Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2021, 06:58 PM

1,473 posts, read 1,424,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Called me on what? I asked you what does your university comment have to do with anything I wrote.

Please explain what your university comment has to do with anything.
What that means is I am not some gullible ####wit, who lets people get away with bold faced lies.. you made comments about grammar errors on the website I provided a link to, that many found helpful. I asked you for links or examples... you could not deliver. Many try to downplay the impacts of living in a flood zone. The stories here confirm it.

The last Realtor I dealt with, and perhaps THE LAST, didn't bother telling me that the previous occupant of my house died.. of carbon monoxide poisoning. How many Realtors
in Florida would misrepresent the various implications of buying/ living in a flood zone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2021, 03:21 AM

23,869 posts, read 33,575,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
It's clickbait because it implies that Pinellas County is a "bad" place for sinkholes on a scale with Pasco County. It's not.

Pasco County has far more sinkholes than Pinellas County. So does Hernando County. Lots more:

https://ca.dep.state.fl.us/mapdirect...s=fgssinkholes

Also, understand that the proper term is "subsidence". That's not necessarily a sinkhole, but could be something as simple as a depression that forms in the ground.

RM

Like I said, I was giving the OP information about the program I saw and a link for him to read just like you provided your opinion and a link. I personally wouldn't buy in any of the sinkhole towns or in a flood zone. It's not a problem until it is.

He's not buying it anyway

Old 06-23-2021, 04:47 AM

5,978 posts, read 7,384,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAXhound View Post
What that means is I am not some gullible ####wit, who lets people get away with bold faced lies.. you made comments about grammar errors on the website I provided a link to, that many found helpful. I asked you for links or examples... you could not deliver. Many try to downplay the impacts of living in a flood zone. The stories here confirm it.

The last Realtor I dealt with, and perhaps THE LAST, didn't bother telling me that the previous occupant of my house died.. of carbon monoxide poisoning. How many Realtors
in Florida would misrepresent the various implications of buying/ living in a flood zone?
For what it's worth, in Florida you don't have to disclose deaths that occurred in a house.

According to the 2006 Florida Statute 689.25:

(b) The fact that a property was, or was at any time suspected to have been, the site of a homicide, suicide, or death is not a material fact that must be disclosed in a real estate transaction.

And it's called "due diligence". Trust no one. If you go into a real estate transaction without this approach, it's your fault.

I recently backed out of the purchase of some unimproved land because the setback for a flood zone had been redrawn a few years ago due to a hydrological study the county had done. The owner wasn't aware of it, nor was their realtor, as they hadn't bothered to do any sort of research on the property since they had purchased it 15 years prior. This change rendered the property unbuildable.

That hour or two I spent researching and speaking to the county's environmental engineering department paid off for what would otherwise have been the $150k purchase of what is now more or less park land, as it's unbuildable.

RM

Old 06-23-2021, 05:49 AM

53 posts, read 59,295 times
Well, i am hoping this really was the best move. We viewed a beautiful home yesterday and put in an offer on it (supposedly there weren't any others yet). Flood zone X, non evac. 400 more sq ft living space, AND a 1 car garage, for $5000 more than the home we were considering. The land is smaller, but this one REALLY has me excited (if anyone wants to send some good vibes my way, PLEASE DO). If this new house works out, then i know it really was the right option (and damn will it feel good).

Old 06-23-2021, 07:16 AM

6,484 posts, read 10,357,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
For what it's worth, in Florida you don't have to disclose deaths that occurred in a house.

According to the 2006 Florida Statute 689.25:

(b) The fact that a property was, or was at any time suspected to have been, the site of a homicide, suicide, or death is not a material fact that must be disclosed in a real estate transaction.

And it's called "due diligence". Trust no one. If you go into a real estate transaction without this approach, it's your fault.
Thank you for posting the specific state statute on the matter. I would have to assume it is the same in most, if not all states.

Old 06-23-2021, 09:21 AM

23,869 posts, read 33,575,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divine_Madcat View Post
Well, i am hoping this really was the best move. We viewed a beautiful home yesterday and put in an offer on it (supposedly there weren't any others yet). Flood zone X, non evac. 400 more sq ft living space, AND a 1 car garage, for $5000 more than the home we were considering. The land is smaller, but this one REALLY has me excited (if anyone wants to send some good vibes my way, PLEASE DO). If this new house works out, then i know it really was the right option (and damn will it feel good).
Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Thank you for posting the specific state statute on the matter. I would have to assume it is the same in most, if not all states.

I doubt the new owners of my dad's house know he died in it 15 years ago.

Old 06-23-2021, 10:26 AM

3,245 posts, read 3,200,315 times
Good luck Divine! We love visiting St. Pete and I know you’ll love living there too.

Old 06-23-2021, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
I don't care what the law is... It was as unethical as it gets. Especially considering he died from an appliance that was a permanent fixture in the house. It would not have affected my decision to buy, only my decision to give the 40 year old furnace a try. Wyoming is a great state, but its realtors, as a whole, have a poor reputation. My next transaction will be a FSBO.

Old 06-23-2021, 11:54 AM

53 posts, read 59,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
Good luck Divine! We love visiting St. Pete and I know you’ll love living there too.
Appreciate it guys! Put in the offer last night, and while we have been told (at least of an hour or two ago) there are no other offers, the seller is busy and hasn't had a chance to respond yet. Meaning they are hoping for any last offers (talk about a freaking stressful wait)...

Old 06-23-2021, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divine_Madcat View Post
Appreciate it guys! Put in the offer last night, and while we have been told (at least of an hour or two ago) there are no other offers, the seller is busy and hasn't had a chance to respond yet. Meaning they are hoping for any last offers (talk about a freaking stressful wait)...
Always good to put a two or three day expiration on your offer.. Then you are still not under obligation if they accept it late. One of my all time favorite moves was lowering my offer after being asked for highest and best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate