Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2021, 05:56 AM

1 posts, read 1,052 times

Advertisements

Me and my husband purchased a manufactured TH in SF Bay Area in July 2020. The townhouse is in a small community. After we purchase three months, the builder sell other similar THs with price lower 100K to 170K. This is really ridiculous and we feel bad about it. We have contacted the builder but they said the market changes and price changes. But we all know 2020-2021 house price goes high and the price drop is just too much.

If anyone know anything we can do, please help with some advises. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2021, 07:02 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,082,509 times
I am sorry to hear this.
I too have lost money on a real estate deal before.

In my early 20’s I thought you couldn’t lose in real estate.
I was wrong.

After some serious thoughts I realized it was may fault for not doing my research better.
I also realized that I need a person with my best interest looking out for me so I now always lawyer up.
That doesn’t really cost that much either.

All involved with taking our money (agent included) didn’t actually lie to us but they didn’t tell us everything.
They just wanted our money.

Did the people lie or more important can you prove it?

I was fortunate that this happened when I was young so I recovered and got a lesson in life.

I would though recommend that you have real estate attorney review this deal.
It’s just too much of a loss not to consider it.

One flaw in the transaction or on the contract and you might find a parachute.

Good luck to you.

Old 03-27-2021, 08:38 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,020,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andydong View Post
If anyone know anything we can do, please help with some advises.
Find MrPeabody... and his wayback machine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owB6zFSZbng

Old 03-27-2021, 08:42 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,242,493 times
So if the price had gone up, would you have given the builder an additional $100,000?

Old 03-27-2021, 08:43 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,683,507 times
Quote:
Me and my husband purchased a manufactured TH in SF Bay Area in July 2020. The townhouse is in a small community. After we purchase three months, the builder sell other similar THs with price lower 100K to 170K. This is really ridiculous and we feel bad about it. We have contacted the builder but they said the market changes and price changes. But we all know 2020-2021 house price goes high and the price drop is just too much.

If anyone know anything we can do, please help with some advises. Thanks in advance!
Unfortunately, this is pretty common with new construction, even in hot areas. I moved out of a very hot area in Florida where they were building a new community adjacent to my neighborhood. The homes there were just going on the market when I left 4 years ago and were offered for $700K on average. Before the pandemic, the prices had gone down into the high $400s. Now it looks like the prices are in the mid $500s-low $600s again.

I think any time you buy in a new neighborhood, the risks are particularly high when you are the first to buy. Even if you get a good deal, if you have to sell while the community is still being built, you’re competing with new builds. Worst-case scenario is that the homes just don’t sell quickly and the prices have to be lowered or it can take years for building to start again. That’s not to say it will not happen. In that same area, they had started a big new community before the original crash in about 2003. It barely got off the ground before the crash. Once the economy came back, the community became wildly popular and has been one of the top selling planned communities in the country. That said, it probably took a good 10 years for those 2003 buyers to actually start gaining value in their homes.

Old 03-27-2021, 09:27 AM

17,712 posts, read 29,844,231 times
Quote:
Me and my husband purchased a manufactured TH in SF Bay Area in July 2020.!
Come back in 2027 and tell us how it went.
You do plan to stay in the house for seven years, right?

Old 03-27-2021, 09:42 AM

299 posts, read 225,115 times
Quote:
Me and my husband purchased a manufactured TH in SF Bay Area in July 2020. The townhouse is in a small community. After we purchase three months, the builder sell other similar THs with price lower 100K to 170K. This is really ridiculous and we feel bad about it. We have contacted the builder but they said the market changes and price changes.
Look at the bolded. These pretty much sum up your issue.

You're upset that you overpaid for a home. That's understandable as no one feels right when they miss out on saving money.

But the builder/seller can sell for however much or little as they want. It's common where I come from for the first available homes in a development to go high (they come with extras and upgrades for free to move people in) and the homes sell low as time goes on. It's annoying but you run that risk in multi-home developments

Old 03-27-2021, 10:02 AM

35 posts, read 18,607 times
I bought a new construction house in the Fall of 2020 in the SF Bay area. The builder is now selling the same floor plan in the same development community at around $120k to $140k higher. I hope the builder don't think this is ridiculous and feel back about it. I really don't want the builder to come back and make me pay an additional money because the original transactional price was deemed to low.

Old 03-27-2021, 11:58 AM

12,908 posts, read 28,007,241 times
Quote:

did you not watch any news source other than CNN. People are leaving California and big cities in droves...Its down 100-170k in 3 months.. it will be down 40% by next year.

but as the other poster said, if it would have gone up $100k, would you have given the builder the 100K?

liberal thinking...

Old 03-27-2021, 01:18 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,995,719 times
What is a manufactured townhouse? And I'm surprised to hear of prices falling anywhere right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate