Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2022, 09:53 PM

1,768 posts, read 717,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anicon View Post
I personally wouldn't buy a house that had an encroachment touching the main dwelling. especially a sewer utility. but that's just me.

have you spoken to any mortgage companies? will they even lend on it?
Bumping this thread because in a similar situation. Was told by a realtor the house would not be able to get title insurance and therefore no mortgage and only cash offers. In this case it is a 8" pipe serving maybe 12-16 houses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2022, 05:59 AM

8,575 posts, read 12,422,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfresh455 View Post
We are looking at a house, perfect school district, perfect neighborhood, house large with plenty of room and amenities, priced around 50-70 $ less a sq foot, but we discovered the reason we think why: during a previous recent contract they discovered a previously unknown sewer easement running directly under the property, ~30 feet underneath the house (around 15 feet below the basement). Previous owners even added on to the property but the previous survey missed it. The original house was built over the line as well as the addition.

The line in question is a large brick sanitary sewer line. It also runs through another building adjacent to the property.

They worked something out with the sewer district that essentially says they will maintain it without tearing up the ground, but they still reserve the right to tear up the ground (i.e. the house) if they need to.

Apparently in terms of insuring the house in the very unlikely event that this would happen, we confirmed that our homeowners insurance would not cover us in case the line were to fail and cause damage to the house, or if the line were be to maintained. However, our title company actually has a policy against "forced removal" due to utility easements that would cover our house. They also stated that whoever were to buy our house in the future (probably in 15-20 years) would also be able to count on such a policy when they purchase the home.

Anyway, it's a great house, for substantially cheaper than similar properties. Worth it?
Well, did you buy the house or decide to pass?

Old 03-21-2022, 06:58 AM

4,542 posts, read 2,694,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
If the line were to burst or the sewer company needed access under your house, how does the title company make you whole? Money wouldn't make me whole.

Assume the line bursts. Draw yourself a mental picture. I don't care how much money the title company would give me, it could never replace the damaged photos, furniture, and mementos that were in the house. Ask people who have had a fire in their homes. The insurance company, after a while, pays them full market value to rebuild. Would that make them whole? I would not want to live with that type of aggravation. A fire is an accident. I would not willingly live with a potential sewer line breakage or repair under my house. Elsewhere on the property is a different matter. But never, under my house.
Well, sewer lines aren't under pressure. Neither are they, most of them, after a few decades, even 100% watertight.

You wouldn't experience any kind of damage unless the sewer were above the elevation of the house interior, which it isn't, being 15 feet lower.

The only case where I can envision damage coming specifically from that sewer is in case of a huge flood, but in that case the ordinary sewer lines that every house has, will back up into the house as well, so still probably no specific issue.

If the sewer ever had to be actually dug up, now THAT would cause trouble.

Old 03-21-2022, 07:31 AM

8,575 posts, read 12,422,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Well, sewer lines aren't under pressure. Neither are they, most of them, after a few decades, even 100% watertight.

You wouldn't experience any kind of damage unless the sewer were above the elevation of the house interior
, which it isn't, being 15 feet lower.

The only case where I can envision damage coming specifically from that sewer is in case of a huge flood, but in that case the ordinary sewer lines that every house has, will back up into the house as well, so still probably no specific issue.

The primary risk is not from water damage but from water seeping into the sewer line, taking some soil with it. This could create a sinkhole under the house which could cause foundation problems or even a collapse. A collapsed sewer would be a major problem. We've had a few in our area which caused structural problems to houses--and those weren't even directly under a house.

Old 03-21-2022, 07:34 AM

43,316 posts, read 77,165,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post

You wouldn't experience any kind of damage unless the sewer were above the elevation of the house interior, which it isn't, being 15 feet lower.

MOST sewer lines are not under pressure.
SOME sewer lines are under pressure.
A careful buyer will know for sure, look for a lift station, etc.

I would not buy this property, either way.
The OP may have different wants and needs that qualify this property as acceptable to them.

Old 03-21-2022, 08:44 AM

1,492 posts, read 798,375 times
Our sewer system is a vacuum system. It is under negative pressure.

Old 03-21-2022, 09:01 AM

6,487 posts, read 10,363,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce88 View Post
Our sewer system is a vacuum system. It is under negative pressure.
Don't be so negative, try to be positive about it.

Old 03-21-2022, 02:09 PM
AZ8

111 posts, read 80,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Well, did you buy the house or decide to pass?
People rarely come back with an update. Forums are notorious for drive-by questions and to ghost those that were kind enough to give their thoughts.

Old 03-28-2022, 05:56 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,573,964 times
No way.

Stay away from anything with potential water damage - sewer lines, water lines and anywhere near a flood zone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate