Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2021, 09:33 PM

147 posts, read 143,360 times

Advertisements

I've hit another problematic organization on another promising property. There is an HOA for a condo I'm interested in that hired a property management company to do their work. 2 weeks ago I made a call to the property manager and left a voicemail asking about parking. He left me a voicemail response the next day. I called him back and left another voicemail with some additional questions. After a week of no response, I reached out to the receptionist at the company to ask if this person was available and she said she would let him know that I called. I tried calling him a couple of other times and got no response. Finally my agent reached out and he responded back right away to her via email but only answering half the questions I had asked (that my agent had forwarded to him).

Finally I took matters into my own hands (with my agent's permission) and emailed the property management company myself. Here is our dialogue. Needless to say, this is not looking like a very promising partner to work with:

-----------------------------------------
Time: 4:12 PM
To: Receptionist at property management company

Hi <receptionist's name>,
I am not sure if I spoke to you, but I reached out to <property management company name> a couple of weeks ago and had some questions that I was hoping could be answered regarding the <Association>. I am a prospective buyer, looking at a unit at <address censored>. My agent, <name censored>, reached out at the same time and got my questions partially answered but I was hoping to introduce myself and gain a better understanding of the relationship between <property management company> and the <Association>.

When I spoke with someone earlier, I was told that <property manager's name> was the individual that would be able to answer my questions and that he is the liaison between <property management company> and the association. Can you please explain if <property manager's name> has any special position on the HOA board or the association or does he only work for the <property management company>?

These are the additional questions that I'm still hoping to find answers to. If you could please help me with that, it would be greatly appreciated:

1) Does the association at large pay for repairs on garages or is that cost one that only garage owners end up having to bear? The unit I'm looking at does not come with a garage.

2) Is there an outbound mail slot anywhere onsite or do I need to walk to a post office box in order to send mail?

Thank you!
-<my name>

Time: 4:14 PM
To: Me

Hello <my name>,
I am copying <property manager> on this response as he would be the one to discuss answers to your questions listed below.

<receptionist name>

Time: 5:51 PM

The garages are maintained by the Association. <Property management company> is hired by the Association to manage financial maters and repair and maintenance. I am <name censored> an employee of <property management company> and am assigned to manage your property.

Sent from my iPhone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2021, 12:29 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,044,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pannierpacker View Post
I've hit another problematic organization on another promising property. There is an HOA for a condo I'm interested in that hired a property management company to do their work.
Why isn't your agent contacting the listing agent? Does the seller even know you have these questions? The PM works for the HOA, not prospective buyers. The seller is the one with a vested interest in prospective buyers.

I get that you want as much information before making a huge financial decision--and the seller or their rep is the button to push.

Old 03-18-2021, 07:54 AM

14,251 posts, read 14,750,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVREDLEG View Post
Why isn't your agent contacting the listing agent? Does the seller even know you have these questions? The PM works for the HOA, not prospective buyers. The seller is the one with a vested interest in prospective buyers.

I get that you want as much information before making a huge financial decision--and the seller or their rep is the button to push.
I agree. The potential buyer should be asking the seller their questions. It is not the PM's job to answer the questions.

Old 03-18-2021, 08:24 AM

147 posts, read 143,360 times
The seller didn't know the answers to my questions and asked me to reach out to the property manager.

Either way, I'm assuming I'd have to deal with the property manager at some point if I was living here. Wouldn't this still be an issue if that is this person's communication style?

Last edited by pannierpacker; 03-18-2021 at 09:05 AM..

Old 03-21-2021, 09:14 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,044,216 times
Quote:
The seller didn't know the answers to my questions and asked me to reach out to the property manager.
The seller has a relationship with the PM and is an owner subject to the HOA. Telling you to reach out is a brush off and shows a lack of interest in you as a buyer. Your agent is doing the same to you by telling you to "go ahead and bypass me" to talk to the PM. Maybe they see you as a "tire kicker" and not a serious buyer.

Quote:
Either way, I'm assuming I'd have to deal with the property manager at some point if I was living here. Wouldn't this still be an issue if that is this person's communication style?
You don't live there, and you have no binding connection or business relationship with the PM, HOA, or even the seller, and it is plain that their lack of responsiveness turns you off. That should be enough to make you give up....so what are you going to do?

Old 03-21-2021, 09:22 AM

8,153 posts, read 8,357,075 times
Everywhere I have lived, the bank of mailboxes had an outgoing slot or I could leave outgoing in my individual mailbox and its taken care of. Did you go to the mailbox kiosk and look? This is really a question for the seller to get back to you. I would never think to ask this kind of question of a property manager. However, good point on accessibility concerns........

Old 03-21-2021, 09:25 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,910,674 times
Quote:

Time: 5:51 PM

The garages are maintained by the Association. <Property management company> is hired by the Association to manage financial maters and repair and maintenance. I am <name censored> an employee of <property management company> and am assigned to manage your property.
OK, you got your answer, what more do you want?

Your question about mailboxes can be easily answered by a visit to the property. Have you even been there yet?

Old 03-21-2021, 10:52 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,629,860 times
Quote:

The seller doesn't know where they get their mail? Hogwash!

They know nothing about the Association? Doubtful. Have you read the HOA documents? Typically what's covered by the HOA is listed in the documents. Requires reading yes. The PM does not work for you nor do they have any relationship with you. They are not obligated to discuss the Association with you as you are not an owner.

Old 03-21-2021, 11:26 AM

10,908 posts, read 7,397,769 times
It seems like many people will only answer one or two questions, and blow off follow ups.

Old 03-21-2021, 11:37 AM

6,484 posts, read 10,357,154 times
Bottom line is that the property manager isn't there to answer these questions to a prospective buyer. They are responsible to the HOA and the homeowners.

Your Realtor should contact them on your behalf or contact the other Realtor, even if they don't want to. This should be your expectation. As a former Realtor myself, I have worked with difficult property managers and I understand your frustration. If your Realtor is not helping, I would speak with their broker in charge who might be able to resolve/answer your questions and concerns.

Best wishes, I understand you frustrations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate