Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2021, 02:45 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times

Advertisements

A relative has a long, thin room, probably 10'x25' off of the kitchen, sharing the back wall of the garage. What happened apparently is that when built in 1990, that was supposed to be a 500 sf family room. The plans had been approved, but when the building inspector came out he decided that it was going to be too close to the property line, so they had to reduce it from 20' to 10' wide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2021, 05:49 PM

14,320 posts, read 11,719,111 times
We have a good-sized side yard on the same side of the house as the garage. No windows look out on this yard. When our kids were little, the only way to watch them playing out in the yard was to go outside.

We also have a nice big sliding glass door on the other side of the house. It looks out on a narrow passageway and the fence between our property and the neighbor's. It's completely useless.

I will never understand why they couldn't build the house with the opposite orientation.

Old 06-29-2021, 07:08 PM

119 posts, read 59,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post

It depends on the state. In Virginia, a bedroom has to have a closet.

My folks wanted to add a bedroom onto their weekend house, but the county wouldn't issue a permit because the septic was too small. So they built a room without a closet and put a wardrobe in it. They use it as a bedroom but by code, it's a den.

Old 06-29-2021, 08:12 PM

557 posts, read 297,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchoolHouseRock View Post
It depends on the state. In Virginia, a bedroom has to have a closet.

My folks wanted to add a bedroom onto their weekend house, but the county wouldn't issue a permit because the septic was too small. So they built a room without a closet and put a wardrobe in it. They use it as a bedroom but by code, it's a den.
I couldn't find any VA county code that usurbed the IRC code of a legal bedroom:
IRC code does not mandate a bedroom have a closet.
Legal bedrooms:
--7ft ceiling (R305.1). --2 methods of egress (R310.1). --70sqft and 7ft diagonal (R304.2 / R304.4).
I only looked at counties around DC and Roanoke. I am not familiar w/ the rest of the state.

So I am assuming to circumvent the septic rule that they probably lessened the square footage so it didn't qualify as a legal bedroom, which is the most common method of getting a room classified as a den.

Old 06-29-2021, 11:22 PM

425 posts, read 419,518 times
My house has 2 bathrooms and the only way to enter either of them, was to walk through a bedroom. When I remodeled one of the bathrooms, I custom ordered a 22 inch door and squeezed it into one corner of the living room wall. Code requires 24 inches - but I figured on an old house that an appraiser would not spot this and/or let it slide, since this really needed to be done.

Last edited by SGMI; 06-29-2021 at 11:32 PM..

Old 07-01-2021, 10:06 AM

124 posts, read 113,948 times
A lot of newer home plans have a powder bath right off the kitchen. I'm sorry, but that is a 'no go' in my book! Also, I look at doors and cabinets that might open into each other. Our 1970's home has a bathroom right at the top of the staircase and if you forget to shut the door, everyone coming up the stairs is staring right at you on the loo! lol

Old 07-08-2021, 06:30 PM

22,859 posts, read 6,441,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae Maes Garden View Post
Walking through the laundry room from the garage to the house.

We have that (built in 2005). It's very small, just room for the washer and dryer. It's better than having to go to the laundry in the basement like our last house.

Old 07-08-2021, 07:19 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,462,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
We have that (built in 2005). It's very small, just room for the washer and dryer. It's better than having to go to the laundry in the basement like our last house.
Houses in California don't often have basements, but many have the washer and dryer in the garage.

In my next house, i.e. my first "dream house", there will be a spacious laundry room with countertops on which to fold the laundry, room for an ironing board, a sink, and possibly a second refrigerator or freezer.

Some people want a long, curving "bridal" staircase and gold leaf, but I want a snazzy laundry room.

Old 07-11-2021, 10:00 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,903,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Houses in California don't often have basements, but many have the washer and dryer in the garage.

In my next house, i.e. my first "dream house", there will be a spacious laundry room with countertops on which to fold the laundry, room for an ironing board, a sink, and possibly a second refrigerator or freezer.

Some people want a long, curving "bridal" staircase and gold leaf, but I want a snazzy laundry room.
Great laundry rooms are worth their weight in gold and a solid, good looking stair is almost always better than an overwrought, trying too hard bridal staircase.

Old 07-11-2021, 10:16 PM

72 posts, read 45,076 times
I saw a three-story townhouse where each bedroom was on a different floor. The first-floor bedroom seemed more like a den. You had to go through the garage to get to it.

Having three bedrooms is great but I can't imagine this floorplan would work for many families, unless the kids were older. Would probably work better for roommates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate