Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2021, 07:33 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,430,117 times

Advertisements

We’ve bought and sold very few houses in uur lives so I’m not familiar with what to expect or obligations to a realtor who is looking for houses for us, or rather has set up parameters and sends me listings in the area I’m interested in. He responded to an inquery I had on a house and we talked on the phone. In the meantime our mortgage company had a realtor contact me and she is sending me stuff, though not as regularly or as interested as the first person. In the meantime I’ve had a recommendation of another realtor who specializes in the 55+ communities I’m looking at and really knows one of them well. I’ve not contacted her yet but wonder if I should. We have not signed anything with any of these people so I don’t know if I’m under any “commitment “ or not. What is the general protocol in a situation like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2021, 07:55 PM

14,469 posts, read 12,095,136 times
You aren't really obligated yet, it's fine for you to have made multiple contacts at this point, but it would be good of you to choose one of them to work with and let them all know - before having them do a lot of research or driving for you.

Old 02-20-2021, 07:24 AM

5,981 posts, read 3,720,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
You aren't really obligated yet, it's fine for you to have made multiple contacts at this point, but it would be good of you to choose one of them to work with and let them all know - before having them do a lot of research or driving for you.
Agree completely. The OP is not under any legal obligation at this point, but it's not fair to all the realtors to have each of them essentially duplicating the work of the others when only one of them (at most) is likely to receive any compensation for their efforts. Realtors are not a free public service although many people tend to use them as such.

I suggest two things. First, learn how to search the various data bases with your own criteria to screen for houses you may be interested in. Second, pick ONE of the realtors and stick with him/her for things that you can't do or find on your own. Try to do as much searching and screening on your own as you can so as not to unduly waste the time of the realtor whom you select.

Old 02-20-2021, 12:07 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,430,117 times
OP here. Thank you. You are assuring me of what my gut feeling was. I don’t want to mislead someone and take up their time. I think I will still contact this new referral I got since she is supposed to be very familiar with the communities I am looking at but I’ll be up front with her in that I am already receiving information from another one. Don’t want to mislead or promise something so she can also decide if she wants to talk with me and can even offer more than I have now. And, yes, I am very familiar with doing my own research. I live on the Realtor app but also know that doesn’t show everything. It won’t show “coming soon” posts which I’ve seen and wouldn’t otherwise. I have no worries about selling our current home but for the same reason, I worry about finding something where I want it. Thanks to those who have replied.

Old 02-23-2021, 07:52 AM

19,016 posts, read 27,579,284 times
Please, do not do 2 realtors at the same time. It's dishonest. Find one you like and let him/her do the job. If it is not working out, dismiss that realtor and hire another. Been there, done that, still regret it. Our last purchase took 2.5 yrs of search by same realtor. She never even blinked or sighed at our pickiness.

Old 02-23-2021, 08:00 AM

21,922 posts, read 9,491,642 times
If any of those realtors has shown him a house and he buys it, won't he be obligated to pay them?

Old 02-23-2021, 08:06 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,208,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choff5 View Post
OP here. Thank you. You are assuring me of what my gut feeling was. I don’t want to mislead someone and take up their time. I think I will still contact this new referral I got since she is supposed to be very familiar with the communities I am looking at but I’ll be up front with her in that I am already receiving information from another one. Don’t want to mislead or promise something so she can also decide if she wants to talk with me and can even offer more than I have now. And, yes, I am very familiar with doing my own research. I live on the Realtor app but also know that doesn’t show everything. It won’t show “coming soon” posts which I’ve seen and wouldn’t otherwise. I have no worries about selling our current home but for the same reason, I worry about finding something where I want it. Thanks to those who have replied.
speak w Realtor #3 - "I was referred to you by ___________. I understand your expertise is 55+. I have been communicating with other Realtors but have no real relationship with them - nothing is signed. Let's see if you'd be a good fit for me."

Assuming the answer is yes, then you simply email the other 2 and say "thanks for your time and effort. I have been referred to another Realtor who I will be using."

It's possible all or none of them would be the agent you'd hire to sell your home.

Old 02-23-2021, 08:11 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,315,790 times
As far as I'm concerned if you show me the house you get the commish. If someone else shows me the house, they get the commish. I avoid locking myself into one real estate agent, though it's not always possible to prevent it.

Most sensible agents can look at me and see that I've got the money to follow through if they bring me something that meets my criteria.

Old 02-23-2021, 08:16 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,208,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
If any of those realtors has shown him a house and he buys it, won't he be obligated to pay them?
from what he/she says, he/she hasn't physically met any of them.

Old 02-23-2021, 02:37 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,074,570 times
I bought a house from Realtor 2 that was originally shown to me by realtor 1.

I asked realtor one to show me similar houses, and after screwing around for a week, she said she had nothing to show me.
I called the listing agent on the house which i liked and asked her to show me a few of similar ilk, which she did. We bought the first house we had originally seen. Explained the situation to realtor 2 just in case, and she said we were all good (of course!).
\\
OP, just be upfront and make a choice when the time comes. Try not to sign stuff so you are not hooked by someone you don't really know and who may turn out to be a dud. A strong realtor will work hard for you. Then maybe you sign something ( i can hear the realtor crowd howling now).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate