Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2021, 10:53 AM

1,185 posts, read 1,504,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMND View Post
the offer is due today.
Resale value is going to take a hit. Nobody likes ugly power lines.

Health concerns? That will depend on the kind of lines. There's really not enough research in this area, but if they're low voltage, you'll likely be fine.

I would be more concerned with the buzzing. Some of those high voltage lines are known to buzz quite loudly. You might not hear it during the day with the birds, insects, cars, people, etc, but at night in winter?

I think the biggest issue with your post is the part I quoted. I hope you didn't fall for the oldest agent trick in the book, especially for a self-described "ugly" home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2021, 11:43 AM

6,484 posts, read 10,357,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdev View Post
Resale value is going to take a hit. Nobody likes ugly power lines.
In the mass majority of the country, consumers don't get to pick and choose if they have above ground or underground utilities. It comes down to what is customary in a particular area or what a developer chooses to install. The consumer picks a community/home that fits their needs with the understanding of what is available at their budget.

Old 07-22-2021, 10:19 PM

Quote:
There's really not enough research in this area........
I am very skeptical about this statement. Overhead power lines have existed over 100 years. Conversely, I see a lack of credible research stating that they are harmful.

Old 07-22-2021, 10:35 PM

10,309 posts, read 6,852,246 times
Hmmmm….
Attached Thumbnails
3 power poles surround corner property with lines overhanging home and backyard. What are the health risks?-ed25a8ab-790f-4fed-96f1-08f583ecb007.jpeg  

Old 07-23-2021, 05:41 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,818,275 times
Power lines are beautiful when you're out of power. No one wants to live near them but nobody wants to do without electricity.

Old 07-23-2021, 06:00 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,439,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue777 View Post
No offense....... But I wouldn't buy a home with power poles present.

An absolute eyesore and terrible resale value and always the possibility of a wire hitting your house and causing a fire.
Wow - that's a broad brush statement. Many older neighborhoods still have power poles. I live in one myself and all of the homes that have gone up for sale recently have gone under contract in days. The prices of ones that were bought even two years ago have been exponentially higher as well. This is a quiet, very well-kept neighborhood with nice big yards and power poles are just a fact of life - no one cares.

Old 07-23-2021, 06:03 AM

1,185 posts, read 1,504,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
I am very skeptical about this statement. Overhead power lines have existed over 100 years. Conversely, I see a lack of credible research stating that they are harmful.
It's pretty well-known. Some studies have been done that have been unable to conclusively link EMF to cancer, but research continues because there has been shown to be a weak link.

Straight from the NIEHS: "The NIEHS concludes that ELF-EMF exposures cannot be recognized as entirely safe because of weak scientific evidence that exposure may pose a leukemia hazard."

Old 07-23-2021, 07:03 AM

Quote:
It's pretty well-known. Some studies have been done that have been unable to conclusively link EMF to cancer, but research continues because there has been shown to be a weak link.

Straight from the NIEHS: "The NIEHS concludes that ELF-EMF exposures cannot be recognized as entirely safe because of weak scientific evidence that exposure may pose a leukemia hazard."
And your source of information ?? If you want to quote the NIEHS, you should be able to provide a link to the study in question. The type of power line (volts) has an impact, I seriously doubt the average power line in the average community poses much threat compared to a high tension (major trunk) power line that is typically 50 or more feet above ground for a very good reason.

Old 07-23-2021, 09:12 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,263,860 times
Pass. Personally we skipped on so many homes with that problem.

Old 07-23-2021, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prosze View Post
Pass. Personally we skipped on so many homes with that problem.
Fair enough, but the existence of overhead power lines is not a "problem", only that it is not your preference. As stated earlier, people and power lines have co-existed for more than 100 years and when underground utilities don't exist, it may be your only option. Some people can install solar panels but some feel those are an eyesore just as much as the overhead lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate