Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2021, 06:00 PM

65 posts, read 40,808 times

Advertisements

Hypothetical
2 condo units.
Identical sq ft.

But, one is a duplex.
2 bedrooms are upstairs

Which one sells for higher price?

Duplex would feel like more space? Whole 'nother floor !
Separate sleep area if couple has different lifestyle timings?

But, older folks may see stairs as negative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2021, 08:20 PM

265 posts, read 1,063,309 times
Senior here, late 60s, solo, still working, regular gymgoer (average, not a fanatic). Just moved (renting) from a condo with 2 floors to one of similar sf on one floor in a garden building with a passenger elevator. Each situation had/has pros and cons, but I do NOT miss stairs and I do not plan to buy anything in the future with stairs (except, perhaps, a flight to the basement if I have to, but laundry needs to be on main floor). I never thought I'd say that, but it's true. I visited my parents often in FL and they lived in several homes over 25 years, all one-level. In my late 50s it wasn't an issue. In my late 60s and looking ahead it is.

Old 07-14-2021, 08:27 AM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
You probably need someone with a degree to help you. That's too complicated for us Realtor simpletons to figure out. Wait, I do have a degree! Let me give this a shot.

The answer, of course, is it depends on the buyer. People will have different preferences based on needs. Also location would matter in valuations as well.

Old 07-14-2021, 08:42 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,084,776 times
That is one factor among many. Is the other one in a multi unit building where you have someone above (or below) you? What are all the other factors? And don't say they are all the same because that is just a way to ignore many other factors that are important.

In general single family homes are more desirable followed by duplexes (only one common wall) followed by town house (two common walls) followed by multistory where you can have multiple common walls. But that is all only one factor to consider.

And yes I have seen duplexes that are single floor, not real common, but not unicorns either.

Old 07-14-2021, 08:56 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
It depends on the buyer and depends on the area. In places where that is typical, it will not be seen as a negative as much. In other areas, it would be.

We had a duplex (condo) that was just as you described. 2 bedroom / 2.5 bath, both bedrooms and full baths upstairs. Half bath and all living areas downstairs. Had an attached 2-car garage. Older folks who were downsizing didn't like the bedrooms upstairs. Younger folks who were buying their first home, loved that the bedrooms were upstairs. We sold it with no problem and for full price. The buyer was a young, single professional.

Old 07-14-2021, 09:27 AM

17,706 posts, read 29,796,003 times
We are ages 72/63 and live in a side-by-duplex.
Bedrooms upstairs which are fine with us.
Average price for a duplex side in our neighborhood is $950K+.
Not condominium form of ownership, but fee simple with a party wall agreement.

Old 07-14-2021, 10:40 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
I don't understand what you mean "two condo units, one is a duplex".

Do you mean one is a normal apartment flat and the other is half of a vertically divided duplex?

And not all duplexes are multi story, either.

In the one that's not a duplex how many neighbors would you have/share walls, ceilings, floors with?

Old 07-14-2021, 11:30 AM

779 posts, read 423,853 times
The one with the bedrooms upstairs will consistently sell for an additional $13,989.

The real answer is there is no answer. We can discuss the pros and cons of living in single story versus multi story. People can share their experiences, insights, and preference. But you won't get the answer you seek because it doesn't exist. There are thousands of variables, personal preference, etc to be accounted for. It's impossible to distill that down to a single variable.

Old 07-14-2021, 11:41 AM

3,073 posts, read 3,260,320 times
OP, while I agree that there are too many factors to answer generically, but one thing to consider is the overall makeup of the complex and surrounding community. If it's a 2+ story unit in an area that has a lot of retirees, then that might work against you. However, if it's a 2+ story unit that's primarily young families, then it may be a positive (all the more so that multiple stories tends to add square footage on paper that may sway younger families that don't understand the difference).

Old 07-14-2021, 11:58 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
The duplex only has one shared wall, which is a plus. Other than that, you are going to have to provide two condo units to compare because generalizations aren't working well for your questions.

The one with the most square footage with the best floorplan is going to feel more spacious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate