Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2021, 09:27 AM

2,170 posts, read 1,956,466 times

Advertisements

I'm in south jersey, and I have some zillow and redfin email alerts setup. In the spring these emails might have had 3-4 houses on them. Now I'm getting emails with 25+ houses. It seems that the number of houses for sale is increasing.

I've also noticed a number of these listings show "price drops" which again is the first time I'm seeing that in 2021.

Anyone else notice this? Could the housing market finally be cooling down a bit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2021, 09:41 AM

32,659 posts, read 48,079,532 times
There are always a lot more houses on the market in the summer where I am at.

Currently, there are not "a lot more" houses on the market, but there are more houses on the market than there were over the winter. Prices are still high and appear to be going up and decent houses sell really quickly, often within a couple of days. Really expensive upper end houses have historically taken a lot longer to sell but even those are moving quickly.

Forever and always, agents here have tested the market by seriously over pricing and then having a price drop in a couple of weeks if no one bites. So you can look on line and see several "price reductions" but those do not mean that prices are going down in this area.

Old 07-09-2021, 12:43 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
There are always a lot more houses on the market in the summer where I am at.

Currently, there are not "a lot more" houses on the market, but there are more houses on the market than there were over the winter. Prices are still high and appear to be going up and decent houses sell really quickly, often within a couple of days. Really expensive upper end houses have historically taken a lot longer to sell but even those are moving quickly.

Forever and always, agents here have tested the market by seriously over pricing and then having a price drop in a couple of weeks if no one bites. So you can look on line and see several "price reductions" but those do not mean that prices are going down in this area.
Same here.

We are running a steady 2-3 signs in our area, but they still get multiple offers over asking within a few days. Most are turning out to be empty nesters retiring and downsizing, and so far all buyers that I have seen were millennials with young kids close to school age. The last one went for $60k over asking, and these are in the $800k-900k range. We are also seeing lots of the new construction tract homes in the $1.2-1.5 million range selling fast, and now more small developments are starting to build again.

Old 07-10-2021, 05:54 PM

125 posts, read 122,030 times
There’s an ass ton more listings in my area of Virginia and pretty much any other place I’ve looked at on MLS.

Old 07-10-2021, 06:11 PM

1,449 posts, read 1,150,481 times
I've been noticing and wondering the same thing, OP. I have email alerts set up for 3 completely different locations (my current one as I would be a seller, plus two potential move-to locations).

One potential move-to location still shows very quick sales and most (for my search criteria) closing for over asking (sometimes way over). The other potential location shows very quick sales for houses I consider true winners but less of the crazy over-asking sales prices.

In both locations, I do see a lot of lemons for sale -- probably people who are hoping to unload a property with incurable defects during this hot market cycle.

Old 07-11-2021, 11:07 AM

65 posts, read 40,973 times
I'm seeing the lowest inventory since the winter. Nothing is on the market. Everything from the Spring is sold off and nothing new hitting the market.

Old 07-11-2021, 01:29 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,941,823 times
Yes, I'm seeing more houses hit the market. I'm also getting alerts for price decreases. However, most of these houses need quite a bit of expensive work. Also, I am seeing alot of townhouses and condos.

Old 07-11-2021, 02:25 PM

249 posts, read 166,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoleaConstrictor View Post
I'm seeing the lowest inventory since the winter. Nothing is on the market. Everything from the Spring is sold off and nothing new hitting the market.
Where would that be to be so tight?

Old 07-11-2021, 02:27 PM

9,144 posts, read 6,202,297 times
Very little inventory has come on the market since I sold in 4Q2020.

Old 07-11-2021, 04:56 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,355,682 times
There is a slightly higher inventory compared to the winter months, but the market really is not seeing an upswing in the number of listings. There is still a BIG shortage of inventory in my area at all price points. Not seeing any price drops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate