like the view. And I have a helicopter to take me any where I want to go. Any. Where. No one else has that. Only me!

Old 12-05-2020, 07:06 PM

96 posts, read 125,123 times
1. How much square feet is your home? Only include finished, heated areas. Do not include garages, basements, attics, porches or attached sheds or anything of the like.

3,000 sqf townhouse, 4 levels, 4 bedrooms, 3.5 baths.

Owner

Myself and my college-aged daughter.

Four bedrooms. I sleep in the master bedroom and my college-aged daughter sleeps in a smaller bedroom. One bedroom is used as my daughter's study and a fourth bedroom is a guestroom

5. What purpose is each room in the house used for

Ground level: Garage, Guestroom, Home Office
Second level: Open floor plan containing kitchen, dining room, great room, and a "sunroom".
Third level: Master bedroom w/ bath, my daughter's bedroom, my daughter's study
Fourth level: Loft with fireplace, large TV, wet bar, and a terrace

Old 12-05-2020, 07:39 PM

6,903 posts, read 4,920,978 times
Considerably bigger than 1800 sq ft; one person.

Is 1800 sq ft considered big? Your friends must be idiots.

Old 12-05-2020, 08:19 PM

10,370 posts, read 6,923,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I had a widow maker heart attack (and heart stoppage) and living alone at age 68 in a semi-rural area felt I needed to be much closer to medical care. My current mid-century home is only 5 minutes from the same hospital where I was treated. The county where I lived before is seriously medically underserved.
BINGO, right here folks.

The older we get, the higher a priority immediate medical services become.

Old 12-05-2020, 10:33 PM

32,690 posts, read 48,238,918 times
Quote:
I am curious to see how other people live in terms of their household size, house size by square footage and number of bedrooms. Some of my friends have made me self conscious to be single and living in a nearly 1800 square foot house with 3 bedrooms. With that said, I want to ask you the following questions:

1. How much square feet is your home? Only include finished, heated areas. Do not include garages, basements, attics, porches or attached sheds or anything of the like. About 3800 sq ft

2. Are you the homeowner or a tenant? By federal definition, I am counted as homeless

3. How many people live there? Usually, it is just me. Occasionally a second person for two days at a time

4. How many bedrooms? Does more than one person sleep in any bedroom? Four Bedrooms, 5 bathrooms

5. What purpose is each room in the house used for? Bedrooms are used as bedrooms or guest bedrooms, living room is used as a living room, kitchen is used as a kitchen, dining room is used as a dining room, den is used as a media room, laundry room is used as a laundry room.

Has anyone already pointed out that it absolutely bizarre that you are worried about this topic?

Old 12-05-2020, 11:09 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,988,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

Has anyone already pointed out that it absolutely bizarre that you are worried about this topic?
Well that's what I need to hear from people. Clearly, it's not an issue that a single person can live in a bigger house all by themselves. So yes, now I feel much better and validated by other people in this forum.

Old 12-06-2020, 12:03 AM

254 posts, read 282,043 times
Quote:
I am curious to see how other people live in terms of their household size, house size by square footage and number of bedrooms. Some of my friends have made me self conscious to be single and living in a nearly 1800 square foot house with 3 bedrooms. With that said, I want to ask you the following questions:

5. What purpose is each room in the house used for?

1. Around 2100 sf

2. Homeowner

3. 3, 4 if you count our son who is away at college

4. 3, 4 if you count my husband's study, which has a closet & window, so technically could be a bedroom.

5. We have a foyer, parlor, garage, mudroom/laundry room, dd's bedroom, ds's bedroom which is now my office thanks to Covid, study which is now dh's office, kitchen, family room which is now dd's schoolroom, dining room, master bedroom & 2 bathrooms.

Old 12-06-2020, 02:14 AM

30,694 posts, read 18,337,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
Considerably bigger than 1800 sq ft; one person.

Is 1800 sq ft considered big? Your friends must be idiots.
1,800 is big to me, especially as it's only me. My current condo is just over 1,000 square feet, and it's more than enough room for me, though I do like the extra space if I have guests over, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate