Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2021, 07:24 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2pit View Post
LOL. Well that's just a BIT harsh, don't you think?

My morals are just fine. What does the seller care where the money comes from? If I can't arrange the mortgage, then I'd pay cash. I'm failing to see how cash from a mortgage bank would be any different than cash from my brokerage to the seller at close. If you want to explain that to me instead of making a ridiculous accusation about my character, I'd love to hear WHY it would make a difference.

I'm not asking the question to "justify" myself, I'm genuinely interested in understanding why this would make a difference if all the risk was on me. Hell, I'd be willing to put it in the contract stating exactly what I intended to do. Seller gets all the benefits and none of the risk.

So do you want to be a little less of a jerk and make a thoughtful response?
The benefits of a cash offer extend beyond the simple likelihood to get an offer funded. It allows a faster timeline, and fewer concerns about things like appraisals, etc...

So to say "I have a cash offer," when in fact you do not intend to pay cash, is disingenuous.

And remember, the seller doesn't know you from Adam, and that brokerage statement could be easily faked to get you to take their offer, etc...

Put another way...if you were selling a house, and got a cash offer, and then found out the seller was trying to get financing, wouldn't red flags go up?

It isn't just about the net result at closing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2021, 11:17 AM

12,843 posts, read 9,573,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
The benefits of a cash offer extend beyond the simple likelihood to get an offer funded. It allows a faster timeline, and fewer concerns about things like appraisals, etc...

So to say "I have a cash offer," when in fact you do not intend to pay cash, is disingenuous.

And remember, the seller doesn't know you from Adam, and that brokerage statement could be easily faked to get you to take their offer, etc...

Put another way...if you were selling a house, and got a cash offer, and then found out the seller was trying to get financing, wouldn't red flags go up?

It isn't just about the net result at closing.
Yes. Saying "I have the cash to pay" is much different than "I'm paying cash." If you tell me that you're gonna pay cash........but what I mean is I have the cash to pay, but I'm approved for a mortgage. That just seems off to me. You saying "cash offer" is enticing to me and jumps you to the front of the line. Then you say "oh, it'll be a mortgage after all." IDK, doesn't work for me if I'm the seller. Cash is cash.

Old 05-19-2021, 12:03 PM

10,309 posts, read 6,847,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2pit View Post
What would the legal holdup be with using crypto?

No legal issue that I could see.
From what I understand, it appears that most, if not all the contracts in the US, stipulate transactions in "USD."

My point is, this may be changing, in the not-too-distant future. If it does change, then speculators may have a whole new way to acquire property. This could make the "house of cards" all that more vulnerable...

Once this becomes popular, I see the US Gov't creating add'l rules & reg's dealing with cryptocurrencies...

Old 05-19-2021, 02:00 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,375,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post

Saying "I have a cash offer" means the prospective buyer is offering to sign a contract without a financing contingency. Nothing more.

Old 05-19-2021, 02:28 PM

12,843 posts, read 9,573,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Saying "I have a cash offer" means the prospective buyer is offering to sign a contract without a financing contingency. Nothing more.
Meaning they will pay cash? Or just that they can pay cash?

Old 05-19-2021, 03:16 PM

6,484 posts, read 10,353,739 times
The old saying, "Cash is king" rings a bell.......

Old 05-19-2021, 08:32 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post

$1,000,000 in bit/dogecoin, or

(What if the buyer offered $1.2 in bitcoin?) Knowing full well the property is only worth 1 mil? ......

Why on earth would you give $1.2 million in bitcoin for a million dollar house when you could sell the bitcoin for $1.2 million, pay a million in cash for the house and put $200,000 in your own pocket?

You can sell bitcoin, can't you? Convert it into US dollars?

Old 05-19-2021, 08:40 PM

6,484 posts, read 10,353,739 times
Some potential sellers may prefer Bitcoin if they think it will increase in price dramatically in the future. I am too risk averse to take that chance.

Old 05-19-2021, 09:19 PM

10,309 posts, read 6,847,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Why on earth would you give $1.2 million in bitcoin for a million dollar house when you could sell the bitcoin for $1.2 million, pay a million in cash for the house and put $200,000 in your own pocket?

You can sell bitcoin, can't you? Convert it into US dollars?
Oh, absolutely. But let's look at it from a current situation, where bidding wars are the new normal. Offer a million, and you're with everyone else that offers 1 mil. Offer 1.2mil, when you only have $30k cost base, now that may put you up front. (This is, providing, the buyer thought about investing in bit/doge when it was cheap.)

Anyway, the seller may want to retain the bitcoin, with the hopes that it goes up even more. If the seller is a bit of a gambler, this could be something they might be attracted to. (Especially if they're addicted to gambling.)
Right now, we know the US dollar loses value, via inflation. So, the seller might want to take a risk, especially if they're in a position where $1 million doesn't hurt or "make" them.

The IRS hates cybercurrency. You know why? Because they have ZERO control over it.

Old 05-20-2021, 02:17 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
From what I understand, it appears that most, if not all the contracts in the US, stipulate transactions in "USD."

My point is, this may be changing, in the not-too-distant future. If it does change, then speculators may have a whole new way to acquire property. This could make the "house of cards" all that more vulnerable...

Once this becomes popular, I see the US Gov't creating add'l rules & reg's dealing with cryptocurrencies...
Any REA's that can chime in? Not specifically to crypto either...I can see why it wouldn't be common and why it might be cumbersome, but could one make an offer on a property in the US in Pound Sterling, or offer 1000 shares of Berkshire Hathaway, or Bitcoin?

Maybe it's more common for commercial properties?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate