Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2021, 07:52 PM

27,578 posts, read 28,687,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Do you have kids or have you had kids recently? Are you aware that childcare alone for just 1 or 2 kids is now easily running over $2000+/mo. in many parts of the country?
Yes, I have 2 kids and I live in a high COL area (DC). My wife and I decided that one of us would bring the money and the other would look after the kids until they were both in kindergarten. Luckily, we both got to share in the duties because of working from home.

We sent our kids to preschool for a few hours a day. We searched around and found ones with a lower cost. That's the main childcare cost we had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2021, 07:53 PM

45,425 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
So you were spending 20-30 a day on eating and drinking out?
I wish I could find it but there was somebody on here a couple weeks ago who was complaining they couldn't afford a car, let alone a house, but was spending $300/week at restaurants plus another $150/week on groceries.

Extrapolate that out and you get a significant amount that could be repurposed.

Old 07-10-2021, 08:43 PM

92 posts, read 58,056 times
Not counting coastal cities and high cost of living cities, how do most people not afford homes? I used a mortgage calculator, and if a couple has a income of 80k (40k a person), 600 in monthly debt, and a down payment if 10k, they could afford a home of 300k! Even 200k will get you something decent. That’s a pretty nice home in most of America, and making 40k a year isn’t hard. What am I missing?

This sounds like my daughter's or my wife's reasoning. Two very book smart women who are very clueless about real world finances. Some one making 80k a year would probably be hard pressed to pay 60k plus for 30 percent down payment, usually needed on a 300k loan to forgo PMI. Other unexpected peripheral expenses comes with buying a home that will quickly drain your wallet and bank account. Those mortgage calculators are liken to the 299.00 monthly new car notes advertised by dealers.

Old 07-10-2021, 10:52 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,890,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
40k a year is like $20/hour. Minimum wage in many parts is $15 an hour. How can someone who’s halfway motivated not reach that income by their late 20s?
Did you have to pay for college yourself too? That's a big amount of debt for a lot of people. Even if they start a full time salary at 22, it will be years before they start actually saving for a down payment and that's assuming nothing goes wrong/sideways in their life.

Old 07-10-2021, 11:41 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,379,892 times
Default 200,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Uhhhh - the fact that not all households have a yearly income of 80k???? Is this a real question?
And there no posting of the OP's LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION. 200 GRAND?? That barely buys both spouses their COMMUTER CAR.

Old 07-11-2021, 12:05 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,576,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Sure and you can eat ramen 7 days/3meals
Some people love ramen. I had a friend that claimed he knew every way possible to make ramen.

Old 07-11-2021, 12:24 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Because people don't want to live where nice homes are $300,000. They prefer to stick to highly desirable areas and whine because they can't afford to buy a house.
Ding, best answer yet.

Old 07-11-2021, 01:40 AM

32,659 posts, read 48,079,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
So you were spending 20-30 a day on eating and drinking out?

That would be very easy to do. Buy a fast food lunch at work, dinner at a restaurant or pick up take-out on the way home, a cocktail or two, a cup of fancy coffee in the morning and you would be spending more than $30 a day.

Money spends quick and it is tricky to keep track of where it disappears to if you aren't paying careful attention. It's easy for your wallet to mysteriously empty and you are standing there with nothing to show for it and not sure where the money went.

Old 07-11-2021, 08:47 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,992,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I wish I could find it but there was somebody on here a couple weeks ago who was complaining they couldn't afford a car, let alone a house, but was spending $300/week at restaurants plus another $150/week on groceries.

Extrapolate that out and you get a significant amount that could be repurposed.
lol there was a video I watched the other day of a woman the pulls up to starbucks to call out a Barista that stole her debit card information. The woman said the barista could not pay her rent because 200 dollars was stolen, but she literally goes to starbucks every day for her latte?? I get the whole theft part and its bad and all. But cmonn... maybe you dont have an extra 200 bucks because you go to starbucks every day.

Old 07-11-2021, 08:57 AM

24,590 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Ummmm...never. Today I fixed a leaky sink drain. A few months ago I rebuilt a bathroom floor and replaced the toilet. The floor had to be rebuilt because whoever built the house installed the toilet wrong. I had never done either one before.

I have repaired freeze-broken pipes and the water heater. I have replaced leaky roof shingles. I have several books on home repairs, when something breaks I have the information to fix it.

Sometimes I feel sorry for people who can't find their hood latch, let alone the dipstick to check their oil.

Good for you. I will tell granny down the street to call you instead of SO or a plumber.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate