Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2021, 10:38 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,988,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggo44 View Post
Where is this separate listings tab (non NAR listings) on Zillow?
I don't think there is a tab. I think they are alleging the Z algorithm bumps then down to the lower pages.

I know if you post a youtube vid on Facebook, FB buries the post quickly since YT is a competitor and they don't want the consumer leaving FB to go to YT.

My thought is why would Z bother burying the listings of non-nar members unless there is money involved. Seems far fetched to me, but I guess the techies and courts can figure it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2021, 10:42 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggo44 View Post
Where is this separate listings tab (non NAR listings) on Zillow?
Just type in any city and the homes will come up on the map. To your right, you will see two tabs. Agent and other listings. I guess REX shows up in the other listing section rather than the agent section.

Old 03-10-2021, 11:29 AM

95 posts, read 162,258 times
The article states "that three out of the four most popular platforms for viewing real estate listings now funnel consumers to homes with NAR agents." What is the one platform of the top four which does not funnel customers to homes with NAR agents?

Old 03-10-2021, 03:49 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkManger765 View Post
I wish someone would start a competing site with good user interface. Zillow's interface is pretty bad. They also don't show homes that are pending, making viewing many homes a waste of time since they are pending or contingent.

Realtor.com is better designed than Zillow, but someone should be able to design a user friendly page that can show all of the important information to buyers and compete with Zillow / Realtor.com on a shoestring budget. The internet has democratized information but seems like Zillow holds so much power because no one can design a simplified, friendly, and easy realtor site that can compete against Zillow.
That is why as realtors, we pay thousands of dollars for our MLS. We pay for the fantastic interface.

You are free to get your license and pay to join your local and national board.

Old 03-10-2021, 03:56 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,745,966 times
The larger issue is not Zillow. The large issue the real estate business protecting its out dated business model. For years the real estate business ranted against Zillow until it realized it was here to stay so best figure how to work with it versus fight it.

Old 03-10-2021, 05:20 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
The larger issue is not Zillow. The large issue the real estate business protecting its out dated business model. For years the real estate business ranted against Zillow until it realized it was here to stay so best figure how to work with it versus fight it.
REX just needs to join an indie MLS where membership in NAR is not required. They can offer $1 in buyer agent compensation. This isn't rocket science. They don't have to offer anything more than that, which is $1 more than they offer now. I know my MLS allows "outside of area" listings which can be anywhere since we are an indie MLS. With all of the money they are spending in lawsuits, they could join a few indie MLSs and be done with it.

The lawsuit seems like such a waste of money. I don't see how they could possibly win when Zillow displays tons of limited rep listings, and other lower-fee brokerages every day, all day.

Old 03-10-2021, 06:31 PM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
No.
Rex wants the access without paying into the system.
I have to pay for MLS access, and to show up in IDX feeds. Rex wants what I have for free, and then to exclude me from their transactions.

Why build a business legitimately if you think you can sue your way in?
It's about as bad as ruinous pricing disruptor business models.

Old 03-11-2021, 06:47 AM

1,145 posts, read 4,213,408 times
At least in my market, Zillow is now doing a better job of showing homes under contract. That was my largest complaint about that app.

Old 03-11-2021, 07:39 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,076,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkManger765 View Post
I wish someone would start a competing site with good user interface. Zillow's interface is pretty bad. They also don't show homes that are pending, making viewing many homes a waste of time since they are pending or contingent.

That sentence doesn't make sense. Did you mean they DO show homes that are pending but don't MARK them as "pending"?

Anyway, out of curiosity, I just did a Zillow search for houses in the town next to mine, where I had a rental property until I sold it last July. It DOES say -- on the same page -- "Agent listings" and "Other listings," but given that it takes literally half a second to switch back and forth, I don't understand the merits of the lawsuit. (And I am not, nor have I ever been, a Realtor. Just to be clear. )

Old 03-11-2021, 08:04 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,988,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
No.
Rex wants the access without paying into the system.
I have to pay for MLS access, and to show up in IDX feeds. Rex wants what I have for free, and then to exclude me from their transactions.

Why build a business legitimately if you think you can sue your way in?
It's about as bad as ruinous pricing disruptor business models.
Very well stated. I wanted to rep that so bad but have to spread some love to other posters first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate