Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2021, 08:30 AM

307 posts, read 164,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
ah the fact that many parts of the country dont have homes of 300,000. Try 400 to 500,000 and thats a small house, small lot, no coast, no lake, not in a city, etc etc. 80,000 doesnt make it and esp if you include ins, utilities, groceries, auto expenses, child expenses, real estate taxes, income taxes, sales tax, and much misc.
Some people think being house poor is some sort of achievement. Then they have all their crappy, poorly done DIY repairs because they can't afford even a basic $500-1000 professional repair. Also, they can't do simple math using a calculator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2021, 09:22 AM

4,031 posts, read 3,640,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterTrees View Post
Some people think being house poor is some sort of achievement. Then they have all their crappy, poorly done DIY repairs because they can't afford even a basic $500-1000 professional repair. Also, they can't do simple math using a calculator.
Being house poor isn't an ideal situation but it is an achievement if you consider what the alternative is. Everyone needs somewhere to live. If renting cost more, the same, or even just slightly less than owning, you're still better off owning even if it means being house poor. At least you'll have something that will help build wealth so you're in a better financial situation when it comes time to retire.

Old 07-22-2021, 09:38 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,459,101 times
Quote:
Keep in mind when many are house poor they go into it knowing they’re starting out in their career, and their income level will be rising. Also the appreciation will be greater in said neighborhood/area.

Many a friend and family member that were always broke after buying had no issues down the road. They’re also sitting on tons of equity that was used to move up the housing food chain. As someone who waited until 40 to buy I look back and think shoulda, coulda, woulda.

Old 07-22-2021, 11:04 AM

4,031 posts, read 3,640,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Keep in mind when many are house poor they go into it knowing they’re starting out in their career, and their income level will be rising. Also the appreciation will be greater in said neighborhood/area.

Many a friend and family member that were always broke after buying had no issues down the road. They’re also sitting on tons of equity that was used to move up the housing food chain. As someone who waited until 40 to buy I look back and think shoulda, coulda, woulda.

Yep. It’s definitely taking a big risk in those early years but the reward is worth it.

Old 07-22-2021, 11:11 AM

27,575 posts, read 28,680,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
It is hard to convince some people about the importance of having a long time horizon.

I guess it is a concept that not everyone wants to wrap their heads around.

Old 07-22-2021, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Being house poor isn't an ideal situation but it is an achievement if you consider what the alternative is. Everyone needs somewhere to live. If renting cost more, the same, or even just slightly less than owning, you're still better off owning even if it means being house poor. At least you'll have something that will help build wealth so you're in a better financial situation when it comes time to retire.
You can buy a home and not be house poor by taking the time to figure out expenses. You can buy something affordable or wait another year or two to save more. And yes, I live in a HCOL area and it still makes the most sense. You have to look very closely at rent vs. home costs because you can't just compare rent payments to mortgage payments, you also need to add in homes expenses in the short and long term. The problem is that people have gotten into a cycle of debt so the finance everything. New roof? Finance. New water heater? Put on credit card. Home renovations? Pay it all with a home loan or HELOC. The interest paid quickly outweighs any equity. You can build wealth by investing while renting. Taking control of personal finances is an achievement.

Old 07-22-2021, 01:23 PM

779 posts, read 424,561 times
Well there are definitely different "house poor" scenarios here.

One might be I live in an area with very high housing prices. I've ran the numbers and know things are going to be tight, but I think it's important to get in the game. I'll try to limit how much I spend as much as possible so I'm not too strained financially. I'll make sacrifices in other areas of my budget so I don't get into a pinch.

Another is I live in an area where I could comfortably afford a 1500sqft 4/2 in a decent neighborhood but I have an expectation of living in a 2800sqft 5/4 in the more prestigious neighborhood. So that's what I'm going to do. Lender says I can get a mortgage for the bigger house so I must be able to afford it. Budget? Isn't that for poor people? We are fine we make $100k/yr.

I certainly wouldn't criticize the former for going in with eyes open and taking a calculated risk. It's the latter that I would criticize.

Old 07-22-2021, 02:54 PM

72 posts, read 45,025 times
Quote:
You can buy a home and not be house poor by taking the time to figure out expenses. You can buy something affordable or wait another year or two to save more. And yes, I live in a HCOL area and it still makes the most sense. You have to look very closely at rent vs. home costs because you can't just compare rent payments to mortgage payments, you also need to add in homes expenses in the short and long term. The problem is that people have gotten into a cycle of debt so the finance everything. New roof? Finance. New water heater? Put on credit card. Home renovations? Pay it all with a home loan or HELOC. The interest paid quickly outweighs any equity. You can build wealth by investing while renting. Taking control of personal finances is an achievement.
This is a smart post. I can't necessarily say whether buying or renting is the better decision. I used to think it was a wash after you account for home repairs and renovations, which tend to make the financial benefits of owning a lot lower than people think. Lately, in an insane market, of course everyone with a house looks like an investing genius. The big issue for me is that rents are currently soaring where I live and I really doubt they'll be coming down any time soon. So I think locking in housing costs by buying is the most sensible move. But I totally agree about buying something affordable (to the extent possible). People love the leverage of a mortgage, but they forget that leverage works both ways and we will not always be in boom times. Buy what you can afford, live modestly, and use index funds or rental properties -- not your main residence -- as your main investment vehicles.

Old 07-22-2021, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingHomeATL View Post
This is a smart post. I can't necessarily say whether buying or renting is the better decision. I used to think it was a wash after you account for home repairs and renovations, which tend to make the financial benefits of owning a lot lower than people think. Lately, in an insane market, of course everyone with a house looks like an investing genius. The big issue for me is that rents are currently soaring where I live and I really doubt they'll be coming down any time soon. So I think locking in housing costs by buying is the most sensible move. But I totally agree about buying something affordable (to the extent possible). People love the leverage of a mortgage, but they forget that leverage works both ways and we will not always be in boom times. Buy what you can afford, live modestly, and use index funds or rental properties -- not your main residence -- as your main investment vehicles.
You said it well. Our first house was nothing like what we have now but it was what we could afford. Thank goodness because we were able to go through a layoff during a bad economy and the ability to have an extended maternity leave of nearly 1 year. We moved up and may stay here until the end because it is a great house and location, but we still made sure that we could weather any unexpected events (like a pandemic!).

Old 07-23-2021, 07:38 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,024,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
How old are your wife and her children? I think anyone who has not had to pay a college bill after 2008 doesn't really grok the problem.
And some of us don't even grok grok. (At least not until we Googled it.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate