Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 08:11 PM

1,294 posts, read 6,490,287 times

Advertisements

from reading a lot of posts, it looks like b/c of the market decline, many of you are suggesting not buying a house unless you're planning to stay in it for a long, long time.

what if we wanted to buy a "starter home" and wanted to stay in it for 2-3 years and sell to keep the profits to invest in a nicer home (my dream lake house)?

i'm sorry if this has been asked a thousand times! i tried looking for some info prior to posting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 08:42 PM

15,591 posts, read 40,493,093 times
Depending on area you may not have profits to invest into the move-up that you want.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:52 PM

2,249 posts, read 8,904,032 times
It all depends on the market you are in. My area has, in my opinion, hit bottom so to speak. Our inventory is depleting nicely and pricing is starting to hold. It should stay that way for a while and then start increasing in pricing. It will not increase, again in my opinion, at the rate it did in the recent past by any means, but rather at a 'normal' rate. 3 years may not be enough to buy, then sell, take a 'large' profit and upgrade to something like you are talking about. But again, that depends on your area. And remember, as your property increases in value? So does that place you are looking to upgrade to.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:07 PM

thanks for the replies. i don't really have to turn a big profit, just want to make sure we do indeed get our money out of the house. we will be in the upstate of sc. i don't think it's hit bottom there yet, but it's definitely sloooowwwwww.

thanks again!

Old 05-07-2008, 06:32 AM

195 posts, read 539,204 times
SC is still a decent market. Plus you have to remember the other benefits which come in the form of tax deductions. Look at the big picture. Also, make sure you work with an agent that understands what your intentions are, so they can find the "right" home for you.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:34 AM

good suggestions. thank you!

Old 05-07-2008, 11:46 AM

one more question too - should we buy right now even if we're not going to be living in the house for a year? do you think in one year's time the market will have turned around and we'll end up paying more for the same house or perhaps a better house will be available for an even better price?

i know, it's silly, to consider buying a house a year out, but it's such a good time to buy - i don't want to miss out!!!

Last edited by fisher33; 05-07-2008 at 11:46 AM.. Reason: edited

Old 05-07-2008, 11:53 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,749,983 times
You need to live somewhere and for many owning a home is a lifestyle choice with many intangible benefits...

True... the saying that time is on your side often applies to ownership...

With that said... being tied down with additional responsibilities is not for everyone...

Old 05-07-2008, 12:13 PM

165 posts, read 812,636 times
It is not a good strategy to buy if you plan to move in 2-3 years. Conventional wisdom, before the bubble, was that you needed to plan to be in a house for at least 7 years for it to make sense to buy instead of rent.

Think about it - even if the market improves significantly in the next 3 years, the transactions costs for real estate are astronomically high. It will cost you 6% of the total price of your home (not just the appreciation) to have a realtor sell it. On a $200,0000 house - that is $12,000 - gone poof! Into a realtor's pocket.

Plus, there are closing costs you will have to pay on both sides of the purchase - selling that home and buying the next one. These are often thousands of dollars.

If you really want a better/ bigger home in that short of a time frame, you are much better off renting some place that is a lot cheaper, saving your money and then buying the home you want that you plan to stay in once you can afford it.

Just my $0.02

Old 05-07-2008, 12:19 PM

we actually don't have a house to sale, so that's good and we'd try to have the seller pay closing costs. but there's no way to be certain that would happen, of course.

i just hate to throw away money renting and in our area, there's not a lot of good rental houses - actually not any really. albeit, i haven't researched it that well but there aren't many people in the area that rent. the mortgage would only be about $1200/month so that's about as cheap as we'd rent too probably.

i wish i could buy my dream lake house right now too but instead of being $200k, they are $600k!! i have to wait a few years before i get my lakehouse and hopefully if the market does improve, we will end up making a little money on a house we buy to cover the increase in the market.

i'm also looking into lake lots or a lot w/ a really old house or trailor on it and building a house from scratch - but that would stress me out sooooo much. i'm a such a perfectionist, i may go crazy trying to build a house. and broke...haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate