Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2021, 10:10 AM

104 posts, read 98,414 times

Advertisements

I'm under contract to purchase some rural land. Much to my surprise when I went to look at the property, I noticed a spring flowing in the middle of the lot. At the same time, I also noticed a plastic barrel cover and an old tire holding down some black PVC piping. I didn't think much about it at the time. After going back and studying the pics and videos I took, I realized that a neighbor must be harvesting water from the spring.

The seller did not disclose any easement agreement and the title search came back clean.

I was able to make contact with the neighbor to the north of me. He confirmed that someone was using the spring but that the person had passed away several years back so he wasn't sure if it's still actively being used. I suspect that it still is.

I'm not sure if the pvc pipe is buried all the way down to the neighbor's lot or if they are actively coming on the property to fill containers. I plan on taking a closer look at the setup during my next visit.

I have no issue sharing water from the spring. I just don't like seeing the ugly old tire and exposed PVC pipe on the property. Hopefully the pipe is buried down to the neighbor's as I'd rather not have the neighbors come on my property to fill containers. At this point I'm guessing this is considered a prescriptive easement so there is probably nothing I can do to stop them from coming on the property if that is what they are doing.

How should I move forward in handling this? Feedback, concerns or suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2021, 10:41 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,332,370 times
You need to contact someone (an attorney) with experience in rural water issues IN YOUR JURISDICTION. Every state (heck, sometimes every county) is different.

You also need a very serious search of any covenants, agreements, etc., attached to your deed.

In Texas use of one person's spring by another person would only be permitted if the two parties had an agreement. You need to find out if there is such an agreement. I do not believe that in Texas such an agreement would last forever, but if you don't challenge it you may find after a few years that you've agreed to it by omission.

Personally I would not permit this unless I had personally arranged an agreement. What if one of these days you want to use the flow from that spring?

Old 07-06-2021, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
You need to contact someone (an attorney) with experience in rural water issues IN YOUR JURISDICTION. Every state (heck, sometimes every county) is different.

You also need a very serious search of any covenants, agreements, etc., attached to your deed.

Personally I would not permit this unless I had personally arranged an agreement. What if one of these days you want to use the flow from that spring?
Thanks for the feedback.

I reached out to my attorney and she said that since there was no easement agreement found during the deed/title public record search, the neighbors have no legal right to tap the spring.

On my next visit to the property, I will disconnect the tap and leave a note with my contact info.

I don't mind sharing the water as I know not everyone can afford a deep well. But to your point, I will want an arranged agreement that I can terminate at anytime.

Old 07-06-2021, 01:47 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,417,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb808 View Post
I'm under contract to purchase some rural land. Much to my surprise when I went to look at the property, I noticed a spring flowing in the middle of the lot. At the same time, I also noticed a plastic barrel cover and an old tire holding down some black PVC piping. I didn't think much about it at the time. After going back and studying the pics and videos I took, I realized that a neighbor must be harvesting water from the spring.

The seller did not disclose any easement agreement and the title search came back clean.

I was able to make contact with the neighbor to the north of me. He confirmed that someone was using the spring but that the person had passed away several years back so he wasn't sure if it's still actively being used. I suspect that it still is.

I'm not sure if the pvc pipe is buried all the way down to the neighbor's lot or if they are actively coming on the property to fill containers. I plan on taking a closer look at the setup during my next visit.

I have no issue sharing water from the spring. I just don't like seeing the ugly old tire and exposed PVC pipe on the property. Hopefully the pipe is buried down to the neighbor's as I'd rather not have the neighbors come on my property to fill containers. At this point I'm guessing this is considered a prescriptive easement so there is probably nothing I can do to stop them from coming on the property if that is what they are doing.

How should I move forward in handling this? Feedback, concerns or suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Are you saying that you entered a contract to purchase the property prior to inspecting it?

Don't assume anything regarding the existence of an easement...although someone may have grounds to claim one. Do you have a real estate lawyer who can review your situation? If not, you should probably get one.

EDIT: I see that you made another post while I was typing this up. It's good that you have an attorney.

Old 07-06-2021, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Are you saying that you entered a contract to purchase the property prior to inspecting it?

Don't assume anything regarding the existence of an easement...although someone may have grounds to claim one. Do you have a real estate lawyer who can review your situation? If not, you should probably get one.

EDIT: I see that you made another post while I was typing this up. It's good that you have an attorney.
Thanks for the reply.

I did inspect the property before submitting the offer. I wasn't even sure it was a spring or if it was just runoff water from the recent rains. I later confirmed with the neighbor to the north that it is in fact a perennial spring.

I brought up the prescriptive easement argument with my contact at the attorney's office. She had forwarded my question to the attorney for follow up.

Old 07-06-2021, 03:23 PM

9,361 posts, read 14,115,501 times
If you cut the water completely off and someone is using it then you will create an immediate hardship for them. I would only cut the water temporarily, that is reversibly, to get the attention of the users. Once you have contact then you can come up with some sort of transition where they make different arrangements.

OR you might just find the your seller used the tubing to either drain the spot from flooding OR had a garden down further and used the pipe to irrigate. You’re rural after all.

Old 07-08-2021, 11:50 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,910,674 times
You are presumably purchasing this land from somebody, either a human being or some sort of business entity represented by a human being.

If you are still within the inspection contingency period I suggest you put your seller on the hot seat to resolve the issue before the end of the inspection contingency period or you have the option of cancelling the purchase.

If you are already beyond the end of the inspection contingency period, the issue is yours to contend with after you close escrow.

Old 07-08-2021, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
...I would only cut the water temporarily, that is reversibly, to get the attention of the users. Once you have contact then you can come up with some sort of transition where they make different arrangements.

OR you might just find the your seller used the tubing to either drain the spot from flooding OR had a garden down further and used the pipe to irrigate. You’re rural after all.
I spoke to the attorney and she suggested that I disconnect the pipe and leave my contact info there to determine if someone is still using it.

The seller is an LLC that purchased the land 10+ years ago and just sat on it as an investment. It's raw forest land that has sat vacant all of these years. I don't think they are aware of the spring on the property.

Old 07-08-2021, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
You are presumably purchasing this land from somebody, either a human being or some sort of business entity represented by a human being.

If you are still within the inspection contingency period I suggest you put your seller on the hot seat to resolve the issue before the end of the inspection contingency period or you have the option of cancelling the purchase.

If you are already beyond the end of the inspection contingency period, the issue is yours to contend with after you close escrow.
I am aware of my option to cancel during the contingency period - which is still pending. My attorney is saying that since there is no easement agreement in public records, I can disconnect it and legally tell them to stop trespassing (if they are still using it). My end goal is to establish contact with the neighbor to work something out.

Old 07-08-2021, 10:09 PM

14,492 posts, read 12,128,212 times
Is there a reason why you don't want to just go to the neighbor and ask? - or have your agent, the seller's agent, or the seller, ask?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate