Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2008, 07:34 PM

2 posts, read 10,969 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking into new home contruction. We are both military veterans and are wondering how using a VA loan will go with this this. Also, we want to know about price negotiation in the Orlando area. We are pre-approved for a home loan through the VA (which is backed by the government, so it's guaranteed to the seller). How will this affect price negotiation? We don't want any upgrades, but we are hoping to take almost $30K off the price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2008, 11:37 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,595,004 times
VA loan guarantee doesnt mean that the borrower is guaranteed the loan.
You will need to qualify for the loan AND the subject property will need to qualify. It is one of the hardest loans to qualify for but can be the most beneficial.
If this is your 2nd time using a VA loan then I would HIGHLY recommend that you look into FHA or LPMI. 2nd time users pay a 3.3% funding fee PLUS regular closing costs. The funding fee is waived if the VA borrower is disabled.

With FHA you put 3% down, have a 1.5% funding fee, and pay a 0.5% monthly MIP payment.
With LPMI you maybe subject to put up to 10% down, but will not have a monthly MIP/PMI payment or a funding fee.
VA maybe 2.15% for first time or 3.3% 2nd time. There are no monthly MIP/PMI payments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistiliah View Post
My husband and I are looking into new home contruction. We are both military veterans and are wondering how using a VA loan will go with this this. Also, we want to know about price negotiation in the Orlando area. We are pre-approved for a home loan through the VA (which is backed by the government, so it's guaranteed to the seller). How will this affect price negotiation? We don't want any upgrades, but we are hoping to take almost $30K off the price.

Old 05-25-2008, 06:25 AM

529 posts, read 2,712,582 times
Yep. Not guarrenteed to the seller at all. And the last time I read about VA loans, I read that only 25% is guarrenteed to the lender. So the lender still has a lot to loose if you default.

I remember applying for my first VA loan back in the mid nineties. The process was so complicated, it made my stomach hurt. I was thinking to myself, if the loan is guarrenteed, why is the bank being so strict?

I finally got approved, but since then I have always gone conventional. Mainly because that funding fee doesn't go anywhere. It doesn't pay down your principle or anything. When possible, IMHO it's best to try to save a little for a downpayment (at least that goes to the principle) and go conventional.

Sorry, I have never purchased a new house so I don't know if there is anything special. A house is a house, I think you can still go VA and you could still negotiate?? Not an expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
VA loan guarantee doesnt mean that the borrower is guaranteed the loan.
You will need to qualify for the loan AND the subject property will need to qualify. It is one of the hardest loans to qualify for but can be the most beneficial.
If this is your 2nd time using a VA loan then I would HIGHLY recommend that you look into FHA or LPMI. 2nd time users pay a 3.3% funding fee PLUS regular closing costs. The funding fee is waived if the VA borrower is disabled.

With FHA you put 3% down, have a 1.5% funding fee, and pay a 0.5% monthly MIP payment.
With LPMI you maybe subject to put up to 10% down, but will not have a monthly MIP/PMI payment or a funding fee.
VA maybe 2.15% for first time or 3.3% 2nd time. There are no monthly MIP/PMI payments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate