Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2021, 08:25 AM

1,449 posts, read 1,149,219 times

Advertisements

I was just looking at a listing for a clean (and nicely-staged, even) house, and then I got to this photo.

If the house appears to be in otherwise good/clean shape, wouldn't this be a huge red flag as to what's lurking behind/under this shower?
Attached Thumbnails
Otherwise good looking listing photos, but this...???-icky-shower-listing-photo.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2021, 08:56 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,908,150 times
I'm surprised it wasn't cleaned and regrouted or caulked before putting the house up for sale. It's an easy fix.

But, yes, red flag it is and would warrant an inspection by a pro, not just the home inspector.

Old 04-21-2021, 09:25 AM

14,489 posts, read 12,121,454 times
I'm as surprised as you are that they photographed it like that.... but mildew in shower corners isn't necessarily a sign of anything but mildew in the shower corners. It could be fixed without even touching it, with a spray bottle full of bleach solution.

No idea why they didn't do that!

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 04-21-2021 at 09:33 AM..

Old 04-21-2021, 09:31 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,030,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I'm as surprised as you are that they photographed it like that.... but mildew in shower corners isn't necessarily a sign of anything but mildew in the shower corners. It could be fixed without even touching it, with a spray bottle full of bleach solution.
Agreed. It's not a guarantee of water damage. Sometimes a shower floor is not pitched appropriately and doesn't drain well enough to prevent these things. The water lingers there just long enough to get mildew but it's not penetrating through the tile/grout.

Really surprising that this would not have been addressed prior to photographing/listing the property. At a minimum, it's unsightly and as we can see here it gives people the impression that there might be an issue with the house.

Old 04-21-2021, 09:59 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,043,958 times
The mildew in the photo follows the typical caulk lines--so my guess is this: Over time, the caulk bead loses elasticity and bond, allowing water to penetrate and remain trapped under the caulk = mildew. This caulk bead can be a stubborn thing to remove, and simply spraying it and scrubbing it does not reach the mildew living under the bead.

Tile showers need the caulk lines replaced every couple of years--less or longer depending on the quality of the job. This looks like the homeowner just neglected to redo the caulk. BTW, I've spent many hours caulking tile wet areas, and rarely encounter an issue deeper than surface mildew. But do your due diligence before taking my word for it as it is just one pic

Old 04-21-2021, 10:17 AM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
It wouldn't necessarily stop me from buying, but it would need a closer look.

That's a nice shower. I like it. It just needs to be checked for water damage. Maybe eh price needs a little adjustment, maybe not.

Old 04-21-2021, 10:30 AM

5,978 posts, read 7,382,129 times
This is the poster child example of why any property you're going to market should be cleaned by a professional prior to photos/listing. Last house I sold it cost me about $300 and a day for a professional cleaner to clean it to the point where it was near surgically clean. Money well spent, expense allocated to cost of preparing house for market.

RM

Old 04-21-2021, 12:46 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
The mildew/mold doesn't bother me (again, bleach) but day-um. That is one ugly shower.

Old 04-21-2021, 01:00 PM

1,449 posts, read 1,149,219 times
Yeah, I know how to clean a shower with bleach or whatever it takes to remove surface gank, but since the photo shows more than just a little bit of mildew in the corners, for instance, I'd be wary of what's below the surface. Seems the seller let it go (and grow ) much too long.

Good point, @MortonR (can't rep you again yet) about hiring professional cleaners. That is exactly what I will want to do when we get ready to list our home. Was it difficult to find a service that did such a good job? The few times I've tried out a general cleaning service, I've always been disappointed in the lack of thoroughness (at least after the initial cleaning).

Old 04-21-2021, 01:15 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
I mean it's just mildew.

That shower is just ugly in general, the mildew would be the least of my worries. Also that is what home inspections are for if you are considering buying the house.

It's like having poo stains in the toilet bowl lol. Gross but not really a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate