Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2021, 10:53 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Buyer said let sellers sue him for moving into his house,

Exactly. If you sit around and wait the the courts to take care of you then you will be waiting awhile and suffering damages. Put the burden on the other (wrong) party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2021, 01:40 PM

30,167 posts, read 11,803,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
In some states, that could get you arrested.

I had a situation of a man and his wife who were living in my father's home rent free when he moved out. My father died less than a year later and they did not want to have to move out. We needed them out since we were trying to sell the property and they had no contract with my Dad, only a verbal agreement.

We gave them almost a month to vacate the premise (long before the Covid pandemic). We wanted to do the very things you suggested and a close friend who was an active cop warned us not to do so. There is a process to remove squatters and it doesn't usually favor the homeowner or make it easy in many states.

Cash for keys is usually the best way. It has worked for me.

Old 03-26-2021, 02:07 PM

12,843 posts, read 9,573,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Cash for keys is usually the best way. It has worked for me.
While I feel for the buyers, this. Ain't no way I'm gonna trust anyone in a situation like this.

Old 03-26-2021, 02:24 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,167,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
According to the owners, the police have already said they would not enforce an eviction order.

I assume that's because the squatter is claiming Covid as his excuse? Of course, we don't know all the facts here...

Old 03-26-2021, 04:52 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Nor would they likely enforce one on buyer if they just moved in. Which is why it is much better for buyer to just take action and put the burden on seller to do something about it. Show up with movers and locksmiths and private security and move your stuff in and their stuff out. Let them cry to the courts and police.
That's what I was thinking. The property is legally theirs. They could remove the front door and just walk in. They can invite whomever and do whatever they want while in there. They could make the seller really uncomfortable.

Honestly, the wife could go water the lawn again and have someone with a video camera standing across the street. When the seller comes out to physically stop her from watering, that could be legally assault. Call the people have him arrested for assault and trespassing. Evidence captured on video. While he's in police custody, go in to change locks and move his stuff out.

Old 03-26-2021, 05:46 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,070,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
That's what I was thinking. The property is legally theirs. They could remove the front door and just walk in. They can invite whomever and do whatever they want while in there. They could make the seller really uncomfortable.

Honestly, the wife could go water the lawn again and have someone with a video camera standing across the street. When the seller comes out to physically stop her from watering, that could be legally assault. Call the people have him arrested for assault and trespassing. Evidence captured on video. While he's in police custody, go in to change locks and move his stuff out.
Exactly this. The New Owner has to be smarter than the Old Owner, and that means getting the Law on his side, which is why he needs to make himself out to be the victim in any kind of physical confrontation. I'd advise keeping the wife out of it, and showing up in (discreet) body armor to water the lawn himself, with a couple of off-duty cops or similar helping him reel the hose in and out. That way, when the SWAT team arrives, they aren't shooting at the New Owner. It's a really, really, bad idea to threaten cops with weapons, let alone start firing them. Now, this is not without risk, far from it. Old Owner may definitely feel like the "victim" here, rightly or wrongly, and may decide to fill the house up with natural gas before lighting a cigarette ('If I can't have her, NOBODY will" mentality).

Note that even if the New Owner was trying to "steal" the house by buying it cheap from distressed and encumbered Old Owner, he is still in the moral right, and deserves to receive the property he paid for in a legal transaction. Old Owner is in the wrong here, and needs to be evicted ASAP, by the Sherriff if necessary, no matter how sorry his story. Do we live in a country of laws, or do we not?

Old 03-26-2021, 05:54 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,064,605 times
Not if you’re in NYC, you get tenant rights after 30 days and evicting a tenant takes at least a year even without all the COVID-related communisms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
You have to occupy an abandoned piece of real estate for several years to claim adverse possession. In some states, you also have to pay property taxes (which the seller hadn't even been doing). This is just plain old trespassing.

I'm not a lawyer, but it doesn't look like a situation like this is covered by the CDC moratorium on evictions, which comes with lots of conditions and does allow certain evictions--it's probably a California thing, where they've outstupided everybody with the "strongest eviction protections in the nation."

Old 03-26-2021, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
Old Owner may definitely feel like the "victim" here, rightly or wrongly, and may decide to fill the house up with natural gas before lighting a cigarette ('If I can't have her, NOBODY will" mentality).

New owner gets the old owner out of the house immediately and gets the house rebuilt even nicer with the insurance money.

Old 03-26-2021, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatdude View Post
Not if you’re in NYC, you get tenant rights after 30 days and evicting a tenant takes at least a year even without all the COVID-related communisms.

Which is why the longer the new owners pizz around hoping the government or the media will save them, the deeper hole they dig for themselves. They don't seem to have acted very smart so far or had any decent advice so I predict they will make further mistakes. The old owner knows how to play the system. He may try to offer the new owners some money to compensate them and if they take it, boom... landlord/tenant relationship has been established.

Old 03-26-2021, 06:02 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
While I feel for the buyers, this. Ain't no way I'm gonna trust anyone in a situation like this.
Had one unusual case where tenant passed but adult children stayed...

Did a modified cash for keys... they had no place to move belongings so I paid for a storage and truck rental and offered cash on the spot if out by Sunday...

It worked...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate