Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2021, 12:20 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times

Advertisements

Good info, everyone!

This particular manufactured home is on its own 1/3 acre lot. No HOA, no park.

This area does get snow. It's at 6600 ft. The caution about snow is apt. That will probably prevent us from buying this HUD-Code home because we wouldn't be there much in the winter to deal with snow load. And I expect my spouse will object to the lack of a garage.

But I sure would enjoy the heck out of that area in the summer. Fresh air, tall pines, great views. The search continues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2021, 12:58 PM

14,473 posts, read 12,101,318 times
If well maintained, and it sure does look nicely kept, it should still be very good.

It looks like it was well placed with a permanent foundation and a good roof. I wouldn't worry about the home age assuming it looks that good when inspected close up .

That vintage of manufactured home should not really be considered "mobile" anyway. They're not intended to ever be moved. They're well constructed and well insulated with 2x6 walls, sheetrock, and all other modern finishes typical at the time. They're heavy, not like old mobiles built to be light weight.

The only thing I don't like about it is the vinyl siding... and the fire danger of all those pines. It may well be wonderful and a nice getaway for the rest of your lives... but if fire comes through, nothing will save it, with all those trees that close. And it's not just your lot, it's the whole community if you look at the wider satellite image. That would be my only caveat... Have good insurance and don't leave anything there you can't lose. Because those high dry hills and pines are always vulnerable. I was born not too far from there.

Old 07-25-2021, 02:26 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
If you can find out the manufacturer I’m sure you can find out a lot more because they’re all different.

To me I guess I’m confusing manufactured and modular. My grandparents bought a new single wide trailer and put it in a park in 1967 or so. It has three bedrooms, and the galley kitchen a little dining area and a living area with a big window that looks outside. Like a picture window. Where they live it was across from a drive-in theater and we used to drag pillows out and sit on the big wrought iron wire grid steps and little deck. We could see the movie and if enough cars were there we could hear it.

This little walk down memory lane has a purpose. Couple of years ago it was our job to take our aunt out for a long memory filled drive. So they could all go out to the church hall and decorate for her surprise birthday party.

We visited the little trailer court where the trailer still sat, with the same stairs. It had been repainted it was now blue and white instead of brown and white but it looked wonderful. So that was 50 years old. And people are still happily living there. It’s a nice little trailer park.

About 25 years ago the big lot across the street for me was divided and they put up two modular homes, which they called manufactured so hence my confusion. They have been occupied — both of them — for all those years with different families, one got used as a drug house — that was fun, and they look perfectly fine. They just re-roofed the one across the street for me couple years ago.

About the same time, down the freeway a bit, they built about 10 manufactured homes, modular homes, and they were much more expensive than the one across the street from me. In 15 years they looked terrible. A number of them have had massive amounts of work to done to them and they still look a little on the shoddy side, a couple of them have had no work done to them and they look like they’ll fall down in a decent wind.

Like anything in life, it matters who’s doing it. So find out who built that and you might get a better idea of how long it’ll last.

Old 07-25-2021, 03:10 PM

14,473 posts, read 12,101,318 times
"Manufactured Homes" are far more common, at least in this area, than "Modular homes". I am not sure I have ever actually walked in a "modular" home that was not considered a MFH, and I have walked hundreds of mfhs. But people are often not clear on these definitions.

Manufactured homes are usually going to be roughly rectangular, but can be double wide (two halves pushed together) or Triple wide (usually a bump out or L shape wing) All were built in a factory somewhere and trucked in, in two or more sections.

Upkeep is everything on them, like any home... especially choice of roofing and siding, especially in our rainy climate.

Many older MFH were sided, if not with vinyl siding, which feels cheap but is at least water-repelling, with an engineered pressboard that does NOT hold up well in damp and by now probably should have been replaced with HardiPlank or something else. Any of the older mfhs that still have the old pressboard are usually not looking good now.

Old 07-25-2021, 03:22 PM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Good info, everyone!

This area does get snow. It's at 6600 ft. The caution about snow is apt. That will probably prevent us from buying this HUD-Code home because we wouldn't be there much in the winter to deal with snow load. And I expect my spouse will object to the lack of a garage.

But I sure would enjoy the heck out of that area in the summer. Fresh air, tall pines, great views. The search continues.
How much snow would you commonly expect?
The roof trusses should have a snow load rating that is appropriate for the area where the home is sold and installed.
I only worked in the East.
IIRC, 30# per square foot was common in upstate NY and New England with 40# per square foot in Maine.

40#/SF is a lot of snow.

Old 07-25-2021, 03:32 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times
You guys are a treasure trove of information about manufactured homes. I am in awe.

Old 07-25-2021, 03:39 PM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
You guys are a treasure trove of information about manufactured homes. I am in awe.
18 to 20 years building and installing them should give a guy a bit of background....

Old 07-25-2021, 04:35 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,857,834 times
Quote:
Sounds like it might be a good idea to hire an inspector if we get serious about this.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...8404484_zpid/?
After just week in Pine Top, I can agree with your idea to get a house in the area. I was amazed at the prices in the area ( high). The pics look very nice and I hope it works out for you.

Old 07-25-2021, 06:22 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,452,962 times
Quote:
Good info, everyone!

Here's a website that is specifically about manufactured houses in Overgaard, AZ:

https://www.manufacturedhomes.com/ci...rgaard/Arizona

Old 07-26-2021, 08:03 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
Quote:
Sounds like it might be a good idea to hire an inspector if we get serious about this.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...8404484_zpid/?

It's a beautiful home; nicer than some site built homes I have seen here in Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate