Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2021, 07:01 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
The basement wasn't adequately dug, so the house is about 2 feet above ground level. The builders didn't adjust the grade and built the floors around the overtowering basement. They slope by design. This is weird.

It sounds like the play room (s?) that the women found in the movie "The Haunting". My house has a number of secret passages.....because I go in for such things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2021, 07:30 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,656,809 times
My son once rented an apartment in which the kitchen was a long, narrow dead end. Counters on both sides, probably two feet between them, and probably eight feet deep. If there were two people in the kitchen the person nearest the door would have to step out if the other person needed to move.

It was a prewar building in Albany and I suspect that some of the apartments were split up to make more than it originally had.

Old 06-15-2021, 08:14 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae Maes Garden View Post
Yes, and it is a ridiculous set up imho.
What's ridiculous about it? It seems the height of good sense to me, and one need not be a ditch digger or pig farmer to enjoy the obvious benefits. Come in from outside, shoes come off in the mudroom. Come in from weedwacking, or a workout, sweaty dirty clothes stay in the laundry room. Come in from a trip, drop the suitcase with dirty clothes and you need not sort through it in the bedroom.

Old 06-15-2021, 09:11 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,318,759 times
To me weird is a floor plan where you have to go through a bedroom to get to another bedroom. I saw it a lot when I lived in a small town in North Carolina. Or a bathroom directly off the kitchen or dining room. I would think it awkward if you have guests over and nature calls.

Old 06-15-2021, 09:14 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
To me weird is a floor plan where you have to go through a bedroom to get to another bedroom. I saw it a lot when I lived in a small town in North Carolina. Or a bathroom directly off the kitchen or dining room. I would think it awkward if you have guests over and nature calls.

Wouldn't a bedroom directly off the kitchen be the servant's quarters?

Old 06-15-2021, 09:40 AM

256 posts, read 140,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Wouldn't a bedroom directly off the kitchen be the servant's quarters?
All my servants have their own house elsewhere on the property.. I DO NOT want them in the house all the time...

And YES... there are secret passages to those houses...

Old 06-15-2021, 09:48 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
I guess just about everyone's home has something that's 'weird' to others layout wise...it's just the way it is and after awhile you just adapt to it (like the owner(s) before you).

The layout of our home is very functional and well thought out but yes, our half bath is basically in the kitchen. It was constructed beneath the staircase. Our former home was similar, only the door didn't open to the kitchen but to the hall just before the kitchen..but it was still basically in the vicinity of the kitchen and it was also beneath the stairs. I wouldn't have put a bathroom there for obvious reasons but that in itself wasn't a reason to not buy the house. Now, I'm just used to it...and of course there's a Wallflower in there

Our laundry room doubles up as a mud room. The laundry room can easily be the most 'neglected' room in the house design wise...it's purely utilitarian, meant as a place to do what you need to do or pass through...nothing more.

Old 06-15-2021, 10:03 AM

19,807 posts, read 9,367,244 times
A full bathroom on the main floor without any bedrooms on that floor.

We actually lived in a home like that. Three bedrooms and a 3/4 bath upstairs, with the only full bathroom was off the kitchen. WORST designed home and layout I ever saw!! (There was no pool or sauna outside, so there was absolutely NO reason for that layout.)

Old 06-15-2021, 10:09 AM

16,076 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
I looked at a large 2020 house where the shortest distance between the garage and the master bedroom was through the kitchen. Thought that flow was a bit awkward.
I've always thought that would be eminently practical and what I would build in a house. I mean for me the fist stop of the morning is the bathroom and the second stop is the kitchen. Let's just eliminate the need to go down the hall and through the living room to get to the kitchen!

Old 06-15-2021, 11:16 AM

557 posts, read 297,552 times
Another flow consideration. I built my first house and put the garage at one end and the kitchen at the other. Had to walk through every other common area to get the groceries from the car to the kitchen. So dumb!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate