Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2021, 07:12 PM

81 posts, read 85,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkingLiberty1919D View Post
Fully renovated houses are currently selling for $560K (give or take) in my neighborhood. Partially renovated (a few upgrades but nothing major like a kitchen) like mine sell for about $525K. The old rentals that were never renovated sell for about $500K.

About a year ago, I priced out getting my kitchen renovated. The lowest price I got (Home Depot) was $31k for new cabinets and countertops. I wasn't changing the footprint or even looking for new appliances (mine are already newer). I've never priced updating my bathrooms, but let's low ball it at $5000 per bathroom keeping in mind the national average is about $10k ($15k more added). So that puts my costs at $46K to upgrade those four rooms only. By the way, it's labor that's killing me. The cost of the materials isn't a lot. I thought about doing my own demo to save money, but I can't lift the granite countertops that are there (the previous owner put granite over builder's grade cabinets).

The base cost I can probably sell my house as it is now is $525k plus $46k in upgrades is $572k That is more than the average asking price of fully renovated houses in my neighborhood and I haven't even touched ripping out the carpet upstairs and replacing it with hardwood or redoing the patio to match the other $560k homes. And those nicely renovated houses didn't just get new cabinets and countertops like I was looking at. Most were major renovations with walls torn out, lines moved, etc.

If I could get double my money back or three times my money back, I would definitely do it. But I can't. I would think if most people could get double their money back, most people would do the same.
In your market, renovations do not pay. $560k vs. $525k.
If I were a seller, I would not upgrade.
If I were a buyer, I would only buy an upgraded unit.

$31k for cabinets and countertops? That seems like an insane quote. Shop harder and there are solo guys who do good work. Basic kitchen can be done for materials plus a few days of labor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2021, 03:10 PM

760 posts, read 768,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Having just lived through a complete kitchen gut renovation - there is definitely a premium I would pay to not have to go through it again, provided the renovation suited my tastes.

Before/after of our kitchen.

Sorry, but I don't like either of those kitchens at all, both of them would be ripped out if I was buying the house, and I wouldnt pay $25,000 more because the kitchen was "updated" to a style I cant stand!

Old 02-06-2021, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXBtoFL View Post
As someone who's been househunting for a year, a fully updated house that is turnkey condition, meaning you can move in on day one and not have to do anything

And I do mean updated. All brand new kitchens, bathrooms (or very nicely restored), painted, new systems and all that.

Most kitchens are more similar than not, as I'm discovering in my research into kitchen renovation designs. It seems like 90%+ of cabinets are variants of the Shaker look,

Regarding the appliances, in my house the stove was deemed unsafe to use by the inspector (a very experienced man) and can only be turned on with the aid of a lighter. The fridge has mold. I do know people with 1940s Chamber stoves that are still going strong, but your standard General Electric of 1980 is not in the same category.

You may not want to pay for the renovations but you are not the market.

When I bought my 2 bedroom full basement 1930 farmhouse on 1/2 acre of rural land in 1998 I paid $7,900 for it, the annual taxes on it was around $100. It was in liveable condition but needed a lot of work- every bit of which I did myself, I didn't hire any contractor types even once. I redid the plumbing, electric, roof, replaced most of the wood floors with ceramic tile, replaced the 1950's built-in tub with a clawfoot tub, the toilet and sink I replaced too. The kitchen had NO cabinets at all and never did, the sink was a 1950s sheet metal base unit with a cast iron sink whose enamel had been worn inplaces to the iron- all replaced along with the single hung windows.

I didnt want to buy crappy commercially made junk cabinets made out of OSB and covered with veneer, or have a contractor install that junk, I built my own cabinets to suit my use, mainly with 3/4" thick cabinet quality hardwood plywood and solid oak, the drawer fronts are solid 3/4" oak.

The stove you mention sounds like the PILOT LIGHT system is bad, that's not really a safety issue- I have my pilot lights turned OFF on my stove on purpose and always use a lighter for it. Mold in a fridge can be cleaned out.
Attached Thumbnails
Price differences of buying a fully renovated house vs. needs updates-img_3465.jpg  

Old 02-07-2021, 04:37 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
It really depends on what you are looking for. When I house shop I look at things like does it have vinyl siding, central air, natural gas heat, ductwork, copper or PEX in good shape, a PVC sewer line, Electrical that's in good shape, and the overall cleanliness level of the house.

The last thing I look at is cabinets and countertops but I'm not into super customizing my home for my "personality" because my personality is pretty bland and conservative. I probably don't fit the bill of the typical HGTV home buyer who thinks all those shows are not scripted.

Old 02-13-2021, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
. When I house shop I

House shop?

Don't people just buy a house to LIVE IN any more these days? Ive lived in the same house for almost 23 years and I have no intention of moving to another house, but it's like I read comments all over and it's like people go to all the trouble and expense buying a house and moving in and 2,3,4, years later sell and move again! skrew that! moving is a super pain in the ass, so is having to pay closing costs and a mortgage, I bought my house almost 23 years ago and paid it off in 5 years- DONE with mortgages AND packing and moving trucks!

Old 02-14-2021, 12:21 PM

1,579 posts, read 950,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by multifarious View Post
In your market, renovations do not pay. $560k vs. $525k.
If I were a seller, I would not upgrade.
If I were a buyer, I would only buy an upgraded unit.

$31k for cabinets and countertops? That seems like an insane quote. Shop harder and there are solo guys who do good work. Basic kitchen can be done for materials plus a few days of labor.

It was the cost of labor that was killing me on the quote. It seemed insane to me too. I shopped around, but it was mostly at box stores or cabinet supply stores. They were all about the same. Then again, I live in a very high cost of living area. So I think it comes with the territory. The cabinets themselves were only around $10k, it was the labor that was killing me. I just don't know where to find these solo guys who do this kind of work. I would still have to call in a granite company though to remove the countertops. No one else will touch them (the previous owners put granite on top of builders grade cabinets).

Asking on the neighborhood FB page yields nothing by "kitchen design companies" or the local box stores (which is where I got the quote I got). I asked a Realtor in my neighborhood and she told me not to worry, I didn't need to update my kitchen. My house would sell.

I guess we shall see in a year and a few months when I put it on the market. If it doesn't move, then I will consider doing something. But if it sells in a week like everything else here, I won't worry about it.

Old 02-14-2021, 12:37 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,023,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkingLiberty1919D View Post
It was the cost of labor that was killing me on the quote. It seemed insane to me too. I shopped around, but it was mostly at box stores or cabinet supply stores. They were all about the same. Then again, I live in a very high cost of living area. So I think it comes with the territory. The cabinets themselves were only around $10k, it was the labor that was killing me. I just don't know where to find these solo guys who do this kind of work. I would still have to call in a granite company though to remove the countertops. No one else will touch them (the previous owners put granite on top of builders grade cabinets).

Asking on the neighborhood FB page yields nothing by "kitchen design companies" or the local box stores (which is where I got the quote I got). I asked a Realtor in my neighborhood and she told me not to worry, I didn't need to update my kitchen. My house would sell.

I guess we shall see in a year and a few months when I put it on the market. If it doesn't move, then I will consider doing something. But if it sells in a week like everything else here, I won't worry about it.
I would take that poster's comment with a huge grain of salt.

Nobody who's actually done a kitchen remodel would agree that it takes "a few days."

Old 02-14-2021, 06:48 PM

1,579 posts, read 950,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
I would take that poster's comment with a huge grain of salt.

Nobody who's actually done a kitchen remodel would agree that it takes "a few days."

Good point. I don't remember how much time they told me in my quote, but I want to say it was more than a month. I since got rid of the quote. I decided not to do it and it wouldn't be good by now anyway. I am choosing to believe the agent who told me I shouldn't have trouble selling. My neighborhood is a very high demand neighborhood. While most of the houses here are remodeled out the wazoo, I think if I price my house accordingly, someone will buy it for a fair price.

Old 02-15-2021, 09:41 AM

899 posts, read 541,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
When I bought my 2 bedroom full basement 1930 farmhouse on 1/2 acre of rural land in 1998 I paid $7,900 for it, the annual taxes on it was around $100. It was in liveable condition but needed a lot of work- every bit of which I did myself, I didn't hire any contractor types even once. I redid the plumbing, electric, roof, replaced most of the wood floors with ceramic tile, replaced the 1950's built-in tub with a clawfoot tub, the toilet and sink I replaced too. The kitchen had NO cabinets at all and never did, the sink was a 1950s sheet metal base unit with a cast iron sink whose enamel had been worn inplaces to the iron- all replaced along with the single hung windows.

I didnt want to buy crappy commercially made junk cabinets made out of OSB and covered with veneer, or have a contractor install that junk, I built my own cabinets to suit my use, mainly with 3/4" thick cabinet quality hardwood plywood and solid oak, the drawer fronts are solid 3/4" oak.

The stove you mention sounds like the PILOT LIGHT system is bad, that's not really a safety issue- I have my pilot lights turned OFF on my stove on purpose and always use a lighter for it. Mold in a fridge can be cleaned out.
Good for you.

The stove is rusty and missing two of its knobs. Perhaps you can live with it, but I won't.

Back to the thread. I'm in the middle of gathering quotes for just about everything and I can really see the advantages of paying premium for turnkey and not having to deal with the hassles. It's time consuming and distracting and will be very expensive. I'm glad I got a good price for the house and may have lucked out in that regard (sellers were out of state heirs looking for a quick and uncomplicated sale and I had the best financing but not the highest offer), which helps me sleep at nights

Old 02-16-2021, 04:43 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
Sorry, but I don't like either of those kitchens at all...
Cool.

The fact is that the material is substantively better in the new kitchen, plus there are more cabinets and more counter space. I.E. it's worth more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate