Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2021, 10:37 AM

6 posts, read 4,362 times

Advertisements

I'm concerned about the EMF levels, not physically touching them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2021, 11:06 AM

10,908 posts, read 7,402,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
If you touch the power lines you will die... so don't do that. lol

Do you ever see millions of dead birds who perch on power lines? No you don't. Utility workers have no known increase in health issues related to EMF. Do you know what a barehand lineman is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MXMJ_7mGxQ
My husband used to work for the power company; part of his job was turning the power off and on to lines that needed work. If he turned it on too soon, linemen died.

Looks like that guy in the video is wearing rubber gloves, which provide some protection, unless there's a hole. Is he actually touching a live line?

Old 07-20-2021, 11:52 AM

9,144 posts, read 6,196,866 times
Are they telephone lines or electric power lines? Very different power going through them.

If you have trees near the lines, the local utility company will have the right to trim the tree to reduce the danger of a limb falling on a line. You might or might not like the way they trim the tree.

Old 07-20-2021, 12:08 PM

6 posts, read 4,362 times
It's a great question, I'm not sure. It looks like they might be multi-usage poles but I can confirm with the electricity company. I assume the trees are already sculpted for safety but who knows -- they offer great privacy so that would be sad if they got cut.

I gave PGE the address and they're going to remotely share power level numbers with me which is great to have.

Old 07-20-2021, 01:22 PM

6,484 posts, read 10,360,322 times
It may be an aesthetics issue for some, but I see no trouble with the overhead power lines and have lived in communities with and without. I do prefer underground utilities but I do realize in some locals that it isn't practical nor frequently done. My preference has nothing to do with health concerns.

Old 07-20-2021, 04:56 PM

15,439 posts, read 7,502,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue777 View Post
No offense....... But I wouldn't buy a home with power poles present.

An absolute eyesore and terrible resale value and always the possibility of a wire hitting your house and causing a fire.
Power lines don't affect resale when all of the homes have them. Like here in Houston, where nearly everything in the city has power poles in front or behind the house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMND View Post
I'm concerned about the EMF levels, not physically touching them.
The EMF levels just aren't an issue. There's no evidence they are harmful. Keep in mind you have wires in many of the walls of your house that are going to create EMF, and you are close to those all the time.

Old 07-20-2021, 10:39 PM

10,311 posts, read 6,852,246 times
110V is quite different than 14,000V.

Respect the bigger number...

Old 07-21-2021, 03:09 AM

22,210 posts, read 19,238,916 times
what i know is that when i was looking to buy a home, and i was a single mom to 3 small children, and i asked the realtor "would you buy this house which has these power lines nearby" the realtor said "no i would not." he said it was for the same reason i had concerns, and that is health risk.

Old 07-21-2021, 05:05 AM

4,856 posts, read 3,286,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue777 View Post
No offense....... But I wouldn't buy a home with power poles present.

An absolute eyesore and terrible resale value and always the possibility of a wire hitting your house and causing a fire.
Poles or the big multi-line towers? There are cities all over the country that stll use overhead power lines. And that means poles have to be somewhere. Of all the things to base a buying decision on, where the power/telephone pole is would be way down the list.

Poles are on the east side of my street (my side). I can almost assure you that the houses on the west side aren't worth any more money. In fact, an argument might be made that the poles are more noticeable from across the street.

Old 07-21-2021, 05:10 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,681,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
Poles or the big multi-line towers? There are cities all over the country that stll use overhead power lines. And that means poles have to be somewhere. Of all the things to base a buying decision on, where the power/telephone pole is would be way down the list.

Poles are on the east side of my street (my side). I can almost assure you that the houses on the west side aren't worth any more money. In fact, an argument might be made that the poles are more noticeable from across the street.
If you live in an older part of a city/town, it might not have been economical or practical to change them to buried lines. Everyone has power lines by them in my neighborhood. They are usually in people’s backyards and some have them running in their side yards as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate