Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2021, 05:24 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,119,343 times

Advertisements

No problems with electric power lines also called transmission lines unless you contact the wires directly. But like all tall objects they might be struck by lightning. Or even more rarely like with unstable soil or earthquake or an explosion one might topple over and touch something.

However when we see them our minds subconsciously are leery despite facts to the contrary. So there is a visual impact. This may reduce the price slightly by affecting the buyer pool if there are lots of alternative houses available. But in a seller’s market if you can see through these “concerns” you can do okay. But when you go to sell, if it changes to a buyer’s market it might take longer for you to sell it except to others who can ignore the visual effect of all of those wires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2021, 07:28 AM

3,933 posts, read 2,198,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMND View Post
I'm considering buying a home with 3 utility poles on the sidewalks surrounding the property: one on the back fence, one on the top right corner, one about 10 feet away next to the driveway. All are about 10 ft from the house. It seems that the lines for all 4 streets originate on my property. Multiple lines (5+) overhang the home and backyard. Unfortunately I don't have the chance to use a meter to detect levels, as the offer is due today.

I don't mind the unsightliness of it but am primarily concerned about my health and secondarily the resale value.

I've done a lot of research and searched this forum but haven't seen a good example of clustering like this. I'd imagine the levels would just compound but I'd love your thoughts on the risk.

Thanks!
Seeing so many power lines - is ugly to me.
I would not even look at the property no matter the price value.
(I check Google’s Earth/street view before even considering of calling an agent)
There could be people like me.

There are no regulations in the US regarding health implications of the residential power lines.

https://www.epa.gov/radiation/are-th...ns-power-lines

Your best bet to find the answer to your question is to look what EU regulations are- as EU countries must care for the long-term effects and the health of their citizens- the government is on the hook for their healthcare costs- so it might have some/more stringent rules.

I see their governments research on health implications of emf, pesticides, food additives and colorants,etc. as a benefit of the universal healthcare system funded by all taxpayers. I would trade our overseas military bases for that

Old 07-21-2021, 08:49 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,821,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
My husband used to work for the power company; part of his job was turning the power off and on to lines that needed work. If he turned it on too soon, linemen died.

Looks like that guy in the video is wearing rubber gloves, which provide some protection, unless there's a hole. Is he actually touching a live line?
Retired Power Company former employee.

The lineman ... He's wearing a conductive suit. Bare handing is not the same as 'gloving'. They do not wear rubber anything.

If your husband was a dispatcher... what does he say about EMF? Seems like he'd be the place to ask if what you say is true.

EMF poses no significant risk other than scare people.

Old 07-21-2021, 09:09 AM

6 posts, read 4,362 times
Thanks so much for your thoughtful replies. I really appreciate each of your perspectives.

Old 07-21-2021, 09:27 AM

15,440 posts, read 7,506,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
110V is quite different than 14,000V.

Respect the bigger number...
EMF decreases by inverse square. So, if you are 40 feet away, the EMF is 1/1600 of what it is a foot away. Power line voltage shouldn't be an issue.

Old 07-21-2021, 11:23 AM

2,040 posts, read 4,556,934 times
I have always lived in older established neighborhoods. I have never NOT had power lines from the road to the house. I never thought much about it because they are everywhere in the Baltimore-Washington area. Of course, there are newer developments popping up everywhere with power and utility lines underground. My sister lives in a neighborhood built in the 80s and all lines are underground. My home was built in the 50s and the lines are above ground.

Old 07-21-2021, 11:50 AM

373 posts, read 311,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMND View Post
I'm considering buying a home with 3 utility poles on the sidewalks surrounding the property: one on the back fence, one on the top right corner, one about 10 feet away next to the driveway. All are about 10 ft from the house. It seems that the lines for all 4 streets originate on my property. Multiple lines (5+) overhang the home and backyard. Unfortunately I don't have the chance to use a meter to detect levels, as the offer is due today.

I don't mind the unsightliness of it but am primarily concerned about my health and secondarily the resale value.

I've done a lot of research and searched this forum but haven't seen a good example of clustering like this. I'd imagine the levels would just compound but I'd love your thoughts on the risk.

Thanks!
I did EMF testing, but now retired.

Most likely, you will have higher levels than most Americans. You will get higher levels of EMF the closer you are to the wires. Second story usually gets hit harder, since they are closer.

I wouldn't worry about cancer, but some people are sensitive to EMFs and they can feel the effects. Not life threatening, but minor symptoms which nag at them.

Old 07-21-2021, 07:22 PM

2,367 posts, read 910,329 times
I would not go for this house, from a Feng Shui perspective. And the poor aesthetics means bad curb appeal.

Old 07-22-2021, 09:15 AM

11,136 posts, read 9,769,935 times
There is no EMF hazard from residential distribution lines. Lines at the top of the pole, going from pole to pole, are typically 4KV distribution lines and that is the lowest level distribution line. Lines going from a transformer to a home (known as a service drop) are even lower, each of the two "hot" legs equaling 120V for a total of 220V, and are completely harmless. We are all surrounded every single day of our lives by 110V and 220V electrical lines going through the walls of of our homes. People sleep under 110V electric blankets, electric lines pass through the walls inches from the head of your bed, we sit under lamps to work and read for hours at a time. If this level of EMF was dangerous, we would all be dying of it already.

I worked for 25 years for an electric utility and my co-workers worked directly with much higher voltages all day for their entire careers without harm. That's not saying that there is not some individual, somewhere, who is sensitive to EMF, but for the rest of us, it's fine.

I personally would never own a home with that many unattractive lines around it. Seriously ugly. Also, if they cross the property, you can't put a pool under them. You would have to pay to have them routed around the pool area.

Old 07-22-2021, 09:30 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,821,720 times
There is very little 4KV anymore. Most distribution primary is 13KV or 23KV, but what you say is true.

Transmission voltages range from 69KV to 500KV in the US. Ultra high voltages do exist, but not in the US, yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate